*Official Schiit Magni/Modi 2 ( Uber ) Thread*
Oct 21, 2015 at 12:59 PM Post #1,201 of 2,577
I'm pumped I ordered M&M. Will I have buyers remorse for not going with a bifrost and asgard?

Not if you listen to your favorite music at high volume 
L3000.gif

Oct 21, 2015 at 1:41 PM Post #1,202 of 2,577
  when i turn ON th magni, there is a "click" sound after a few seconds from the right driver. (the headphones are already on my head)

is that normal?

so i turned ON the amp while the HP are disconnected and the MAGNI makes a click sound a few seconds after i flick the power button.

is it happening to me only?

Oct 21, 2015 at 2:42 PM Post #1,203 of 2,577

so i turned ON the amp while the HP are disconnected and the MAGNI makes a click sound a few seconds after i flick the power button.

is it happening to me only?

No it is part of the protection from power surges.

Oct 21, 2015 at 2:44 PM Post #1,204 of 2,577
I'm pumped I ordered M&M. Will I have buyers remorse for not going with a bifrost and asgard?

I would say no and you saved some $$$$.

Oct 21, 2015 at 5:47 PM Post #1,206 of 2,577
I leave mine in most of the time with volume turned all the way down.

Oct 21, 2015 at 7:17 PM Post #1,207 of 2,577
Hi guys. Are there any Canadian buyers here who can share their actual experience importing into Canada?

It seems straight forward to me....order direct factor in shipping charge, currency conversion and the est broker fee noted by Schiit and the HST. Can any Canadian buyers chime in and confirm if there are any other duties / taxes imposed by border?

I got my Magni 2 today. It was the base $99 and I paid $31 for the faster FedEx shipping (forgot the name) to Saskatchewan. Upon arrival, I had to pay $16 for GST+PST and not sure what else.

Oct 22, 2015 at 2:48 AM Post #1,209 of 2,577
I have restricted computer access as well. You can ask Schiit but I think the answer is obvious. You'd need to get admin permissions to add the driver and device.

Other option is to check if you have a digital output?

If you have spotify premium you can download the music

No digital outputs as an only alternative to running the dac without drivers.
Schiit support states Modi cannot be run in windows w/o drivers.

I'll have to infiltrate the IT and have someone install it.

Oct 22, 2015 at 6:21 AM Post #1,210 of 2,577
No digital outputs as an only alternative to running the dac without drivers.
Schiit support states Modi cannot be run in windows w/o drivers.

I'll have to infiltrate the IT and have someone install it.

is it just for the UBER version?
i have the MODI 2 and you can just plug it and enjoy. you will be limited to 24\96 though.

Oct 23, 2015 at 1:30 PM Post #1,213 of 2,577
I think it's pretty transparent with detail. If you have a not-so-good speakers, you won't enjoy it. 

I have decent set of bookshelf speakers. They're active self powered speakers. Ive been running my speakers direct from line out and frankly, its cleaner than when I route them through the uber. I can definitely hear the difference. There's some added warmth and some reduction in sound stage. It's the same when I swap out RCA cables. I'm surprised no one has noticed this yet. Source is a Dx90 btw.

Oct 24, 2015 at 3:29 AM Post #1,214 of 2,577
I have decent set of bookshelf speakers. They're active self powered speakers. Ive been running my speakers direct from line out and frankly, its cleaner than when I route them through the uber. I can definitely hear the difference. There's some added warmth and some reduction in sound stage. It's the same when I swap out RCA cables. I'm surprised no one has noticed this yet. Source is a Dx90 btw.

It is interesting, I am intend to buy JBL LSR305. Also wonder is it ok with Magni 2 Uber.... but what is your DAC ? I also have Modi 2 Uber for DAC.

Oct 24, 2015 at 3:30 AM Post #1,215 of 2,577
So, back in Luxembourg I had a Fiio E17 DAC/amp, going to ATH-M50s (rarely) and a pair of Adam A3Xs. It was very quiet, and very enjoyable.

I gave my Adams away when I moved to the US and re-built my rig:
Modi2 -> Magni2 Uber -> Rokit 5 G3s

Unfortunately I started getting some weird and, worst, distracting, interference. White noise, and a very faint radio-like signal through the left speaker.
I got a Wyrd but it seemed to just make it worse (hadn't noticed the radio noise pre-Wyrd).

Turns out I had a power and sound cable running in parallel. DOH. So that's corrected...

I am STILL hearing a slight hiss/white noise... And with headphones, I get some weird electronic noises in the right ear only. I can't seem to get rid of it. Funnily enough, plugging in a pair of Momentums didn't seem to produce the noise.
It's VERY distracting. Added to this that American houses are built out of paper and I can't play music very loud, all I hear is the noise :frowning2: Any ideas on how to improve the situation? I did make sure that no power and audio lines cross run in parallel.

I'm worried it may be due to my power: I have 2 x outlets only, with multiplug. One's a furman with surge protector and has 1 x Rokit, 1 x lamp, Wyrd, LCD screen. The other has a multi-plug with Magni2 + 1 x Rokit. Only the PC doesn't share an outlet.

I'd comment on sound quality, but:
1) The Rokit are definitely a step down to the Adam... bassier, less balanced. Sound nice, mind, and I knew about it: they're definitely cheaper stuff
2) I am only just re-ripping my CD collection to lossless (+300CDs... will take a while...) so I've not quite used the combo to its full potential!
However there is definitely nothing to complain about either; when free of the noise distractions I'll be able to better audit the stack.

Thanks for any tips!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back