Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread
Jul 24, 2016 at 8:14 AM Post #8,147 of 10,664
On my 4th gen i cant get the sd card to work.

This is what normally happens,

Connect ipod to computer, it shows the apple logo, then a folder icon, then a flat battery, it stays on that screen for a while then it says do not disconnect.

Now sometimes it goes into the restore part on itunes. If this happens it downloads the restore and then says error 1437 cannot restore

If it doesnt, it will reset back to the apple logo and then go back through the same screens in a loop.

But disk mode does absolutely nothing, it seems to just make the ipod crash and i get messages saying cannot recognise the usb device.

I have no idea what to do, does this sound like a bad logic board?

Someone advised on the mac rumours forum to try and restore without the battery attached?

The battery is fully charged
Sandisk extreme pro 64gb micro sd card to sd card adapter,
Komputerbay professional 32gb 266x CF card
Iflash CF card
Iflash SD to CF adapter

Both cards get to the restore in itunes but fail on thos error 1437

Jul 24, 2016 at 4:15 PM Post #8,150 of 10,664

ive got that cable, still doesnt work

The Restore loop is a well known phenomena and typically means an incompatible storage card.

I particularly found that to happen with some brands of CF cards, although I don't have a great point of comparison with SD cards as I quickly settled on PNY which just work, and never went back.

The behavior you see is exactly the same when using CF or SD cards?

I'm not sure why you would also sometimes see a flat battery icon, but you said the battery is charged? Have you tried to plug-in to an AC wall adapter and give it a charge that way? Sometimes that will help with certain iPod models, even if you think it is charged, try that anyway.

Lastly, are you sure your 30-pin sync cable and the USB port it is connected to are working well?

Jul 24, 2016 at 6:13 PM Post #8,151 of 10,664
The Restore loop is a well known phenomena and typically means an incompatible storage card.

I particularly found that to happen with some brands of CF cards, although I don't have a great point of comparison with SD cards as I quickly settled on PNY which just work, and never went back.

The behavior you see is exactly the same when using CF or SD cards?

I'm not sure why you would also sometimes see a flat battery icon, but you said the battery is charged? Have you tried to plug-in to an AC wall adapter and give it a charge that way? Sometimes that will help with certain iPod models, even if you think it is charged, try that anyway.

Lastly, are you sure your 30-pin sync cable and the USB port it is connected to are working well?

The usb ports are fine on my computer, all ports work with no issues, i have checked the battery with a multi meter abd also the battery port on the logic board. All are working.

Everytime i have the usb cable in it always shows a empty battery icon in the loop. I have never had the loop that didnt show the empty battery icon with the zig zag. I have tried a working hard drive on it and it wont restore that either.

Jul 24, 2016 at 8:16 PM Post #8,155 of 10,664
If you have an AC wall charger, try it. Plug it in and leave it for little while, see if you then get any different behavior. 

Its all really odd, it needed a new battery, so changed that and ever since changing the battery it has donr the empty battery symbol. I have tried two different new batteries and its still the same. The ipod worked but didnt hold charge, hence changing the battery. There were no issues with hard drive either, i just wanted more storage.

I cant see how i would would need a new hd ribbon if it was working before removing the battery.

Ill leave it plugged in and see what happens. My 7th gen on the other hand was super simple, just swapped in the iflash and reconnected some wires and it restored straight away.

Jul 25, 2016 at 12:52 AM Post #8,156 of 10,664
Its all really odd, it needed a new battery, so changed that and ever since changing the battery it has donr the empty battery symbol. I have tried two different new batteries and its still the same. The ipod worked but didnt hold charge, hence changing the battery. There were no issues with hard drive either, i just wanted more storage.

I cant see how i would would need a new hd ribbon if it was working before removing the battery.

Ill leave it plugged in and see what happens. My 7th gen on the other hand was super simple, just swapped in the iflash and reconnected some wires and it restored straight away.

Hi Tallorder24,

I'm sorry I can't add anything useful, but I can relate. Like MikeyFresh said this is a well-known issue. I've done several of these flash upgrades now, and twice it's happened to me (with 5th gen devices). There doesn't appear to be any rhyme or reason why it happens. The first one "cured" itself after a couple of resets. The last one turned into a very frustrating experience. All I did was change the spinning drive to a flash card and it went into the restore loop. I disassembled it and reassembled it several times, and it refused to boot. I changed ribbon cables, batteries, left it on the AC charger for awhile, manually formatted the SD card on my Mac and nothing worked. I googled for answers and got an extensive list of different things that people had tried, each one a little different than the other. Lots of people had some crazy and unorthodox fixes, which made no sense, but for some reason, it would result in fixing their problem.

Just as I was about to give up on it, I (again) disconnected and reconnected the flash adapter, turned it on and it came up to the "connect to iTunes" screen. From there, it went through the restore process and has been working great since. So, I wish I could give you a definitive answer on what would fix it, but I really can't. But, you're not alone, and I wish you luck in getting it taken care of.

Jul 25, 2016 at 1:05 AM Post #8,157 of 10,664
This must be why I was met with crickets the first few times I asked a similar question. It's just hard to explain. I put 2 pny 256gb cards in a tarkan adaptor and loaded up the music. I also installed a large capacity battery. I have about 80gb left but a ton of tracks. I didn't discriminate. Was planning on editing down everything after. Eventually, when I had time, I connected it and the computer no longer recognized it. It does something with the battery that shows a type of recognition, but nothing is showing up anywhere, including disc utility. I have a MacBook Pro from 2011, but I Also tried on a newer MacBook Air. With all updated software. I will try a PC at some point. I guess I'll try the hard drive ribbon. Honestly, I think that's the issue. There may be a pin that got corrupted. It charges and plays all the music fine. I'm unable to search "songs". As it will crash while doing so. But artist-album-song works fine. Not the end of the world, but frustrating.

Jul 25, 2016 at 9:09 AM Post #8,158 of 10,664

Hi Tallorder24,

I'm sorry I can't add anything useful, but I can relate. Like MikeyFresh said this is a well-known issue. I've done several of these flash upgrades now, and twice it's happened to me (with 5th gen devices). There doesn't appear to be any rhyme or reason why it happens. The first one "cured" itself after a couple of resets. The last one turned into a very frustrating experience. All I did was change the spinning drive to a flash card and it went into the restore loop. I disassembled it and reassembled it several times, and it refused to boot. I changed ribbon cables, batteries, left it on the AC charger for awhile, manually formatted the SD card on my Mac and nothing worked. I googled for answers and got an extensive list of different things that people had tried, each one a little different than the other. Lots of people had some crazy and unorthodox fixes, which made no sense, but for some reason, it would result in fixing their problem.

Just as I was about to give up on it, I (again) disconnected and reconnected the flash adapter, turned it on and it came up to the "connect to iTunes" screen. From there, it went through the restore process and has been working great since. So, I wish I could give you a definitive answer on what would fix it, but I really can't. But, you're not alone, and I wish you luck in getting it taken care of.

Thanks for your response, its been highly frustrating this reboot loop problem. I am actually giving up on this one, its giving me too much stress. I'm going to throw thing thing out of the window lol.

I have my main one the 7th gen working great and will leave it at that.

Jul 26, 2016 at 1:38 AM Post #8,159 of 10,664
Thanks for your response, its been highly frustrating this reboot loop problem. I am actually giving up on this one, its giving me too much stress. I'm going to throw thing thing out of the window lol.

I have my main one the 7th gen working great and will leave it at that.

Dus you inspect your battery connector? I have heard some of these weird problems are because of that.

Jul 26, 2016 at 8:33 AM Post #8,160 of 10,664
Dus you inspect your battery connector? I have heard some of these weird problems are because of that.

I checked the battery terminals with a multi meter and there is power going to it, checked the battery as well and its fully charged. But when the ipod is connected to computer it reports that the battery is empty showing the empty battery icon with the zig zag on it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back