Official Progressive Metal Thread (Metal/Djent/instrumental/jazz/fusion)
Jan 20, 2019 at 12:05 PM Post #62 of 549
Ok last one for the day as it's all about football, beer, brats and burgers.
This is really worth listening too if you have the time to invest. Personally, I think this is a masterpiece and a defining moment for this band if you've never heard it.

Jan 20, 2019 at 2:13 PM Post #65 of 549
I disagree. Covering that many bases would make it very difficult to keep up with all the posts. Plus, people that like prog rock may not like prog metal and vice versa. That is not that big a deal, but it will be hard to figure out what is what when browsing. I like having two distinct threads for metal and rock.

I probably shouldn't be commenting on this, since I'm not an expert on metal or progressive rock. But I can sort of see a justification for having a separate thread dedicated to the harder, more metallic (and maybe also undergound?) side of the progressive rock and jazz/fusion genres... if that's what this is actually about.

I'm still a bit fuzzy on the whole prog-metal thing. But starting to understand a little better from all the posts and info here.

Jan 20, 2019 at 2:19 PM Post #66 of 549
Another group that some here may enjoy is Fishbone. They are not prog-metal, per se. But they cross many of the same musical boundaries as the groups being posted here, including metal, funk, ska, etc.

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2019 at 2:48 PM Post #67 of 549
Another group that some here may enjoy is Fishbone. They are not prog-metal, per se. But they cross many of the same musical boundaries as the groups being posted here, including metal, funk, ska, etc.
Without sounding harsh which is definitely not my intent, but Fishbone is about as far from progressive metal as you can get. This is pure funk man! I’m not sure where you hear that they cross many boundaries being posted here. They’re cool if you’re into this stuff but it’s not for me for sure. Lol. No offense bro.

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2019 at 3:33 PM Post #68 of 549
Without sounding harsh which is definitely not my intent, but Fishbone is about as far from progressive metal as you can get. This is pure funk man! I’m not sure where you hear that they cross many boundaries being posted here. They’re cool if you’re into this stuff but it’s not for me for sure. Lol. No offense bro.

None taken. Forget I mentioned it. :)

Jan 20, 2019 at 7:53 PM Post #69 of 549
Hmm... I think we need more canonical stuff to clarify what prog metal is...

Dream Theater - "The Dance of Eternity" from Metropolis Pt. 2: Scenes from a Memory

Dream Theater - "A Nightmare to Remember" from Black Clouds & Silver Linings

Fates Warning - "Eye to Eye" from Parallels

Opeth - "The Lotus Eater" from Watershed

Jan 20, 2019 at 9:20 PM Post #70 of 549
Hmm... I think we need more canonical stuff to clarify what prog metal is...

Thank you for that, phthora. Don't knock yourself out on my account though. I pretty much get it at this point... I think.

I like some of the stuff y'all are posting. And some not so much. So I'm not sure if prog-metal is really my thing. I like to keep an open mind to new stuff though. So I'll keep listening, and maybe at some point, somethin will click, and I'll become more of a dyed in the wool fan... I'm not there yet though.

FYI, the Fishbone tracks I was referring to above were things like "Servitude" and "Swim", which have a more metallic vibe. And can be found on YT. These were before prog-metal was really a thing though, so they may not be people's cup of tea here... which is fine. No harm done I trust.

Jan 20, 2019 at 10:31 PM Post #71 of 549
It's a slow-burner, this one. Give it about five minutes.

Rishloo - "Dark Charade" from Living as Ghosts with Buildings as Teeth

Jan 21, 2019 at 6:37 AM Post #72 of 549
Thank you for that, phthora. Don't knock yourself out on my account though. I pretty much get it at this point... I think.

I like some of the stuff y'all are posting. And some not so much. So I'm not sure if prog-metal is really my thing. I like to keep an open mind to new stuff though. So I'll keep listening, and maybe at some point, somethin will click, and I'll become more of a dyed in the wool fan... I'm not there yet though.

FYI, the Fishbone tracks I was referring to above were things like "Servitude" and "Swim", which have a more metallic vibe. And can be found on YT. These were before prog-metal was really a thing though, so they may not be people's cup of tea here... which is fine. No harm done I trust.
Ok I did some more exploring and I can see where you can say the tracks Servitude and Swim could be prog metal. I can see it man! It's a LOT different then then 5 other songs I listened too. :) By the way, there was never any harm done, trust me. :) Keep posting away and ask questions as this is what this thread is all about. I just get a bit outspoken at times and express myself "bluntly" while slipping off my kid gloves, so please don't take anything personal.

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2019 at 11:39 AM Post #74 of 549
Some of the heavier stuff in recent years that I like:

"Gojira - Magma" - they evolved very much from plain death metal into something more structured, substantial and powerful. and proggier.

I love this 2 tracks, especially Silvera

Gojira - Silvera

Gojira - Stranded

"Leprous - Coal" an outstanding album
My favorite track
Leprous - Foe

And an excellent live performance:

Haken - Affinity, Vector albums - already some great tracks were posted so I'll post an older one.

Haken - Darkest Light

Jan 21, 2019 at 3:05 PM Post #75 of 549
New Soen album "Lotus" out February 1st. I think it will be good!

Soen - Lotus

Soen - Martyrs

New video for VOLA - Whaler

The Neal Morse Band - Welcome To The World 2

+ some older ones that I like a lot:

DEVIN TOWNSEND PROJECT - Deadhead (Live at Royal Albert Hall)

Leprous - The Price

Behold The Wall Of Sound! Mr. Townsend "showing off" his skills :wink:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back