Nuforce Icon Mobile: Early impressions
Feb 20, 2009 at 3:49 PM Post #62 of 130
Quote:

Originally Posted by ledzepberkeley /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for all the feedback everyone, this site is so helpful
smily_headphones1.gif
I was choosing between the iBasso D2 Boa and the Nuforce Icon Mobile, I think I'm going to order the Nuforce tomorrow! I'm excited to see how they will match my DT 770!

Did you ever get the Nuforce? I have the DT770s as well and also contemplating between the Nuforce and the D2.

Feb 20, 2009 at 8:59 PM Post #63 of 130
Quote:

Originally Posted by krusty20874 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Did you ever get the Nuforce? I have the DT770s as well and also contemplating between the Nuforce and the D2.

I was also wondering and looking forward to your impressions

Feb 26, 2009 at 10:18 PM Post #65 of 130
Quote:

Originally Posted by kazsud /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What does the -/+ switch do?

It's the gain switch. - is low gain, + is high gain which you can set according to the sensitivity of your headphones.

Feb 26, 2009 at 10:43 PM Post #67 of 130
Quote:

Originally Posted by dimisam /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am planning on buying a Denon D2000 together with a Nuforce icon mobile amp to power it (looking for a reasonably priced amp because my wallet is gasping for breath). Do you think this amp will be suitable for the D2000?

The D2000's are low impedance phones that my laptop headphone out and iPod Touch G1 could drive them to good enough volumes for my ears. Headphoneaddict has a great review of the Nuforce Icon Mobile here and found them to work pretty well with each other. I used that combination myself as a Dac/Amp for a while through my laptop and its a step up from my integrated laptop sound for sure. The D2000's have smooth and laid back mids that may seem a bit recessed at times and the Nuforce has a slightly forward sound that helps bring them out.

Quote:

Is there a way to turn the dac on and off?

There is no on/off switch but it automatically turns off by unplugging the headphones from either of the headphone jacks it has.

Feb 26, 2009 at 11:05 PM Post #68 of 130
Quote:

Is there a way to turn the dac on and off?

Just unplug from the usb. Your DAC will be off and you can just use it as an amp.

Feb 27, 2009 at 12:02 AM Post #69 of 130
Ok so the DAC part only works while plugged in a usb port?

Sorry i am a newb
Trying to track one down as we speak and willing to drive to nyc (from philly) to get one

Feb 27, 2009 at 7:26 AM Post #70 of 130
Quote:

Ok so the DAC part only works while plugged in a usb port?

Sorry i am a newb
Trying to track one down as we speak and willing to drive to nyc (from philly) to get one

Yes...and it stays on whenever your phones are plugged in.

I believe you won't find this being sold in brick and mortar stores. You can order it online from Amazon.

Amazon.com: Used and New: NuForce Icon Mobile headphone amplifier and USB DAC (black color)

Feb 27, 2009 at 1:37 PM Post #71 of 130
jwbrent;5185761 said:
I have over 250 hours of play time on the Icon Mobile now with maybe 50 of those hours on the DAC section. Since I use the IM as a headphone amp only, I only wanted to get some time on the DAC so I would have an idea whether it sounds better than straight out of my iBook. It does.

How do you use it as a amp only?

Feb 27, 2009 at 3:20 PM Post #72 of 130
Quote:

Originally Posted by SpudHarris /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The set up looks sweet. I love the case what is it and where can I get one?

It'd be great to hear back from you.....

hate bringing up an old issue, but I echo the same thing. Great case. Where did you get it?

Feb 28, 2009 at 5:40 PM Post #74 of 130
kazsud;5467431 said:
Quote:

Originally Posted by jwbrent /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have over 250 hours of play time on the Icon Mobile now with maybe 50 of those hours on the DAC section. Since I use the IM as a headphone amp only, I only wanted to get some time on the DAC so I would have an idea whether it sounds better than straight out of my iBook. It does.

How do you use it as a amp only?

Okay, this is the way it works...

When nothing is connected to either of the headphone outs or the USB, it is off. This is the only state in which it is totally off. There is no power switch; as stated, the recessed +/- switch is for adjusting base gain to match the sensitivity of your headphones.

When connected via USB, it charges. It is also in DAC mode, and shows up like a soundcard in your computer interface. Simply connect headphones to use it; the volume dial on the side is best for controlling the volume, just leave volume maxed out in the computer and your software. The line-in does not work when connected via USB, so if you wish to use a device via the line-in, you must disconnect it from USB (hence, you cannot charge while using the line-in as your source).

When not connected via USB, and something is connected to the line-in, it is still off until headphones are plugged in, at which point the amp is activated and in an on state. I generally recommend always turning the volume dial down to zero before disconnecting or connecting headphones to the amp. As long as there are headphones connected and USB is not attached, the amp will be drawing down its battery, regardless of presence of input source.

That being said, I would just like to mention that fully charged, my Icon Mobile has a big enough charge that I have yet to use the battery up in a single charge session; however, I don't know if I'm alone in this, but I find that the Icon Mobile very quickly loses its charge when not being used compared to anything else I've ever owned that has rechargeable batteries built in. In other words, say I charge it overnight tonight, I can pretty much use it the entire day straight tomorrow, but let's say I charge it tonight, and I disconnect it tomorrow morning, but then I don't use it for an entire week, then I decide to use it, but I don't recharge it first, chances are, after a week of sitting idle, the amp won't even activate when I attach headphones, such as it has completely lost its charge in about a week's time without even being touched, after a full charge!

-Ed

Users who are viewing this thread

Back