Official NY/Regional Spring Meet, April 20 2013 impressions
Apr 20, 2013 at 6:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 163

SkinnyPuppy

500+ Head-Fier
thought we needed one of these. I was one of the youngest there, most people were very nice to me, with the exception of the mrspeakers rep, he was rude/passive aggressive to me. I ended up picking up a pair of Ortofon eq-7s on the cheap from Dimitri, very nice IEMs and Dimitri was very helpful.

My favorite headphones there were definitely the R10's. I just sat there in awe, listening to Kid A. No other headphones there had that effect on me.

So what do you guys think?

EDIT: Cleared things up with mrspeakers, was a misunderstanding

Apr 20, 2013 at 7:42 PM Post #2 of 163
MrSpeakers was really polite with me. He was also really informative when it came to details about his headphones and set up. I agree about the r10, easily the most comfortable and immersive headphone there. I believe I listened to the Amelie soundtrack on them and PJ Harvey.

I also enjoyed the he-300. Compared to the other headphones in hifimans line up, I feel they perform out of their price range. I even compared them side by side with the fidelio x1 and whie the x1 was more comfortable, the he-300 was superior in clarity and soundstage.

The Mad Dogs sounded great at the mrspeakers booth, but they sounded even better out of one fellows impedence matching LD3+. 
Overall I had a great time.

Apr 20, 2013 at 8:02 PM Post #3 of 163
First, thanks to bozebuttons, kenman345, and anyone else who made this excellent meet possible. It was my first and provided a fantastic opportunity to get to listen to all of the top headphones in one place. It was also nice to meet so many friendly, knowledgeable vendors and enthusiasts.

I really enjoyed the opportunity to listen to the HiFiMan 901, HE-6, and LCD-3. The surprise of the meet, though, was listening to kenman345's Altmann Tera-Player. Given the lack of a screen, I'd written this thing off for dead months ago, but I was blown away by how a) awesome it sounded, b) small and durable it was, and c) much faster and easier than I'd expected it was to navigate songs and albums. I still think it's wildly overpriced, but I may just have to suck it up and place an order.

All in all, it was well worth the four hours of driving and who knows how much in tolls. Thanks again to everyone for coming together to display some truly awesome gear.

Apr 20, 2013 at 8:33 PM Post #4 of 163
Dan from MrSpeakers was as nice to me this year as he was last year. In fact everyone was nice, as always. Getting a nice cable from Jude for my new ASG-1's was really icing on the cake.

I listened to everything I wanted to and more! Thanks to everyone who made this possible! Looking forward to the next one (and I swear I'll drag Roma101 there by any means necessary.)

The r10s were indeed fantastic! Loved listening to those. 

Apr 20, 2013 at 9:16 PM Post #5 of 163
This being my first meet, I have nothing to compare it to. However, I will say that it was totally awesome and an amazing experience. I really enjoyed the MrSpeakers booth, as well as the HiFiMAN and Ultimate Ears booths. Also, walking around and seeing everyone else's gear and set-ups was really cool. Also, Skinnypuppy, Dan from MrSpeakers was super kind and very nice. And how old are you (Because I'm 15 and I was there)?   

Apr 20, 2013 at 9:46 PM Post #6 of 163
Let's face it... The youngest person there was that 8 (?) year old that came with their parent. 

Apr 20, 2013 at 9:53 PM Post #7 of 163
The meet was fun as always and it's been a while since I went to a NY meet. The last one I went to was in white plains two years ago and I think the last meet they had in white plains as well.  It's great finally being able to match faces with usernames. It was great meeting jude after all this time on head-fi.

The rigs there were great. For some reason whenever I go to meets everything sounds great.

Mrspeakers had his Maddogs which were better than I anticipated. I thought they would be more warm and have less treble but sounded more balanced and really good. It definitely would be something I would be looking at if I needed a closed headphone.

Hifiman had a great set up that was also better than I thought. The HE6 with the EF6 and the HM801 (I think it was the HM801 at least) sounded very good. It was smooth, dynamic and powerful.

Dimitri from Musica Acoustics was great. You can tell he's not just a vendor but also very enthusiastic about the hobby as well. He was really excited about trying out what he had to offer and what he had usually isn't something that shows up very often in meets. He had some Ortofon, Fit Ears, Final Audio Design and then some models from companies I've never heard of such as Tralucent and Rhapsady. I'm sure I'm missing others as well. 

Aurisonics also had some in ears. They had the ASG-1 and ASG-2 Stealth. I liked the ASG-2 one better and sounded really smooth. I think that one was a hybrid with both dynamic and BA. I don't quite know where the crossover is but it sounded really smooth and well designed. The guys there also had a bunch of stories to tell.

All in all it was a great meet. I usually don't like the big meets since it's hard to do any real listening as was the case today but I've heard almost every set up they had before so it was just a good time meeting new head-fiers and catching up with the old ones. I ended up spending exactly how much I planned on prior to the meet and that's always a great thing. Some people also got some real bargains during the auction.

The rigs I liked the best was Justin's BHSE and the SR007 and of course the HD800 and Silver Ghost that I have to hear every meet. 

Apr 20, 2013 at 10:28 PM Post #8 of 163
Quote:
The Mad Dogs sounded great at the mrspeakers booth, but they sounded even better out of one fellows impedence matching LD3+. 

That would be me. :)  Ya, they seem like a good match for me too, but I know my ears aren't the best so it's good to hear others hear the same.

Apr 20, 2013 at 10:34 PM Post #9 of 163
I've been to loads of meets, and at this point, I attend mainly just to meet fellow headphone enthusiast pals and see familiar faces.  Which means I think I listened to all of two headphones/amps the whole time.  To me, these meets are just a fantastic way to hang out for a while with like minded folks. Plus, I love watching the auction!   Thanks Tom for setting this up!

Apr 20, 2013 at 10:35 PM Post #10 of 163
Unfortunately, I could only make it for a couple of hours, but, as always, the NY crew puts on a great meet.  It was great to see what at this point are old friends.  I spend more time talking than listening at meets these days, but there was a lot of great gear and a lot of excellent vendors.  Bozebuttons, as usual, did a great job.  To those of you who haven't made it to a meet yet, the NY Meets have some of the nicest people in the hobby.  Just a really great group, and I had a great time.  Thanks to all!

Apr 21, 2013 at 12:08 AM Post #11 of 163
I had a great time hanging out with everyone, as always. 

It was cool seeing all the MOT's (WOO, Donald North, Mr.Speakers, HiFiMan, and bunches more) but I missed a bunch of old faces :frowning2: 

Pictures to follow. Tomorrow. Or the next day. 

Apr 21, 2013 at 12:26 AM Post #12 of 163
Quote:
This being my first meet, I have nothing to compare it to. However, I will say that it was totally awesome and an amazing experience. I really enjoyed the MrSpeakers booth, as well as the HiFiMAN and Ultimate Ears booths. Also, walking around and seeing everyone else's gear and set-ups was really cool. Also, Skinnypuppy, Dan from MrSpeakers was super kind and very nice. And how old are you (Because I'm 15 and I was there)?   

i was 15 too, was with my introverted friend brian

Apr 21, 2013 at 10:50 AM Post #13 of 163
Quote:
First, thanks to bozebuttons, kenman345, and anyone else who made this excellent meet possible. It was my first and provided a fantastic opportunity to get to listen to all of the top headphones in one place. It was also nice to meet so many friendly, knowledgeable vendors and enthusiasts.

I really enjoyed the opportunity to listen to the HiFiMan 901, HE-6, and LCD-3. The surprise of the meet, though, was listening to kenman345's Altmann Tera-Player. Given the lack of a screen, I'd written this thing off for dead months ago, but I was blown away by how a) awesome it sounded, b) small and durable it was, and c) much faster and easier than I'd expected it was to navigate songs and albums. I still think it's wildly overpriced, but I may just have to suck it up and place an order.

All in all, it was well worth the four hours of driving and who knows how much in tolls. Thanks again to everyone for coming together to display some truly awesome gear.

I claim no responsibility in organizing the meet, only helping bring awareness of the meet up and other meet ups that are scheduled. 

I am glad you enjoyed taking a listen. It's a niche item but if it fits your needs well it is great. It's just pure music, nothing fancy extra, nothing not thought about though. It definitely isnt for everyone but it's got some design choices that allow it to provide a different user experience than any other device. 

I loved going to the meet up this year. I also enjoyed the group moving to the Terrace Diner afterwards. I love the Head-Fi community for how all I need to do at a meet is say, "Hello my name is Ken, my handle is 'Kenman345' " and I can start an interesting conversation right away on music theory or headphones they like or ones I like. Or just talking about the vendors at the meet up that sound really good (I'm looking at you Dan with your Mr. Speakers Mad Dog Headphones).

Overall the meeting seemed to be a great success with tons of items being auctioned off and lots of great conversation and listening going on. 

Apr 21, 2013 at 11:01 AM Post #14 of 163
Thank you Tom for hosting another great meet.

I loved seeing everyone who could make it.  As usual, I spent most of my time catching up and not so much time listening.  I did enjoy doing a comparison of the Stax 007/009 vs LCD-3 at Justin's table.  Very nice new amp in the GS-X mk2.

I also made some friends at the bar of the American Legion Hall.  Nice to chat with some old vets.

Apr 21, 2013 at 11:30 AM Post #15 of 163
Thanks to Tom and everyone. Loved talking to Dale Lott and Dimitri, Justin was very nice, too. It was fun hanging out a bit with and chatting with Rawrster, Ken and asking Sunny at the Hifiman table about her contact lenses.

I think the Kingsound electrostat will be a hit at $800 amp included, the Aurisonics AS-2 and ASG-2 should be very popular as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back