Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread
Jul 23, 2016 at 11:44 AM Post #8,116 of 10,664
Yay! Got my Tarkan adapter and it works great with the 256 GB SD card. Obviously the adapter I purchased was not capable of handling the larger storage card.

My thanks to Orpheu, MikeyFresh & iMig for pointing me in the right direction, I really appreciate it! I can finally ditch this 240 GB spinning drive.

For the record, I'm not sure what its limit is, but for sure, this adapter will not support a 256 GB card:

Micro SATA Cables #B004FD1D2C
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B004FD1D2C/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I'm guessing it will support 128 GB since many people report using it like that. I assumed a 256 GB card would work, but assumed wrong :frowning2:

Jul 23, 2016 at 12:05 PM Post #8,117 of 10,664
  Yay! Got my Tarkan adapter and it works great with the 256 GB SD card. Obviously the adapter I purchased was not capable of handling the larger storage card.

My thanks to Orpheu, MikeyFresh & iMig for pointing me in the right direction, I really appreciate it! I can finally ditch this 240 GB spinning drive.

For the record, I'm not sure what its limit is, but for sure, this adapter will not support a 256 GB card:

Micro SATA Cables #B004FD1D2C
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B004FD1D2C/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I'm guessing it will support 128 GB since many people report using it like that. I assumed a 256 GB card would work, but assumed wrong :frowning2:

No problem, you are welcome, also the problem was not that adapter, it was the CF to SD one i think.

Jul 23, 2016 at 12:07 PM Post #8,118 of 10,664
Ok, now that I've updated my 5.5 gen iPod to flash storage, I have a second iPod I'd like to update. It's a 5.0 gen. It originally came with a 30 GB drive. I'd like to use the Tarkan quad card, but have two questions:

1- I'm guessing no matter what the number of cards are, the iPod recognizes the total capacity as one logical disk? In other words, there's no switching to "Card #2" or anything like that, correct?

2- is the 30 GB model capable of handling this larger capacity? I had read once there was a difference in the 30GB and 80GB logic boards, and the 30GB board had certain storage limitations. Would I have any problems taking it to 512 GB?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Jul 23, 2016 at 12:22 PM Post #8,119 of 10,664

Wow!  I didn't think about that being the issue, but you're right. A little more research on those adapters came up with this one that is advertised to support up to 2 TBs, so perhaps that adapter wasn't the issue after all. Regardless, the Tarkan adapter worked perfectly, so that's what I'll be using in the future.

https://smile.amazon.com/DIGIGEAR-SLIM-CF-Adapter-WiFi-SD/dp/B00XO2KSEO/ref=pd_sim_147_3?ie=UTF8&dpID=51rRiHnfwrL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL320_SR246%2C320_&psc=1&refRID=2VD1T1797G7GP5Y0PKXH

Thanks for pointing that out, good to know! :wink:

Jul 23, 2016 at 12:57 PM Post #8,122 of 10,664
Hi MikeyFresh,

Sorry for any confusion...

From OWC I got the Tarkan iFlash single CF, using it with a PNY 256GB SDXC card.
https://eshop.macsales.com/item/Tarkan/BUNDLEUSD/

This setup worked perfectly.

Now, the trouble I was having came from these two items:

CF adapter:
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EPMWT1M/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

ZIF adapter:

I guessed that the ZIF adapter was the problem, but Orpheu pointed out that it could've been the CF>SD adapter, which I now believe is correct. Hope this helps clear things up.

Jul 23, 2016 at 1:04 PM Post #8,124 of 10,664
Got an iPod Classic from eBay with a Red X error. Assumed it was something with the hard drive so used an iFlash Solo but it still showed the error. Red X after 2 seconds of the Apple logo appearing.

Disconnected all memory devices (iFlash/hard drive) and turned on the iPod but it still shows the Red X and the device powers on only when it is plugged in to a power source.

On the Tarkan website, it says I have to use a different HDD connector because I have the 160gb thick iPod Classic. Yet to get it but do you guys think it's something with the logic board (820-2168)?

What other logic boards can I use instead of the one I have? Would a 5/5.5 gen logic board work?

Thanks!

Jul 23, 2016 at 1:05 PM Post #8,125 of 10,664

It comes with the CF>SD adapter built-in. I just slid my PNY SD card in it. I noticed it does look a little different than the iFlash-solo shown on the iFlash site. The OWC model feels like a plastic CF body, whereas the one on the iFlash site looks to be metal? But, it did work with no problems. It took all night, but it copied my entire library over (about 14K songs, plus some video and podcasts) and everything seems to work fine. But my next Tarkan purchase will be directly from their site.

Jul 23, 2016 at 1:09 PM Post #8,126 of 10,664

Yes, I remember now, it was a limitation of the number of tracks. Most of my music is lossless, and I'm working on trying to replace the lossy ones. So, I may sell my 30GB and look for a 5.5 gen. Thanks for confirming this.

Jul 23, 2016 at 1:21 PM Post #8,128 of 10,664
Originally Posted by alien papaya /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Got an iPod Classic from eBay with a Red X error. Assumed it was something with the hard drive so used an iFlash Solo but it still showed the error. Red X after 2 seconds of the Apple logo appearing.

Disconnected all memory devices (iFlash/hard drive) and turned on the iPod but it still shows the Red X and the device powers on only when it is plugged in to a power source.

On the Tarkan website, it says I have to use a different HDD connector because I have the 160gb thick iPod Classic. Yet to get it but do you guys think it's something with the logic board (820-2168)?

What other logic boards can I use instead of the one I have? Would a 5/5.5 gen logic board work?

Thanks!

------

From my reading, I don't think the logic boards are interchangeable (v5 to v6). I think I read the frame is somewhat different. Others here probably know the answer. I would suggest checking the battery connection again.

I don't mean to scare you, but years ago on one of my first iPod projects, I put one back together and got the "www.apple.com/support/ipod" error, which lasted a few seconds, then the screen would blank out, restart, followed by a message similar to Low battery, please wait... or something like that. It kept repeating this cycle. After a few checks, I found that the battery connector had broken off the logic board. Hopefully, that's not your issue, but just something to be aware of. Good luck!

Jul 23, 2016 at 1:32 PM Post #8,129 of 10,664

The Gen 5.5 was also available for a time in a 30GB storage 32mb RAM configuration if I'm not mistaken.

If you get a Gen 5.5 find one that you know was originally a 60/80GB model with 64mb RAM on the logic board.

Yep, that's what I'm going to look for. I would feel better about starting out with one of that capacity than taking a chance on the smaller one. It's great reviving my old iPod again. I'd been using my iPhone in the car so much lately, I'd forgotten how good these 5th gen models sound. There is definitely a difference in the mid and upper ranges, much brighter, which I prefer.

Thanks again for your help!

Jul 23, 2016 at 1:50 PM Post #8,130 of 10,664
  Originally Posted by alien papaya /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Disconnected all memory devices (iFlash/hard drive) and turned on the iPod but it still shows the Red X and the device powers on only when it is plugged in to a power source.

On the Tarkan website, it says I have to use a different HDD connector because I have the 160gb thick iPod Classic. Yet to get it but do you guys think it's something with the logic board (820-2168)?

Thanks!

------

From my reading, I don't think the logic boards are interchangeable (v5 to v6). I think I read the frame is somewhat different. Others here probably know the answer. I would suggest checking the battery connection again.

I don't mean to scare you, but years ago on one of my first iPod projects, I put one back together and got the "www.apple.com/support/ipod" error, which lasted a few seconds, then the screen would blank out, restart, followed by a message similar to Low battery, please wait... or something like that. It kept repeating this cycle. After a few checks, I found that the battery connector had broken off the logic board. Hopefully, that's not your issue, but just something to be aware of. Good luck!

That's a bummer. I'm thinking of changing the logic board if none of the other options work out but it'd be nice if I could use a different version/gen logic board :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back