Odd that listeners hear more bass from HD 650 than K701
Jan 17, 2007 at 12:45 AM Post #46 of 119
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hi-Finthen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Akg-701 is a well balanced headphone that does not reverberate with bass.

The Senn HD-650 is overly warm to dark in their mid level frequency response with bass heavy promenance to their presentation of music. They veil the musics transpearency to the listener with a room full of bass like some like it.

Nothing wrong with that, in fact that a headphone can reproduce that club feeling with its bass output is what headphones should do for contempory listeners, because that is important to certain forms of what's called music that is being reproduced.

Of course these folks can see no use for a phone like the k-501... That is due to their referance... And that is why and how the 650 was designed for the marketplace which is full of home theatre subwoofers and auto subwoofers. Its a wonderful thing
rolleyes.gif

Those words may be a little harsh for the HD650
580smile.gif

But I can agree to some degree. I was reading a thread at the Steve Hoffman forums, about the slow death of 2 channel audio...and more hifi stores leaning mostly towards home theater. Certainly in those cases more systems are tipped towards producing very powerful bass, which might explain Sennheisers approach in moving from the HD600 sound to the HD650.

Jan 17, 2007 at 12:48 AM Post #47 of 119
Quote:

The Akg-701 is a well balanced headphone that does not reverberate with bass.

The Senn HD-650 is overly warm to dark in their mid level frequency response with bass heavy promenance to their presentation of music. They veil the musics transpearency to the listener with a room full of bass like some like it.

Nothing wrong with that, in fact that a headphone can reproduce that club feeling with its bass output is what headphones should do for contempory listeners, because that is important to certain forms of what's called music that is being reproduced.

Of course these folks can see no use for a phone like the k-501... That is due to their referance... And that is why and how the 650 was designed for the marketplace which is full of home theatre subwoofers and auto subwoofers. Its a wonderful thing
rolleyes.gif

humm.....no, this is where I'm going to disagree with you Hi-Finthen. Beyer DT770s are more for the club atmosphere. My main music tastes are classical music, electronica, jazz, and alternative/punk. Now if you want to dis the 650 for being too bassy when you had it on your warm system, go ahead. But don't generalize it into saying it competes with tricked out 5.1 subwoofed systems (because you'll disappoint the speaker bassheads
wink.gif
).

My dad is a pianist and is really into classical music. He recently listened to my HD650s. I put on a recording of Gershwin and let him hear the headphones. You know what his exact words were (being a concert goer, but not a headphone person)? His first words, I kid you not " Yep, it's still really hard for headphones to get believable bass". So maybe it's your reference, being conditioned to headphones, to feel that the k501 has adequate bass for its soundstage
wink.gif
rolleyes.gif
biggrin.gif
All I know is that the k501 sounds hollow compared to a real concert hall.

Jan 17, 2007 at 12:51 AM Post #48 of 119
Quote:

My dad is a pianist and is really into classical music. He recently listened to my HD650s. I put on a recording of Gershwin and let him hear the headphones. You know what his exact words were (being a concert goer, but not a headphone person)? His first words, I kid you not " Yep, it's still really hard for headphones to get believable bass".

Perhaps thats because it had too much bass and wasnt tight enough?
biggrin.gif

Jan 17, 2007 at 12:56 AM Post #49 of 119
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaZa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Perhaps thats because it had too much bass and wasnt tight enough?
biggrin.gif

No, he later said it wasn't enough bass......I mean common sense seems to dictate that a concert hall has accoustics to carry bass. Bass is what travels further and has more reflections. It also helps enhance the timbre of woodwinds and strings IMO. Why I like Senns for classical guitar and Grado for electric/synthesized guitar.

*edit* I also know my Senns are pretty tight now because I have a decent transport, the DAC-1, and a SP amp....FTW
biggrin.gif
Not a Mapletree or Headfive like a nameless k701 fanboy
tongue.gif
biggrin.gif

Jan 17, 2007 at 1:03 AM Post #50 of 119
hey Dave, have YOU listened to the 701s?

Jan 17, 2007 at 1:05 AM Post #51 of 119
Quote:

hey Dave, have YOU listened to the 701s?

As I've listed in this thread, I have not. So all my comparisons have been the k501....which I have in my posession and can compare with my Senns.

Jan 17, 2007 at 1:07 AM Post #52 of 119
hey Dave, have you listened to a Mapletree?

Jan 17, 2007 at 1:12 AM Post #53 of 119
hey Dave, did Earl tell you what you will hear with the 701s, and 595s and the Single****** lol

And you now have tight bass with the known to be bright DAC and a $$$ CDP as transport and a $250 cable, right. How about before these needed upgrades to a $299 phone?...lol

Jan 17, 2007 at 1:13 AM Post #54 of 119
Quote:

hey Dave, have you listened to a Mapletree?

Hey Hi-Finthen, have you listened to the k501 or HD650 on an SP amp? No? So how about dropping this
rolleyes.gif
I've given you the benifit of the doubt on occasions where you've said a Grado or AKG is more reference then a Sennheiser on a given system......so I'd expect the same courtesy from you. Or I'm likely to respond to your retorts of a Sennheiser needing an expensive clean amp with an AKG needing an expensive warm amp. I'm going to find a way to get a notification the next time you post Sennheiser and "warm soundstage" and SP amp
very_evil_smiley.gif
tongue.gif

Jan 17, 2007 at 1:22 AM Post #55 of 119
Quote:

Originally Posted by Davesrose /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey Hi-Finthen, have you listened to the k501 or HD650 on an SP amp? No? So how about dropping this
rolleyes.gif
I've given you the benifit of the doubt on occasions where you've said a Grado or AKG is more reference then a Sennheiser on a given system......so I'd expect the same courtesy from you. Or I'm likely to respond to your retorts of a Sennheiser needing an expensive clean amp with an AKG needing an expensive warm amp. I'm going to find a way to get a notification the next time you post Sennheiser and "warm soundstage" and SP amp
very_evil_smiley.gif
tongue.gif

I enjoy your singleminded defensiveness of what you have called these 650s as being well balanced, in what you have termed your neutral system. Thats all... Both ends of your system are unbalanced cancelling out each others faults and it is misleading to keep repeating the HD-650 is well balanced with no veil and not bass heavy because of what you hear. THAT's the point...lol

Jan 17, 2007 at 1:24 AM Post #56 of 119
Quote:

hey Dave, did Earl tell you what you will hear with the 701s, and 595s and the Single****** lol

And you now have tight bass with the known to be bright DAC and a $$$ CDP as transport and a $250 cable, right. How about before these needed upgrades to a $299 phone?...lol

Man Hi-Finthen, check out the forums and you'll see that many people praise the Single Power amps for Sennheisers and Grados. You think such a system would be bright to do well with a Grado????? Can I help it if I do my homework??? I didn't just talk with Earl, but talked with others and read reviews. Not very many reviews say the Dac-1 is bright.....most say it's spot on accurate. I found it raised the resolution in both treble and bass. But for your k701 tastes, I'm sure you'd need something bass heavy
wink.gif
tongue.gif

Now this is all I'm going to say.....you've riled me enough to flame. I'm not going to respond to another immature wisecrack you say.

Jan 17, 2007 at 1:28 AM Post #57 of 119
Quote:

and it is misleading to keep repeating the HD-650 is well balanced with no veil and not bass heavy because of what you hear

What is misleading is that people had me convinced that the HD650 was veiled and bass-heavy. Boy was I surprised when I received mine!

Jan 17, 2007 at 1:29 AM Post #58 of 119
Thank you Dave ;-}

Jan 17, 2007 at 1:32 AM Post #59 of 119
Quote:

Originally Posted by Balisarda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Some posters report the K701 delivers deeper bass than the HD 650, but to my knowledge no poster has ever claimed the K701 produces bass as loud as the HD 650. What's going on?

Although Headroom's graphs may not be perfect, I would be willing to wager it's just that everyone who claims the HD650s have more bass are full of it.

Jan 17, 2007 at 3:10 AM Post #60 of 119
The headroom graphs are accurate. K701 is perceived to have less bass because it has a peak in the upper mids (~2.5 kHz). Human hearing is very sensitive to this region so people tend to listen to K701 at low volume. HD650 doesn't have this peak so people can and want to turn it up, thus more bass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back