objective desktop amp + odac questions n questions
Dec 27, 2012 at 11:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

MrViolin

Headphoneus Supremus
He guys, I've been following around n looking for a good budget amp/dac combo. The Schiit MM stack seemed great for the money, but had a gain of 5x (phones are 106 and 108dB). Because of that, I've been searching for another alternative, and the objective combo seems to be it.

At the moment, I'm really confused. Has the ODAC been released? JDS Labs has an ODAC, but NwAvGuy said that the ODAC is not supposed to have any outputs. Could the current JDS be the older/portable version? 

As for the release of the ODA, I'm guessing it will be sometime next year. Oh, does a 1/4 jack adapter put any stress on the 1/8 jack adapter? I've also heard you're supposed to power down/turn off devices before connecting cables, however there seems to be the issue of blow outs. 

An answer would be appreciated!

Dec 28, 2012 at 1:37 AM Post #2 of 8
Quote:
He guys, I've been following around n looking for a good budget amp/dac combo. The Schiit MM stack seemed great for the money, but had a gain of 5x (phones are 106 and 108dB). Because of that, I've been searching for another alternative, and the objective combo seems to be it.

At the moment, I'm really confused. Has the ODAC been released? JDS Labs has an ODAC, but NwAvGuy said that the ODAC is not supposed to have any outputs. Could the current JDS be the older/portable version? 

As for the release of the ODA, I'm guessing it will be sometime next year. Oh, does a 1/4 jack adapter put any stress on the 1/8 jack adapter? I've also heard you're supposed to power down/turn off devices before connecting cables, however there seems to be the issue of blow outs. 

An answer would be appreciated!

ODAC:
  • The ODAC was released in the summer, I think.
  • The ODAC is available as a circuit board with the circuits attached and of course you need an output. The rule is Bring Your Own Output to one of those.
  • JDS Labs and others(!) sell a "Standalone ODAC". It has a case and that output you need. The rule is No Assembly Required.
  • If you buy an ODAC (from whoever, called whatever) you're getting the same board and circuits. Anything else is up to the assembler.
  • It's the O2 amp that's portable. Without a mod, the ODAC gets its power from USB.

Stress:
  • The adapter will put some stress on the jack.
  • The jack has a useful life measured in the number of times you can unplug and replug something into it.

Which is worse? Will be be careful with the extender? Will you plug in often? (I used a 3.5mm to 6.3mm adapter with my O2.)

Dec 28, 2012 at 1:49 AM Post #3 of 8
Quote:

ODAC:
  • The ODAC was released in the summer, I think.
  • The ODAC is available as a circuit board with the circuits attached and of course you need an output. The rule is Bring Your Own Output to one of those.
  • JDS Labs and others(!) sell a "Standalone ODAC". It has a case and that output you need. The rule is No Assembly Required.
  • If you buy an ODAC (from whoever, called whatever) you're getting the same board and circuits. Anything else is up to the assembler.
  • It's the O2 amp that's portable. Without a mod, the ODAC gets its power from USB.

Stress:
  • The adapter will put some stress on the jack.
  • The jack has a useful life measured in the number of times you can unplug and replug something into it.

Which is worse? Will be be careful with the extender? Will you plug in often? (I used a 3.5mm to 6.3mm adapter with my O2.)

Yeah, I end up plugging in things often (at least for now until the ODA comes out). 

So the jack is the one that has a certain amount of times you can put something into it and not the headphone's jack (the one that goes into the jack) itself?  I'll be using a direct 1/8->1/4 screw on. I'll be careful with the extender/jack.

Thanks Barca!

Dec 28, 2012 at 11:22 AM Post #4 of 8
Apologies if this is obvious, but JDS Labs also sells a combo unit with ODAC and O2 in a single case.

I assembled a O2 six months ago and retrofitted the JDS Labs-sold ODAC assembled board a few days ago. Sounds great!

And my routines for plugging and unplugging are as follows (nothing scientific, based on suggestions collected over the years, and there are times I forget):
  1. Power off before swapping inputs (RCA, mini, USB, optical)
  2. Turn volume down before swapping headphones
  3. Side note: I typically leave my gear powered on all the time. With the O2 (before ODAC), I felt it might reduce rechargeability of the batteries, so I would turn it off sometimes. With the batteries removed now, I suspect I will just keep it on all the time.

Again, your mileage may vary. But this has served me well with numerous DACs and AMPs with no failures (knocks on wood).

Dec 28, 2012 at 11:43 AM Post #5 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrViolin /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Yeah, I end up plugging in things often (at least for now until the ODA comes out). 

So the jack is the one that has a certain amount of times you can put something into it and not the headphone's jack (the one that goes into the jack) itself?  I'll be using a direct 1/8->1/4 screw on. I'll be careful with the extender/jack.

Thanks Barca!

I should have said there's always stress on the headphone jack when something's in it. The longer the lever arm -- that chain of plugs and adapters sticking out of it -- the easier it is to put more stress on the jack. As long as the stress is small, it's okay.

Any jack (O2, ODAC, or elsewhere) has some useful life. I think the O2's output jack was rated at ~1,000 insertions. Just to be paranoid I use an adapter on the O2, and connect and disconnect the phones from the adapter. I'm probably gaining nothing. Even if the jack failed, it could be replaced.

But really it's easy. Don't put too much stress on anything you plug into anything else. Don't plug in your headphones over and over and over and over. Buy the right adapter for your ODAC-to-O2 connection.

Dec 28, 2012 at 4:32 PM Post #6 of 8
ohhh... I never thought there was a limit on the amt of insertions... thanks Barca! 

Thanks mchang! As for the O2+odac together, I'm waiting for the ODA (unless that IS the current O2... then I'd feel pretty stupid, although I heard the ODA is going to have a 1/4 inch jack).  

Dec 28, 2012 at 5:20 PM Post #7 of 8
Quote:
ohhh... I never thought there was a limit on the amt of insertions... thanks Barca! 

Thanks mchang! As for the O2+odac together, I'm waiting for the ODA (unless that IS the current O2... then I'd feel pretty stupid, although I heard the ODA is going to have a 1/4 inch jack).  

Eventually, the jack must wear out. Whether that happens in your lifetime is another issue.

It's what I wanted, but I wouldn't wait for an ODA. The designer hasn't updated his blog since May 9.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back