Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread
Feb 28, 2015 at 12:26 AM Post #5,191 of 10,664

Gamestop was running a promotion.  The last one is one I was able to put in a Classic housing but it is indeed another 30GB 5.5G

Our GameStop suck, they used to carry iPod now they just plain suck. I don't even buy games there.

I should have bought the two PS4's somewhere else... tired of them.

OK, enough of me ranting lol

Feb 28, 2015 at 7:23 AM Post #5,194 of 10,664
Is there any difference between sound of ipod 6.5th Gen 160 (thin) and iPod 6th Gen 160GB (Thick)? I have thick one and sound is terrible, peace of **** without amp, with Fiio E12 it sounds OK. Sound of 5.5gen iPod is much much better, sounds much louder and dont need amp....

Feb 28, 2015 at 7:28 AM Post #5,195 of 10,664
  Is there any difference between sound of ipod 6.5th Gen 160 (thin) and iPod 6th Gen 160GB (Thick)? I have thick one and sound is terrible, peace of **** without amp, with Fiio E12 it sounds OK. Sound of 5.5gen iPod is much much better, sounds much louder and dont need amp....

yes there is, I read that the 6th gen has more components after the DAC, in 7th (thin) Apple removed some components to make the sound better and the 5th sounds more or less same as 7th

Feb 28, 2015 at 8:06 AM Post #5,196 of 10,664
I bought five 80GB 5.5 gens for $60 each this month but I was afraid to reveal my source here because they were disappearing so fast!  I guess my secret's out now.  You can still buy up to three 30GB 5.5 gens on the website for $52 each until the end of the day if anyone needs one.  Also, If anyone needs any working OEM 80GB drives for a steal, I've got them piling up right now.

Feb 28, 2015 at 8:38 AM Post #5,197 of 10,664
I can't speak for the difference between those two models but I own a 6th gen thin 120GB that was my daily user for 5 years, and the 80GB 5.5 gens (using SD cards and Tarkan adapters) sound noticeably better both with my earbuds and in the car.  If I'd known I would have downgraded to an older one a long time ago.  The menus are a little snappier and the interface a little nicer in the newer models but I think it's worth the tradeoff.  I also have a 7th gen thick with a 240GB HDD and I still prefer the sound of the 5.5 gens.  

Feb 28, 2015 at 12:25 PM Post #5,198 of 10,664
  I can't speak for the difference between those two models but I own a 6th gen thin 120GB that was my daily user for 5 years, and the 80GB 5.5 gens (using SD cards and Tarkan adapters) sound noticeably better both with my earbuds and in the car.  If I'd known I would have downgraded to an older one a long time ago.  The menus are a little snappier and the interface a little nicer in the newer models but I think it's worth the tradeoff.  I also have a 7th gen thick with a 240GB HDD and I still prefer the sound of the 5.5 gens.  

I'm still curious to know how much the shorter battery life of the 5/5.5 gens vs 6/7/7.5 gens is down to the different drives, and how much to the circuitry itself.  I.e. how much difference is there in battery life if they use the same media?

Mar 1, 2015 at 4:11 PM Post #5,199 of 10,664
Anyone order a milliamp battery recently? I just tried and I'm redirected to iresq.com. Their batteries are $24.99 + $8 shipping. Is milliamp out of business? Anyone try the iresq battery? Any other battery recommendations? (Not the 2000mah. I've got the sdxc set up)

Mar 1, 2015 at 10:04 PM Post #5,200 of 10,664
  Anyone order a milliamp battery recently? I just tried and I'm redirected to iresq.com. Their batteries are $24.99 + $8 shipping. Is milliamp out of business? Anyone try the iresq battery? Any other battery recommendations? (Not the 2000mah. I've got the sdxc set up)

Try to email Jenna at Milliamp:

service@milliamp.com

Mar 2, 2015 at 4:22 PM Post #5,201 of 10,664

I'm still curious to know how much the shorter battery life of the 5/5.5 gens vs 6/7/7.5 gens is down to the different drives, and how much to the circuitry itself.  I.e. how much difference is there in battery life if they use the same media?

I'm running test right now with a new battery and 5th 30GB (HDD is new) then same battery in a 7th 160GB (maybe with same 30GB HDD).

Test from last weekend shows that the black battery sold on eBay will last about 33h in a 7th 160GB and the battery isn't even new.

Mar 3, 2015 at 3:49 AM Post #5,202 of 10,664

I'm running test right now with a new battery and 5th 30GB (HDD is new) then same battery in a 7th 160GB (maybe with same 30GB HDD).

Test from last weekend shows that the black battery sold on eBay will last about 33h in a 7th 160GB and the battery isn't even new.

Thanks - that would be useful to know (with same drive)

I don't know if its just me, but I have found that the 5/5.5 gens sync at about 1/2 to 2/3 the speed of the 7.5gens, so loading up an upgraded one is a very long process. 

Though of course with rockbox+5.0 gen you can get round that entirely, so I'm tending to think the best options are 5.0gen with rockbox or 7.5gen with original firmware...unless its a terapod with anything less than FLACs, in which case rockbox might be unavoidable.  Battery life is another thing to take into account (I take no sides on the 5 vs 6 vs 7 sound quality argument!).

Mar 3, 2015 at 1:48 PM Post #5,204 of 10,664
I now gathered now a bunch of 5G/5.5G iPods myself

already managed to pry one open since I was curious have a nice silicone sleve, a used leather sleeve, a alloy (?) cover protection boxy type and a simple faux leather cover
a spare battery for a 5G and a 128GB SDXC
I orded two spare phone jacks, severall batteries and 6 kits ZIF to CF > CF to SDXC from Tarkan
will use one unit myself, one unit for my beloved wife and two others I am not quite sure yet.. either sell them to subsidise my project.

Still I have to find the "best" overall headphone (or lod > headphone  amp > headphone ) combination for my wife: she own Sony MDR-V55 (white) and before that she had AKG K518 in white until the earpads teard, the cable was all worked up and she tossed them (without me asking)
She quite enjoys the sound with Sennheiser HD518 on the TV and tried it too with her old iPod Nano 3G 8GB (which sold for surprising 62 EUR)

Mar 3, 2015 at 2:09 PM Post #5,205 of 10,664
The previous post implies a file transfer improvement with rock box. I would suggest that file transfers under rockbox are problematic.

The point about Rockbox (though only with 5.0 gen) is you don' t have to do 'file transfers' as such, you just take the ssd or whatever out of the pod and connect it directly to the PC motherboard and copy the files over normally. which is a heck of a lot faster [you might already know this, and just not realise that's what I'm referring to]. 

With the normal firmware the tracks have to be in Apple's stupid-and-unnecessarily-annoying scrambled word-salad directory structure rather than a simple artist/album directory structure, so I don't see how you could do that (unless I'm missing a trick?).  And with anything later than 5th gen I don't think it can be done even with Rockbox because of the non-standard disk formatting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back