Official HIFIMAN HE1000 Impressions Thread
Mar 9, 2017 at 12:49 AM Post #2,911 of 3,817
Warmer side suggests Tubes... Tried Schiit products? I dug out my old Schiit Lyr to power my HE1000v2s whilst my dealer friend borrowed my Moon Nēo 430HAD and was blown away! Mind you, the 'rolled' tubes in it are rather expensive...

So schiit with different tubes better than moon 430?. Can u please provide some additional details?

I do not have schiit or moon audio gear but have violectric v281 but have heard moon 430 as a good amp. Do u like tube colouration better with hek?

Mar 9, 2017 at 12:54 AM Post #2,912 of 3,817
Trust me-the 931 drives the HEK's extremely well.

Don't forget sometimes the headline figure is misleading because an amp needs a sufficiently good power supply to have current on reserve for swings in impedence and therefore load with changes in frequency.

Sometimes an amp with a seemingly high output struggles to deliver without distortion due to the power supply not having sufficient amppage to cope with sudden power swings and vice versa.

The 931 will drive house bricks and pillows I am pretty sure.

It's utterly effortless with no hint of distortion on the HEK.

Edit: bear in mind that's very nearly 1.6W into 32 ohm which the HEK is and this is where the power supply starts to matter. If the HEK (and this is for discussions sake-I don't have the impedence curve) dips to 20 ohms suddenly and briefly at certain frequencies there needs to be enough in the tank to supply well over 2W in power.

Clipping and distortion occur when the power supply simply can't provide this and the power supply in the 931 is one of the areas where significant work has been done.

Thanks for the reply 931 seems to have very limited client base and almost no reviews from normal review sites. No one in australia sell it.

What other gear have u audition hek with?. Any thoughts on chord hugo pairing?

Thanks

Mar 9, 2017 at 1:02 AM Post #2,914 of 3,817
So schiit with different tubes better than moon 430?. Can u please provide some additional details?

I do not have schiit or moon audio gear but have violectric v281 but have heard moon 430 as a good amp. Do u like tube colouration better with hek?

Don't twist what I wrote to fit some perverse wish to subvert the Universe :D

Think you need to realise that there are at least two Moons. Simaudio make Moon designated gear, Moon Nēo 430HAD is theirs. Moon Audio make amps, cables etc. so far as I know. Separate companies.

My Moon Nēo 430HAD is out on demo duty currently, the dealer let me .... his wife in payment, so I connected up my old Schiit Lyr to maintain a headphone listening system. I had the Lyr for HE-500s and had not tried the HE-1000v2s on it before. Blown away... I had thought of selling it, as I am not made of money, but a doubt has set in.
:cool:

Mar 9, 2017 at 1:17 AM Post #2,915 of 3,817
Thanks for the reply 931 seems to have very limited client base and almost no reviews from normal review sites. No one in australia sell it.

What other gear have u audition hek with?. Any thoughts on chord hugo pairing?

Thanks

Personally i don't like the Hugo and being only fashioned when it comes to audio like an amp with a dirty great power supply.

Yes the 931 is a rarer beast but very popular here in the UK. I was waiting a couple of weeks for mine.

Check out reviews for the 933 also. Topology is very similar but the 933 has an outboard, fully choke regulated power supply. Sounds very similar just more so (and a lot more expensive!).

I briefly tried the Bryston BHA1 with them as well and very nearly bought that instead.

Worth noting at the time I was auditioning amps for my Utopia but took the opportunity to listen to the HEK and fell in love with them - particularly when driven by the 931.

Mar 9, 2017 at 1:18 AM Post #2,917 of 3,817
I tried the 200 last year and it was good, but had a very narrow soundstage. Returned it, but might try the new balanced model 280. Hopefully this one is better.

I haven't tried the V200 because I needed the balanced output. It sounds terrific with my HE-1000 V2. I don't have complaints about a narrow soundstage. You should give it a try.

Mar 9, 2017 at 4:59 AM Post #2,918 of 3,817
I believe you can. If you can't find a US distributor try highendheadphones.co.uk-I drove 400 odd miles round trip to demo the amp at their store, excellent shop.

Interesting topolgy-very simple. Fully discrete (no op amps) single ended class A solid state.

The designer also owns Isol-8 so knows a thing or two about clean power.

Bags of power and see mingle limitless reserves. Have a read if you're interested.

http://www.trilogyaudio.com/931.html

I think Wendy at High-end Headphones has me sold on one! I demo'd with the Elear, it's a lovely little thing. I might sell my couple of amps and run the same; HE-1k & the Trilogy.

Mar 9, 2017 at 7:39 AM Post #2,919 of 3,817
  Anyone know hows the pairing with Schiit MJ2 amp?

Ummm, that is the amp I just sold :frowning2: 
It was ok when I had my he560, but the higher resolution HE1000 brought out the flaws. I tried several different tubes, even a $300 pair of NOS Amprex 7308 from Upscale, but still found it was too bright with a thinner, harder midrange and lots of sibilance. OTOH, the Gungnir Multibit DAC was quite good, (I compared it to my PS Audio Direct Stream on the speaker system) but the guy who bought the amp really wanted that too, so off it went. 

At the moment I'm getting by listening with my Chord Mojo which sounds nice as long as it's not too demanding music, which is making me think I'd like a Chord 2Qute if I go with separate components instead of an all in one solution. 

TTVJ is going to me sending a Meridian Prime with the power supply for me to try. Anyone heard that one? 

Mar 9, 2017 at 7:46 AM Post #2,920 of 3,817
I think Wendy at High-end Headphones has me sold on one! I demo'd with the Elear, it's a lovely little thing. I might sell my couple of amps and run the same; HE-1k & the Trilogy.

It's Paul's fault I've got one. I went mainly to audition the CMA600i and he had set me up that, the BHA1, the 931 and 933.

Didn't like the CMA600i at all and initially went for the BHA1. Went to tell Wendy and asked if i could just try the Elear (I had heard them before but wanted to a/b with the Utopia), the Sennie 800 (just to see if i liked them and could save money not spent on the Utopia) and the HEK.

Immediately fell in love with the HEK and decided to give the 931 one last go and decided that was the one.

Really very good amp. Beautifully simple, well made and sounds superb.

Mar 9, 2017 at 8:39 AM Post #2,921 of 3,817

Ummm, that is the amp I just sold :frowning2: 
It was ok when I had my he560, but the higher resolution HE1000 brought out the flaws. I tried several different tubes, even a $300 pair of NOS Amprex 7308 from Upscale, but still found it was too bright with a thinner, harder midrange and lots of sibilance. OTOH, the Gungnir Multibit DAC was quite good, (I compared it to my PS Audio Direct Stream on the speaker system) but the guy who bought the amp really wanted that too, so off it went. 

At the moment I'm getting by listening with my Chord Mojo which sounds nice as long as it's not too demanding music, which is making me think I'd like a Chord 2Qute if I go with separate components instead of an all in one solution. 

TTVJ is going to me sending a Meridian Prime with the power supply for me to try. Anyone heard that one? 

I've noticed exactly the same with my Lyr 2, absolute magic with my HE-560, really not a good pairing with the HE-1000, very soft and soupy. The Cavalli Liquid Carbon sounds decent enough, but I think it's time to get shot of the pair of them and get a decent amp for the HE-1000.

Mar 9, 2017 at 9:07 AM Post #2,922 of 3,817
I'll report back when I get back my upgraded MicroZOTL2 (done be Ben at Mojo Audio), driven by a way over the top Mojo Illuminati LPS. I have high expectations, as I really love the HEK v1 with the stock ZOTL/LPS.itching to get it back. (also waiting on a HEK v2)

Mar 9, 2017 at 2:26 PM Post #2,925 of 3,817
Anyone tried the cma800i ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back