Official HIFIMAN HE1000 Impressions Thread
Mar 16, 2017 at 8:45 PM Post #2,956 of 3,817
  I've demo'd this trio extensively at home.  The Z1R for me isn't in the same ballpark so it comes down the Utopia v HEK v2.  That is purely a matter of personal preference...

I think they certainly are in the same ballpark. 

Mar 16, 2017 at 9:47 PM Post #2,957 of 3,817
Trilogy 931 versus Jot Headphone amp comparison with HEK V2? Wonder if any amp will be needed when pairing Hugo 2 with HEK V2??? Real question is whether the Hugo 2 will have enough to fully power the HEK?

I was interested in Hugo 2 pairing as well but no one can answer that at the moment so have to wait. Mojo and Hugo1 has similar amplification if I am not wrong and via Mojo HE1000 does not come alive (I only have V1)

I am using Violectric V850 Dac -> balanced to V281 Amp -> balanced Moon Audio Silver dragon to He1000 V1. It is absolutely great- very very musical and at 21db out from V850 I only need 9clock volume at 0 gain . V281 is of course only of those very rare amps that can do HE6 (50Ohm) well and can delivery ~2W @40+Voltage at 600Ohms for T1 and HD800 (I have not seen this in any Schitt, Moon Audio Neo 430 or even Audio GD  Master series amps that achieve same level of spec )

Mar 16, 2017 at 10:11 PM Post #2,958 of 3,817
I do love my HE1K version one, through my Gungnir multibit dac and Crimson amp. However I do regret being a slackdog and not upgrading my cans to version two. I hope the company allows further upgrades at a later date.

Mar 17, 2017 at 12:07 PM Post #2,959 of 3,817
I do love my HE1K version one, through my Gungnir multibit dac and Crimson amp. However I do regret being a slackdog and not upgrading my cans to version two. I hope the company allows further upgrades at a later date.

They are still allowing you to upgrade currently.....here's the link:  HiFiMan HEK Loyalty Upgrade Program

Mar 17, 2017 at 3:18 PM Post #2,961 of 3,817
Trilogy 931, SCHIIT Jotunheim or MicroZOTL2 for HEK V2 with Hugo 2? Which would have best synergy?

I think only your ears can answer that. What one person prefers another may not.

I cannot see how you could not like the 931 and its very neutral allowing the headphone to work its magic bit that's not to say you would not like one of the others more.

I think with the MicroZOTL being an OTL design it would suit the HEK less as OTL designs tend to favour high impendence headphones but have not heard it.

Mar 17, 2017 at 3:44 PM Post #2,962 of 3,817
I love my MicroZOTL2 with my HEK v1 (should be getting the v2 at some point), many others do as well. Can't compare to the other amps you've mentioned, though.

Mar 17, 2017 at 4:22 PM Post #2,964 of 3,817
I'm supposed to get the v2 (and return the v1), though I don't know the timing, they implied it could take a bit. I'm supposed to post my impressions when I get it. (I did get to compare my v1 and a v2 I borrowed at a meet, but mine had a Norne Zoetic cable, the meet was noisy, not a great place to evaluate. But, I didn't hear big differences in these conditions. I'll post when I can do a good comparison).

Mar 17, 2017 at 5:28 PM Post #2,966 of 3,817
  Is it just me or $650 is a ripoff for the upgrade? Comparing to MrSpeakers, who upgrade Ether to Ether Flow for $350 and create a significant sonic improvement

while both are of questionable asking price, I feel the flow upgrade for $350 is actually more of a rip off.  The air guide seemly is the only major change for the flow.  at least v2 they have to change headband, pads, the entire wood cup assembly, and cables

Mar 17, 2017 at 5:42 PM Post #2,967 of 3,817
Trilogy 931, SCHIIT Jotunheim or MicroZOTL2 for HEK V2 with Hugo 2? Which would have best synergy?

Why not just wait until you have the Hugo²? You know, it is a DAC and headphone amp in one. There's no reason to assume it won't be able to drive the HE1000 properly. My Hugo¹ does. It would be downright absurd to re-amplify the Hugo²'s headphone output just for creating «synergy» and at the same time sacrifice accuracy and transparency from the direct drive, especially considering that the lack of an extra headphone stage in the Hugo is a unique feature in the interest of superior sound quality, not least thanks to ultra-low distortion (hear Rob Watts' comments on this).

There's a better way of creating «synergy» if need be – it's called equalizing. Moreover, replacing the original cable is/was a must with the HE1000. The reports about the cables that come with the V2 are a bit mixed, but I can't imagine that it wouldn't benefit from a better cable as well.

Mar 18, 2017 at 2:38 AM Post #2,968 of 3,817
Why not just wait until you have the Hugo²? You know, it is a DAC and headphone amp in one. There's no reason to assume it won't be able to drive the HE1000 properly. My Hugo¹ does. It would be downright absurd to re-amplify the Hugo²'s headphone output just for creating «synergy» and at the same time sacrifice accuracy and transparency from the direct drive, especially considering that the lack of an extra headphone stage in the Hugo is a unique feature in the interest of superior sound quality, not least thanks to ultra-low distortion (hear Rob Watts' comments on this).

There's a better way of creating «synergy» if need be – it's called equalizing. Moreover, replacing the original cable is/was a must with the HE1000. The reports about the cables that come with the V2 are a bit mixed, but I can't imagine that it wouldn't benefit from a better cable as well.

Why is it absurd. Many people use just the Dac of the Hugo preferring another amp instead.

Have you ever heard any if the amps in question, can you be sure they do not benefit the sound? If you have never heard a Hugo / proper amp combo you cannot make this comment.

I would take a proper amp over one squeezed into a portable dac any day...

Mar 18, 2017 at 3:55 AM Post #2,969 of 3,817
I liked my Hugo to amp the Fostex 900 and LCD x in the past
Great sinergy with senn momentum and all the in ears I play on it
Make the lcd3, hd800 and he1000 sound slow and muffle and nothing special imo
Great dac overall

Mar 18, 2017 at 9:34 AM Post #2,970 of 3,817

Why is it absurd. Many people use just the Dac of the Hugo preferring another amp instead.

Have you ever heard any if the amps in question, can you be sure they do not benefit the sound? If you have never heard a Hugo / proper amp combo you cannot make this comment.

I would take a proper amp over one squeezed into a portable dac any day...

You don't seem to be aware that you can't use the Hugo just as a DAC with headphones, you always use its built-in «headphone amp» as well. The RCA outputs use the same signal path as the headphone output, so the Hugo's «amp» section will always be in the signal path, too. Hence «another amp» does not apply. That means, if you think the Hugo's output signal be not good enough for your needs, there's no way to «improve» it, the added amp will just alter it, degrade it further by adding its own harmonic-distortion pattern to the mix. «But some people like harmonic distortion» (quoting Rob Watts), as it can indeed make the sound fuller, warmer and more forgiving to tonal flaws (e.g. problems with the tonal balance) in the chain. It's easy to be convinced that the Hugo's «amp» be not good enough by such a «powerful» demonstration. However, euphony and accuracy are sometimes opposites.

If you're interested, read some of Rob's posts regarding the issue and particularly why there's no dedicated headphone amp in the Hugo (its line-out stage drives headphones directly).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back