Official NYC area / Regional Fall meet, November 14th, 2015 - Stamford Sheraton
Sep 23, 2015 at 10:37 AM Post #136 of 422
  Did you do the line out mod?  Yeah I know the AK120ii is likely the better value, but I do like my DSD (probably have 80 or so DSD albums).

No, I have past the point in my life where I want the external amp thing to be required. I went with the normal mod and use it directly. 

Sep 24, 2015 at 9:57 PM Post #137 of 422
  Did you do the line out mod?  Yeah I know the AK120ii is likely the better value, but I do like my DSD (probably have 80 or so DSD albums).

I can't hear the difference wtih DSD.  Also, there are a number of technical reasons why DSD should actually be less accurate, mathematically speaking, than certain other file types that take up much less space (like some lossless FLAC files, for example), as well as reasons why the differences should not be audible anyway.

Sep 25, 2015 at 11:09 AM Post #138 of 422

I can't hear the difference wtih DSD.  Also, there are a number of technical reasons why DSD should actually be less accurate, mathematically speaking, than certain other file types that take up much less space (like some lossless FLAC files, for example), as well as reasons why the differences should not be audible anyway.

Its not that I think its the DSD itself that makes it sound better, but that it seems the best masterings of albums tend to be in DSD since they know the audience are audiophiles.  If I need to go DSD to get those recordings, so be it.  

Sep 25, 2015 at 10:33 PM Post #139 of 422
  Its not that I think its the DSD itself that makes it sound better, but that it seems the best masterings of albums tend to be in DSD since they know the audience are audiophiles.  If I need to go DSD to get those recordings, so be it.  

That is an excellent point which I never did consider!

Sep 28, 2015 at 10:37 AM Post #140 of 422
I'll be coming. Bringing my heavily modded and altered, 5 times it's default size, no longer recognizable Little Dot MKVI+ amp with an Audio-GD NFB-1 dac and my HD800s 
k701smile.gif

Sep 28, 2015 at 10:53 AM Post #141 of 422
Looks heavily modded and just plain heavy!!:)

Sep 28, 2015 at 8:54 PM Post #144 of 422
Looks like 16 wheeler material!

Sep 28, 2015 at 10:10 PM Post #146 of 422
Wasn't there a movie something like this...they created THE FRANKENSTEIN MONSTER!

Sep 29, 2015 at 10:26 AM Post #149 of 422
  Eh, they will be inside the case when I'm done.
Here's the insides

Why yes, those are duelund cast capacitors in there :)

Dude that's such badass old-school electrical engineering right there.  I'm drooling all over my keyboard ^_^  My cousin George who got his EE degree at Carnegie Mellon would LOVE this ****, haha.

Sep 29, 2015 at 8:45 PM Post #150 of 422
I'd mentioned I was worried my list of gear was going to change before the meet.  Well now I have a pair of these amazing new old stock Telefunken E88CC for my Lyr 2.  These are circa 1966-1968 and are platinum graded and cryo treated from Upscale Audio.

These are by far the most amazing tubes I've tried so far.  The soundstage is just amazing and the detail is such that I'm hearing new things in songs I've heard countless times.  These were quite pricey for just tubes, but with the effect they have they are more than worth it.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back