Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread
Nov 16, 2016 at 1:20 PM Post #8,626 of 10,664

If people say they can hear a difference, that's a bit of data.  Fair enough.  Maybe there is a difference there for some reason.  All we have is that some people say they can hear a difference.  The cause of this is unknown, so maybe best to just leave it at that.

However, it rankles a bit when people dismiss 'theory'.  People have confidently ascribed the alleged difference to 'jitter', so that's a theoretical claim right from the off, and its perfectly reasonable to point out it's a theory that doesn't seem to make sense and raises more questions than it answers.  If people don't like theory they shouldn't make theoretical claims in the first place!

Edit - also it reminds me that I'd be able to compare SSD and SD back-to-back myself, if some ratbag hadn't stolen my SSD ipod, so the topic is a sensitive one for that reason alone!

That's what I did after my ears detected the sound difference and I have never looked back. With that confirmation I am done with the SD's for good.

Now I don't know anything about audio theory, but when it comes to the sound to be judged by my ears I simply throw "theory" into toilet. I have done quite a bit of DIY's and certainly heard with my ears how audio could respond to the stuff you throw in there. I have never attempted to find any theory to justify why this why that, to me it's waste of time and useless. 

Nov 16, 2016 at 4:31 PM Post #8,627 of 10,664
Hi guys. Who has upgraded there iPod with a 2000 mAh or 3000 mAh battery? Please kindly post how long on average your battery lasts, I have a 3000 mAh battery in my 5.5 gen iPod and it's lasting just over 24 hours. I'm using a SD solo adapter ( Tarkan ) Please share your experiences.... Many thanks

I ´ve got a 1900 mAh battery in an iPod and it lasts forever.   But another iPod  with a 2000 mAh battery I ve made by myself (motherboard bought separately )drops quite fast. Both 5.5, original firmware.

Blame the iPod, I assume. Quick test: try another battery.

Cheers

Nov 16, 2016 at 6:34 PM Post #8,628 of 10,664
Hi guys. Who has upgraded there iPod with a 2000 mAh or 3000 mAh battery? Please kindly post how long on average your battery lasts, I have a 3000 mAh battery in my 5.5 gen iPod and it's lasting just over 24 hours. I'm using a SD solo adapter ( Tarkan ) Please share your experiences.... Many thanks

My daily driver (car iPod) has a 1900mAh (marked) battery, Apple firmware (5.5g 256 gb CF>SD Tarkan.)  Full charge to full depletion is a little over 35 hours of playback with no backlight/no fiddling with it - just set a playlist on repeat and took a time-lapse with a camera.

The last iPod I built up with a "3000mAh" (marked) battery gave around 38 hours of playback on a similar test.  It was a 6g, 512gb Tarkan 2x SD adapter.

My original 5.5g iPod's battery (850mAh) lasted around 8 hours when it was brand new and had the USB-eject/crash backlight-on bug.  When I decided to replace it due to wear, it was down to about 5 hours of playback with the screen off.

The battery indicator is just a battery voltage indicator.  The voltage doesn't drop linearly.  It drops faster at first from 4.2v to 3.8v, but drops slower from 3.8v to 3.7v for most of the battery's discharge.  Then around 3.5v the voltage will fall dramatically and damage the battery (which is why the iPod goes into battery protection if the battery is putting out less than 3.6v.)  You might find that the battery drops to "half" or less, and then just keeps on running for hours and hours due to the slowdown in voltage drop.  If you're using a newer battery, it might have a slightly different construction or chemistry and a slightly better (or, if you're unlucky worse) voltage curve.

Nov 16, 2016 at 9:36 PM Post #8,629 of 10,664
I got a 7th gen 80gb classic (I don't know how to tell 7 from 7.5) for $40. No cables and it's stuck in a boot loop, but the drive is going to be replaced anyway. Is that a decent deal? I hope there isn't a logic board problem. I will probably put my 512GB mSATA in if it can handle it on stock firmware.

Nov 17, 2016 at 12:08 AM Post #8,630 of 10,664
I ´ve got a 1900 mAh battery in an iPod and it lasts forever.   But another iPod  with a 2000 mAh battery I ve made by myself (motherboard bought separately )drops quite fast. Both 5.5, original firmware.

Blame the iPod, I assume. Quick test: try another battery.

Cheers

Where did you buy your 1900 mAh battery from? Please send me the link. I'm using sennheiser earphones, I'm thinking they are a battery hogger and use a lot of power?? Maybe that's why my battery last about 20 + hours and I have it on repeat with a artist that has many albums.

Nov 17, 2016 at 12:11 AM Post #8,631 of 10,664
My daily driver (car iPod) has a 1900mAh (marked) battery, Apple firmware (5.5g 256 gb CF>SD Tarkan.)  Full charge to full depletion is a little over 35 hours of playback with no backlight/no fiddling with it - just set a playlist on repeat and took a time-lapse with a camera.

The last iPod I built up with a "3000mAh" (marked) battery gave around 38 hours of playback on a similar test.  It was a 6g, 512gb Tarkan 2x SD adapter.

My original 5.5g iPod's battery (850mAh) lasted around 8 hours when it was brand new and had the USB-eject/crash backlight-on bug.  When I decided to replace it due to wear, it was down to about 5 hours of playback with the screen off.

The battery indicator is just a battery voltage indicator.  The voltage doesn't drop linearly.  It drops faster at first from 4.2v to 3.8v, but drops slower from 3.8v to 3.7v for most of the battery's discharge.  Then around 3.5v the voltage will fall dramatically and damage the battery (which is why the iPod goes into battery protection if the battery is putting out less than 3.6v.)  You might find that the battery drops to "half" or less, and then just keeps on running for hours and hours due to the slowdown in voltage drop.  If you're using a newer battery, it might have a slightly different construction or chemistry and a slightly better (or, if you're unlucky worse) voltage curve.

I wish I could get 35 hours + with my 5.5 gen, 256 GB cf to sd adapter. I'm using custom earphone that may be using a lot more juice than others?? I have a pair of sennheiser in ear earphones that are continually plugged in. I have tried to order another 3000 mAh battery on eBay.

Nov 17, 2016 at 6:05 AM Post #8,632 of 10,664
  I got a 7th gen 80gb classic (I don't know how to tell 7 from 7.5) for $40. No cables and it's stuck in a boot loop, but the drive is going to be replaced anyway. Is that a decent deal? I hope there isn't a logic board problem. I will probably put my 512GB mSATA in if it can handle it on stock firmware.

Try this link. It's a great deal.
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204217
Also found this post from the apple site: hope it works.  First what I would do is wait for it to reboot itself and as soon as the screen turns off begin holding the Center + Play/Pause buttons until Your iPod Enters Disk Mode and THEN plug it into your iMac and select "Restore". =) Also when you get the chance, Hold Menu + Center and as soon as the screen goes out, Hold Center + Previous/Rewind. You will get a White Screen, select "Manual Test" and then go to "IO" then "Hard Drive" and then select Hard Drive Smart Data and type every character on that screen up here, I will be able to tell you if your iPod's internal hard disk is going bad. Also how big is your iPod classic? 80GB, 120GB, 160GB?

Nov 17, 2016 at 3:37 PM Post #8,634 of 10,664
Since yours is 80gb model, unfortunately it is the 6th generation. 7th Generation is either 120 Gb or 160Gb.  According to the main page, it only supports up to 128gb flash drive on apple's original firmware. If using rock box, 512gb can be supported.

Nov 17, 2016 at 4:40 PM Post #8,635 of 10,664
Hi. Concerning flash mod of fat 6th generation classic 160GB, I am glad to report that I have made a breakthrough if I am the first one who have experimented this. The trick lies all in the flat cable connecting the motherboard and the hard disk. As anyone who would also suspecting that because the code printed on the motherboard are the same, maybe the connecters into the mother board are also identical. The answer to that question is yes! The ce-ata flat cable that the fat 160Gb uses shares the same design with its brothers that use PATA/zif hard drives. In another word, apple is using the same mother board design across 6th generation 80Gb, 160GB and later 7th generation 120gb and slim 160Gb!. As I have successfully tested with a brand new zif flat cable that was still manufactured in 2005 and advertised as for 5th generation and 6th generation 80gb and 7th generation iPod, after changing the flat cable the fat 160GB 6th generation classic is no different to any other model in terms of flash upgradability. Using a CF card to zif adapter validated the viability of the solution of changing flat cables to bypassing the proprietary ce-ata interface for use connecting a hard drive.

I would like to share lessons that I have learned however. There are 2 points in implementing the flash mod with fat 160gb 6th gen classic than other pata hard drive mod. First is that the plastic piece gluing the original ce-ata cable down to the mother board needs to be pried out as the new cable carries its own transparent plastic piece. The second point is that the cf board is facing down towards the motherboard just like the replaced ce-ata hard drive did, whose connecter was facing downwards. In another word, the connector on the cf board is facing away from you and buried underneath the board after installed. I tried with a 8Gb CF card with success. But I don't see any reason why cards with larger capacity would not work.

Anyone who owns a fat 6th generation 160GB can try it at home. Mine suffered from a hard drive failure which refused to pass the apple logo and in a endless rebooting loop. The hard drive produced abnormal noise when I tried to restore it. After the flash mod it is functioning normal again!
The ends into the motherboard of the ce-ata cable and more conventional zif cable are the same. The left is installed zif cable. On the right is the replaced ce-ata cable with has a much narrower other end.

​The replaced ce-ata 160GB hard drive and classic with CF adapter board. Notice the CF card is buried underneath under correct installation.

I got an 8 Gig iPod classic....

Nov 17, 2016 at 6:10 PM Post #8,636 of 10,664
I wish I could get 35 hours + with my 5.5 gen, 256 GB cf to sd adapter. I'm using custom earphone that may be using a lot more juice than others?? I have a pair of sennheiser in ear earphones that are continually plugged in. I have tried to order another 3000 mAh battery on eBay.

I should add that these were run with cheap $10 Sony earbuds from the days of yore.  I didn't want to test them without anything in the headphone jack, and was using my decent IEMs with another iPod at the time.

Nov 17, 2016 at 10:43 PM Post #8,637 of 10,664
PaulHu you saved me in the nick of time! I will pass on it if i cant even do 256gb on it.

I should add that these were run with cheap $10 Sony earbuds from the days of yore.  I didn't want to test them without anything in the headphone jack, and was using my decent IEMs with another iPod at the time.

You know even though some old earbuds suck, sony made a lot of really great ones too. :) two of my favorites I'll never get rid of are 90's sony models.

Nov 18, 2016 at 2:51 AM Post #8,638 of 10,664
Where did you buy your 1900 mAh battery from? Please send me the link. I'm using sennheiser earphones, I'm thinking they are a battery hogger and use a lot of power?? Maybe that's why my battery last about 20 + hours and I have it on repeat with a artist that has many albums.

I bought it here: https://es.aliexpress.com/item/high-capacity-1900mah-upgrade-li-ion-battery-for-ipod-5th-gen-video-30gb/32226273996.html?isOrigTitle=true
Unfortunately,  looks like is not available anymore:

edit: 
I found this sell. Apparently, it is the same battery. Even cheaper! https://es.aliexpress.com/store/product/High-Capacity-Upgraded-1900mAh-Internal-Battery-for-iPod-5th-gen-video-30gb/1244250_32226390946.html?ws_ab_test=searchweb0_0,searchweb201602_1_116_10065_117_10068_114_115_113_10084_10083_10080_10082_10081_10060_10061_10062_10056_10055_10054_10059_10078_10079_10073_10100_10096_10070_423_10052_10050_424_10051,searchweb201603_1&btsid=2fd2635b-b5cd-46f0-b9c6-4959be2a7da9

Nov 18, 2016 at 3:48 AM Post #8,639 of 10,664
WHat i'm most concerned about is these swelling batteries. I'll take and iPod with a stock bettery and a pocket power brick over a new battery iPod any day. Guess I could get into other mSATA options for that price range.

Nov 18, 2016 at 4:44 AM Post #8,640 of 10,664
OK guys hold my hand through this please.

I have a 512gb Samsung Evo mSATA all ready to go.

No iPods except some Minis.

Looking at what to pick up on eBay and everything is so expensive it makes me feel like I should give up on mSATA.

What is the best deal for the money I can do for a mSATA activated iPod? I have a SD enabled Mini to compare it to. I know different DAC chips and all but a comparison of the two over line out is what i would probably appreciart most. I don't wanna drop like 50 on an ipod, 40 on a msata adapter, just to find out I would have liked something like the Zishan DSD or a 256gb Mini iPod more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back