Official HIFIMAN HE1000 Impressions Thread
Feb 16, 2016 at 9:44 PM Post #2,176 of 3,817

To be honest, I was one of the beta testers for the HE1000 - so I got it at a lower price than normal. At what I got it for, I did feel the HE1000 was worth it considering what else is on the market. However, at $3000, I would have to think more carefully about whether it was worth that much over the 400i - though I wouldn't classify the HE1000 as a total ripoff.

Is it possible to know the discount?

Feb 16, 2016 at 9:46 PM Post #2,177 of 3,817

We were told not to disclose it. Doesn't matter much at this point though, the beta is well over and done with.

Feb 17, 2016 at 7:30 AM Post #2,179 of 3,817
Maybe you didn't have the QP1R on high gain?
Seriously man it drives the HEK very well at 2/3 max volume.

Yes, I tried it at high gain, and compared with hm650 w discrete card, the output power difference is very obvious.

These values are from Questyle website:

QP1r Headphone AMP Output Power

Gain = High
Max Output Amplitude: Vout=1.9V rms
Output Power: Pout=40mW @32Ω
Pout=12mW @300Ω
Gain=Middle
Max Output Amplitude : Vout=1V rms
Output Power: Pout=31mW @32Ω
Pout=3.5mW @300Ω
Gain=Low
Max Output Amplitude :
Vout=0.53V rms @32Ω
Vout=0.51V rms @16Ω
Output Power: Pout=8.8mW @32Ω
Pout=16.3mW @16Ω

The discrete amp card has more than 200mW per channel output (no load info, but I guess it's either 16ohm or 32ohm).

Feb 17, 2016 at 1:19 PM Post #2,180 of 3,817
I was just wondering at what price you feel the headphone is in fact worth the purchase.

I think they're the best headphone I've ever heard. I have not auditioned the new HD800s, and I would need more time with the Abyss to be fair, but I did prefer the HEK over the Stax and all the Audeze, which is saying a lot (they are all excellent cans). My opinion, of course.

Is that worth $3000? Up to you. I have seen this headphone selling for $2500 at certain retailers on sale, so check around. I would hold out for a sale, but that's me-- I don't pay retail and I will buy used gear.

Feb 17, 2016 at 4:16 PM Post #2,181 of 3,817

I was just wondering at what price you feel the headphone is in fact worth the purchase.

Yeah, like @goldendarko said Hifiman told us not to disclose how much the beta-testers could get it for.

But as for what price I would think the headphone is worth the purchase, I'll use a comparison. The Audeze LCD-3 normally costs $1945 on its official website. I would be willing to pay something like $600 for the HE1000 over the LCD-3, because I do like the HE1000 that much better (better FR to my ears, better soundstage, better comfort, etc.). I wouldn't be as sure about paying over $1000 higher than the LCD-3 though.

Feb 17, 2016 at 4:24 PM Post #2,182 of 3,817
Hey guys, sorry if this question has been asked before. I've owned the HE-400i for over a year (grill cloth removal mod) and absolutely love it, especially with my first desktop amp (Audeze Deckard) and Schiit Bifrost Multibit. Both the amp and DAC brought detail and musicality to those headphones I didn't know existed.

I honestly never thought I'd own the HE-1000 anytime soon but I recently came into some unexpected money, so I thought I might "end" my search for an endgame system much sooner than later.

My question is, could anyone who's heard the 400i and the HE-1000 tell me just how much of an upgrade the HE-1000 is? Could you put both on a ten-point system? Would the leap from 400i to HE-1000 be a leap from a 4 to a 10, or smaller, from a 7 or 8 to a 10?

Thanks so much for help!
From a 5.7 to an 8.1

Are you in the UK?

Feb 17, 2016 at 4:58 PM Post #2,184 of 3,817

Yeah, like @goldendarko said Hifiman told us not to disclose how much the beta-testers could get it for.

But as for what price I would think the headphone is worth the purchase, I'll use a comparison. The Audeze LCD-3 normally costs $1945 on its official website. I would be willing to pay something like $600 for the HE1000 over the LCD-3, because I do like the HE1000 that much better (better FR to my ears, better soundstage, better comfort, etc.). I wouldn't be as sure about paying over $1000 higher than the LCD-3 though.

I agree about $500 more than LCD3f.

Feb 17, 2016 at 6:43 PM Post #2,185 of 3,817
Which, of course, begs the question, is the LCD3f a good value at $1945? Is that a good reference for pricing/valuing the HEK? Just lookin' to make trouble...:D

Feb 17, 2016 at 9:08 PM Post #2,186 of 3,817
I was
Nah, US. Can't tell if you're being cheeky or not. You're saying the HE-1000 is a 8.1 compared to your "dream" 10 headphone?
I was going to suggest somewhere in the UK for you listen to both of them at the same time.

Cheeky? I think we may have a different meaning for that over here.

Yes 8.1 compared to my dream signature, but more importantly 8.1 compared to the 5.7 of the he400. Personally I think it's a big leap up. Either way the he1000 is very special, but has genre limitations imo.

Feb 17, 2016 at 11:06 PM Post #2,187 of 3,817
Which, of course, begs the question, is the LCD3f a good value at $1945? Is that a good reference for pricing/valuing the HEK? Just lookin' to make trouble...
biggrin.gif

The analysis was between market comparables at retail prices holding the LCD3F price steady.  But from the consumer side we would have to also have to consider everyone's particular discretionary audiophile funds.  And I also have to take in consideration the cost to produce headphone and whether the market could sustain the purchase price.  Now for a particular headphone like the LCD3f and what it offers I would take off another $500 from its retail price which would bring the HEK to a price of $2000. However, I'm unsure what standard I'm using in terms of consumer discretionary funds reserved for things like audiophile hobbies- I would therefore be generalizing. Since these headphones seem to be successfully selling they seem to be priced well enough to the consumer.  But the question becomes is it really worth it? And that's where a particular consumer's discretionary funds come into play.  Now you could be able to afford an HEK and purchase it and then ask was it worth it?  And most consumers might agree they were not worth the full retail price even though the market can sustain that price after all we did purchase the headphones. So basically, the question is sort of like "hey, was it really worth it?"  And of course encapsulated in that question to a certain degree is a measurement of buyer's remorse. At the moment, I would say the HD800 which can be purchased new for about $1000 most might agree is a good deal.

Feb 17, 2016 at 11:42 PM Post #2,188 of 3,817
Boy, when I started this headphone stuff a few years ago, I would have cracked up if you presented $1k headphones as a "bargain" :)

Feb 18, 2016 at 12:17 AM Post #2,190 of 3,817
Boy, when I started this headphone stuff a few years ago, I would have cracked up if you presented $1k headphones as a "bargain" :)

Within the context of high end audio I would consider it the best present deal available at the moment yes.  But years ago- I agree, I did not myself imagined going beyond an hd650. :rolleyes:

Sure, it's still a :"bargain" when you compare headphones to $30K "reasonably priced" preamps, but...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back