Norne Audio (Was: Norse Audio): Feedback & Impression Thread
Apr 18, 2013 at 5:28 PM Post #421 of 6,511
Quote:

Glad to hear you are enjoying it Frank. 
Quote:
Isn't that norn 3 or have I missed 8 revisions :)

It is actually just a Norn 2 fed through our larger size Rayon jacket, just was a one off build.  Norn 2 is discontinued right now (will be replaced). 

Apr 18, 2013 at 10:24 PM Post #425 of 6,511
Having never used an aftermarket cable I am patiently awaiting the new cable. I'm using the Lyr to power the lcd2. Should I wait or buy the reign 24? The prices are great and the service is unreal. What do you all suggest? Thanks!

Apr 20, 2013 at 7:14 AM Post #426 of 6,511
Just received my mini to mini Norse 2 with Oyaide jacks on both sides. The reason why I decided to go for Norse 2 (obsolete model) is not only it looks really nice with cotton jacket but also the Norse 2 is extremely flexible. It is more flexible than Toxic silver LOD that I have also. And build quality is absolutely top notch!  I love Trevor's attention to detail especially for packaging. I will definitely order more cables from Trevor in the future.

Apr 20, 2013 at 12:30 PM Post #427 of 6,511
Quote:
Just received my mini to mini Norse 2 with Oyaide jacks on both sides. The reason why I decided to go for Norse 2 (obsolete model) is not only it looks really nice with cotton jacket but also the Norse 2 is extremely flexible. It is more flexible than Toxic silver LOD that I have also. And build quality is absolutely top notch!  I love Trevor's attention to detail especially for packaging. I will definitely order more cables from Trevor in the future.

Very nice, you don't see two many shots of Trevor's interconnects on here. That looks great.

Apr 23, 2013 at 1:55 PM Post #428 of 6,511
To avoid Trevor answering questions instead of working on cables I’d like to run these past those of you with experience with Norse cables:
1.  What are the differences between Skuld series I and new series II?

2.  I understand the Norn I & II were quite flexible but how flexible are the Skuld & Reign 4- & 8-conductor cables?

3.  For the 4-conductor cables, does it seem the 2-conductor sections from the splitter to the headphone will stay twisted or eventually straighten out to two separate "wires"?

5. How "microphonic" are the bare Skuld & Reign?

6. Does the addition of the cotton or rayon jacket appreciably decrease the flexibility?

7. Does anyone have an idea how the Norn series is changing?

Trevor has been gracious with answering my questions in the past and I definitely plan on ordering one of his cables for a forthcoming LCD-3 once I recover from taxes.   Thanks for any input.

Apr 23, 2013 at 3:14 PM Post #430 of 6,511
Quote:
To avoid Trevor answering questions instead of working on cables I’d like to run these past those of you with experience with Norse cables:
1.  What are the differences between Skuld series I and new series II?

2.  I understand the Norn I & II were quite flexible but how flexible are the Skuld & Reign 4- & 8-conductor cables?

3.  For the 4-conductor cables, does it seem the 2-conductor sections from the splitter to the headphone will stay twisted or eventually straighten out to two separate "wires"?

5. How "microphonic" are the bare Skuld & Reign?

6. Does the addition of the cotton or rayon jacket appreciably decrease the flexibility?

7. Does anyone have an idea how the Norn series is changing?

Trevor has been gracious with answering my questions in the past and I definitely plan on ordering one of his cables for a forthcoming LCD-3 once I recover from taxes.   Thanks for any input.

Can speak for #2, 3, (you skipped 4), 5, 6.

Obviously this is my personal opinion, but YMMV.

The Skuld and Regin series both are decently flexible. I would say my Reign 4 is more flexible than my past Skulds. The Skuld series is still quite flexible, just not as flexible as either the Reign 4 or Norn series. The 4-Conductor braid does not become separated atleast since I have had mine. They are not super tightly knit, but tight enough so that the braid doesn't come undone. As far as mircophonics go, I would call all my experience good, not the best but good. Sometimes I do hear some mircophonics when music is not playing through my Reign 4 via HD650, but it never bothers me when music is playing. Both the Skuld and Reign series are quite good in the mircophonics department. All my cables that I have gotten thus far from Trevor have been cotton jacketed, and I have Skuld 2 on order with the Rayon so I can't speak for that yet, but the flexibility seems great. Almost like the jacket wasn't on the cable at all. I would strongly recommended the jackets just for durability sake. Also, I feel the cotton jacket is sort of a trademark of Norse Audio. I haven't seen many of Trevor's cables without it, and it just wouldn't appeal to me the same way without one. Hope that helps!

Apr 23, 2013 at 3:59 PM Post #431 of 6,511
Quote:
Can speak for #2, 3, (you skipped 4), 5, 6.

Obviously this is my personal opinion, but YMMV.

The Skuld and Regin series both are decently flexible. I would say my Reign 4 is more flexible than my past Skulds. The Skuld series is still quite flexible, just not as flexible as either the Reign 4 or Norn series. The 4-Conductor braid does not become separated atleast since I have had mine. They are not super tightly knit, but tight enough so that the braid doesn't come undone. As far as mircophonics go, I would call all my experience good, not the best but good. Sometimes I do hear some mircophonics when music is not playing through my Reign 4 via HD650, but it never bothers me when music is playing. Both the Skuld and Reign series are quite good in the mircophonics department. All my cables that I have gotten thus far from Trevor have been cotton jacketed, and I have Skuld 2 on order with the Rayon so I can't speak for that yet, but the flexibility seems great. Almost like the jacket wasn't on the cable at all. I would strongly recommended the jackets just for durability sake. Also, I feel the cotton jacket is sort of a trademark of Norse Audio. I haven't seen many of Trevor's cables without it, and it just wouldn't appeal to me the same way without one. Hope that helps!

Hey Greed, your info definitely helps.  Thank you.

My questions do center on the idea of the bare Reign 24 as shown in Cante Ista's photo below.  I agree the jackets are much better looking than bare and make the cables stand out from the crowd.  I think, however, Trevor mentioned somewhere that the connectors won't allow for jacketing an 8-conductor cable.  So, my dilemma:  I like the 8-conductor cables for a number of reasons including the fact that the cable above the splitter is braided.  BUT, even if a jacket could be put on the 8-conductor cables it seems like you'd end up with an electron hose.

I think my ideal would be a 6-conductor cable with the 3-wires-per-conductor setup (like the 8-conductor cables) instead of the 4-wires-per-conductor used in the 4-conductor cables.  It seems the bulk with the jacket might be manageable and the cables above the splitter would be a 3-conductor braid scheme eliminating the possibility of future unraveling.  Then again, I'm probably just fretting about nothing and should just order a jacketed 4-conductor cable...

Btw, a couple weeks ago you mentioned you had a Reign 24 on order.  Did you get it and did you get it bare like Cante's?

Thanks!

Apr 23, 2013 at 4:08 PM Post #432 of 6,511
Quote:

Hey Greed, your info definitely helps.  Thank you.

My questions do center on the idea of the bare Reign 24 as shown in Cante Ista's photo below.  I agree the jackets are much better looking than bare and make the cables stand out from the crowd.  I think, however, Trevor mentioned somewhere that the connectors won't allow for jacketing an 8-conductor cable.  So, my dilemma:  I like the 8-conductor cables for a number of reasons including the fact that the cable above the splitter is braided.  BUT, even if a jacket could be put on the 8-conductor cables it seems like you'd end up with an electron hose.

I think my ideal would be a 6-conductor cable with the 3-wires-per-conductor setup (like the 8-conductor cables) instead of the 4-wires-per-conductor used in the 4-conductor cables.  It seems the bulk with the jacket might be manageable and the cables above the splitter would be a 3-conductor braid scheme eliminating the possibility of future unraveling.  Then again, I'm probably just fretting about nothing and should just order a jacketed 4-conductor cable...

Btw, a couple weeks ago you mentioned you had a Reign 24 on order.  Did you get it and did you get it bare like Cante's?

Thanks!

You are correct, I do have one on order. Unfortunately, I have received it yet, but should very soon. Trevor has bee very busy lately, so his orders are delayed somewhat. It happens, and I'm not too worried about it. What I have learned about Norse Cables is that the wait is well worth it. My Reign 24 will be "bare" as well. I would like some sort of jacket around the cable, but I do agree the cable as a whole would look like a water hose rather than an audio cable. I did ask about a jacket, but it seems that the there isn't an option as of now to have a jacket for the Reign 24. I'm not too worried about it, and I'm sure it will look wonderful regardless. If you really want the top Trevor has to offer, I would highly recommend the Reign 24.

Apr 23, 2013 at 5:23 PM Post #434 of 6,511
Quote:

You are correct, I do have one on order. Unfortunately, I have received it yet, but should very soon. Trevor has bee very busy lately, so his orders are delayed somewhat. It happens, and I'm not too worried about it. What I have learned about Norse Cables is that the wait is well worth it. My Reign 24 will be "bare" as well. I would like some sort of jacket around the cable, but I do agree the cable as a whole would look like a water hose rather than an audio cable. I did ask about a jacket, but it seems that the there isn't an option as of now to have a jacket for the Reign 24. I'm not too worried about it, and I'm sure it will look wonderful regardless. If you really want the top Trevor has to offer, I would highly recommend the Reign 24.

Greed, your cable will arrive this week (tracking will be sent to your email soon), larger batch of cables going out this week as well. 

Indeed putting a textile jacket on the very large R24 would be counter productive in my mind.... You nailed it with the garden hose analogy and adding jacketing to a 8-conductor larger gauge cable. 
There are also issues like it just will not fit in the connectors housings at all (it is already a tight fit without textile jacketing), so you would have to have more heatshrink and put it over the likes of 4-pin XLR male connectors, etc.  It also takes a lot more time to make the cable as you would need to sleeve 8 separate whatever length conductors through 8 separate sleeves, no matter what you can only do this manual sleeving so quick (so cost increase).  The cable already takes a long time as is braid wise.  So really there are quite a number of reasons why it was crossed off the list as an option for this particular cable (some I have left out, but email if you would like to know them as well). 

Apr 24, 2013 at 1:51 PM Post #435 of 6,511
Woo hoo! My Skuld 4 will be arriving tonight!

L3000.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back