Ocharaku Flat-4 KAEDE (Maple)
Jul 18, 2013 at 8:26 PM Post #856 of 1,190
I agree, that idsynchrono character is as generous as he is handsome. And why is that? It's cause he owns Ocharaku phones. Any Ocha owner in this thread can tell you just what these phones do for one's own virility. It's like tiger penis soup without the illegality and disgusting guilt!

Jul 18, 2013 at 8:28 PM Post #857 of 1,190
lol someone sounds desperate to sell their Suis? So you like your Kuro better? I actually like my Sui better than the Kaede.

Jul 18, 2013 at 8:40 PM Post #858 of 1,190
They say that once you go black, you don't go back :wink:

But no, kidding aside, you're right. The SUI is the most refined out of the entire Ocha line up. Wood is too porous so the Kaede is susceptible to errant frequencies dominating the presentation, while the KURO is obviously targeting a different audience with its mass production and "cool" paint scheme. That just leaves the SUI, which is obviously an artisanal labor of love. Did you know that the metal in its phase correction tube has gotta be folded over 500 times to achieve its proper rigidity and that only the descendants of Hattori Hanzo are employeed at Yamagishi-san's tea shop? That's true craftsmanship if I ever heard it.

Jul 18, 2013 at 11:29 PM Post #859 of 1,190
Quote:

The incoherence is the one aspect that will always make me recommend those IEMs — simply put: it can't get much worse than that.

Glad to hear you enjoyed those tracks. Yes, the KAEDEs are a very special phone and already a very dear one to me; 14 consecutive days of sheer audio joy with quite a few moments of sonic amazement at what these little portable things are capable of—often finding it hard to take them off my ears—is a testament to that.

What incoherency mean in an IEM? 

Jul 18, 2013 at 11:35 PM Post #860 of 1,190
Perhaps "cohesion" is a better term, meaning that the the drivers don't seem to match up well, and so certain frequencies seem to be out of whack. In the 3003's case, some people took issue with its "slow" bass

Jul 19, 2013 at 12:31 AM Post #861 of 1,190
Quote:
They say that once you go black, you don't go back
wink.gif

But no, kidding aside, you're right. The SUI is the most refined out of the entire Ocha line up. Wood is too porous so the Kaede is susceptible to errant frequencies dominating the presentation, while the KURO is obviously targeting a different audience with its mass production and "cool" paint scheme. That just leaves the SUI, which is obviously an artisanal labor of love. Did you know that the metal in its phase correction tube has gotta be folded over 500 times to achieve its proper rigidity and that only the descendants of Hattori Hanzo are employeed at Yamagishi-san's tea shop? That's true craftsmanship if I ever heard it.

lol. I like the Sui better because it's easier on the ears overall and noticeably more forgiving on tracks (on short listening sessions I'd get fatigued from the Kaede, not so on the Sui). The Kaede does have the better mid range IMO and more emphasis on treble. The Kaede is more forward in its presentation. The Sui to me appears to have a more expansive sound to it with a slight U shape. The Kaede doesn't appear to have a U-shape at all to me. The Sui has more bass quantity and it seems to reach deeper. The Kaede had leaner bass. What made the Kaede most special to me was that woody sound. The timbre was exceptional reminding me of the FX700 yet better personally.

Jul 19, 2013 at 11:17 AM Post #862 of 1,190
[size=10pt]Thanks for the info. I could "swallow" $350. I also understand they are a "niche product" and will most probably end up as a "good investment/collector item". Whether it´s a right or wrong hobby for me to get into (ask the wife) is a fair question. Sadly, one has to try to remain within budget considerations.[/size]

Jul 19, 2013 at 6:32 PM Post #863 of 1,190
I have to thank once again Mr Uncool for bringing the band Magazine to my attention. This is my favourite track of theirs, and the KAEDEs do a stellar job on this one — basically everything sounds very right (of particular note is the rendering of the bass, which sounds crystal clear, tight and nuanced, utterly convincing): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e4bPv-Wbch4 (unfortunately not available on Grooveshark but the youtube link's not that bad)

Jul 19, 2013 at 10:27 PM Post #866 of 1,190
Now that I am back home in Shanghai, I have gone back to trying the large Comply TS foamies with the KAEDE. I like them.

The Complys obviously do not have the pop in and out convenience of silicon tips but I don't use the KAEDE as a run around convenience IEM anyway. The Heaven VI currently fill that role and isolate better. (Actually I am also now using Complys with the Heaven VI but the deep insertion makes that quite fast and convenient.) The KAEDE is used primarily for sit down sessions over a cigar outside or for listening around home. Transportable paradise, I say!

I do think that the Comply TS tips eke out that last milligram of SQ from the KAEDE and otherwise provide the most solid fit given the shallow insertion.

Jul 20, 2013 at 5:26 PM Post #868 of 1,190
Also from their website, there will be another production batch of Flat4-Kaede coming out in September.
http://ocharaku.jp/sound/topics/3048/

From their webpage:

Flat4-楓の在庫が切れましたのでお知らせ致します。
極少量ですが、音茶楽店舗分として9月初旬に最終生産を予定しております。

Translation:
I now inform that our current stock of Flat4-Kaede has run out.
There will be a final batch of extremely low quantity in production, scheduled for early September.

Jul 20, 2013 at 6:42 PM Post #869 of 1,190
Quote:
Old sparrow is famous now, Ocharaku just put him on their website.

Let's not forget our notorious grumpy sparrow dude has been rather cheerful recently because, among other things, he's been getting a generous commission from the sale of every single pair of Flat4s (be that SUI, KURO or KAEDE).

Jul 20, 2013 at 6:59 PM Post #870 of 1,190
And to carry on with my relentless activity as an Ocharaku / Flat4 shill, here's yet another track where the KAEDEs perform brilliantly — layering, timbre and low-end extension stand out here: http://grooveshark.com/#!/s/Best+Friend+Paranoia/54wQxK?src=5

Users who are viewing this thread

Back