Norne Audio (Was: Norse Audio): Feedback & Impression Thread
Apr 12, 2013 at 12:58 PM Post #406 of 6,506
Quote:

Man7rah, I believe I found your email and sent you a reply.

More higher end plug makers are starting to realize it is a good idea to put more plug options out there for the headphone arena. 
The hope is they will eventually figure out that 4-pin XLRs are good plugs to think about releasing as well.  But certainly other
connector makers have to be taking notice of those few that have been releasing headphone related plugs lately, so hopefully this will stimulate some new options from other places in the future as well (including 4-pin XLR connectors). 

Apr 12, 2013 at 1:46 PM Post #408 of 6,506
Indeed with 3-pin XLR the sky is the limit, can get anything your heart and budget desires. 

Recently Furutech released:
more 1/4" (two types), 1/8" (one type), HD800 connectors (two types), 3-pin mini xlr, 4-pin mini-xlr,
and hd650 connectors. 

So that brings new hope, and we should eventually see some 4-pin XLR normal size options. 

Apr 13, 2013 at 12:24 AM Post #410 of 6,506
Has anyone noticed a dramatic increase in the loudness of the sound coming through the headphone after installing a Skuld cable?

With my stock balanced HiFiMan cable with 1/4" adapter, I had the low gain on my amp set at 31/88 for just the right volume for one particular CD.  That same CD with my new Skuld 2 going into the 4-pin XLR jack of this amp ended up requiring the low gain set at 17/88.  All my music I'm now listening to at that much lower setting.

Any theories as to what might account for this? 

Apr 13, 2013 at 2:19 AM Post #412 of 6,506
Has anyone noticed a dramatic increase in the loudness of the sound coming through the headphone after installing a Skuld cable?

With my stock balanced HiFiMan cable with 1/4" adapter, I had the low gain on my amp set at 31/88 for just the right volume for one particular CD.  That same CD with my new Skuld 2 going into the 4-pin XLR jack of this amp ended up requiring the low gain set at 17/88.  All my music I'm now listening to at that much lower setting.

Any theories as to what might account for this? 

I haven't found that any of my cables I've had from Trevor has affected the volume much. It is possible your original cable was defective. I have found that an aftermarket cable can give you more clarity, but it not be a huge difference, subtle but noticeable.

Apr 13, 2013 at 3:44 AM Post #413 of 6,506
That goes along with what I was thinking that it's just the result of using the XLR out on my amp instead of the 1/4" out.  The SQ itself that I'm getting is simply marvelous.  I think there's what I would describe as more air around the instruments or more depth to the soundstage if indeed I'm actually hearing anything different at all.  Perhaps even a tad more clarity.

Apr 13, 2013 at 11:37 AM Post #415 of 6,506
Yes my source is XLR.  It's a fully balanced chain from source to headphone.  I figured it couldn't be the cable.

Apr 14, 2013 at 3:59 PM Post #416 of 6,506
I like the Norn 11 for the hD800 that Trevor sent to me in Rayon . Much nicer than the cotton jacket and well designed and sounds very neutral and it is synergistic with the hd800. Highly recommend the copper cable for the hd800. job well done by Trevor and recommended.

Apr 17, 2013 at 2:19 PM Post #417 of 6,506
Norn 11? 

Apr 18, 2013 at 1:47 PM Post #419 of 6,506
Isn't that norn 3 or have I missed 8 revisions :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back