Noontec Zoro HD review
Mar 15, 2014 at 10:52 PM Post #16 of 70
IMO, if you already have UE4000, you do not need UE6000 as the difference in SQ is not all that big gap to be obvious. However, if you need better comfort and ANC, the UE6000 is worth the upgrade

Mar 16, 2014 at 12:48 AM Post #17 of 70
IMO, if you already have UE4000, you do not need UE6000 as the difference in SQ is not all that big gap to be obvious. However, if you need better comfort and ANC, the UE6000 is worth the upgrade

Agreed, I was just saying for comparison purposes, the Zoro's match up better w/ the 6000's rather than the 4000's.

Mar 16, 2014 at 1:42 PM Post #18 of 70

Agreed, I was just saying for comparison purposes, the Zoro's match up better w/ the 6000's rather than the 4000's.

It seems that Billson compared headphones in a similar price bracket.  UE4000 ($99), UE6000 ($199)
Of course, those fortunate enough to have a local OfficeMax could have picked up the UE6000 for $75+tax (Or via Internet/etc/etc/etc
biggrin.gif
)

I wonder if Brunei is anything like Jordan.  Everything is always a bit higher than the MSRP in domestic currency.
Beats studio would cost 320 JOD (MSRP is $299.99) = $452 USD.  Street price is a lot cheaper in the US too..

Mar 16, 2014 at 5:46 PM Post #19 of 70
There's no headphone shop in Brunei xD only Apple authorized dealer haha I buy my toys when I visit oversea except for my "home rig" which I bought it used in Brunei from a local online seller.

Mar 17, 2014 at 3:01 AM Post #20 of 70
  It seems that Billson compared headphones in a similar price bracket.  UE4000 ($99), UE6000 ($199)
Of course, those fortunate enough to have a local OfficeMax could have picked up the UE6000 for $75+tax (Or via Internet/etc/etc/etc
biggrin.gif
)

I wonder if Brunei is anything like Jordan.  Everything is always a bit higher than the MSRP in domestic currency.
Beats studio would cost 320 JOD (MSRP is $299.99) = $452 USD.  Street price is a lot cheaper in the US too..

My point exactly! Regardless of the retail price, the UE6000's can be had for about the same price as the Zoro's.

Mar 17, 2014 at 8:09 AM Post #21 of 70
Thank you for this review.  I have had the Zoro HDs since July but I like to have my opinion validated 
wink_face.gif

More importantly though, you really would never want to wear these outdoors.  The "fake Beats" comments really get annoying and they make you look like some silly teenage Justin Bieber wanna-be (but worse because you couldn't even afford the real thing).  I wouldn't care at all if these headphones were just plain ugly but a lot of my professional work revolves around reputation and these will lead to an embarrassing one...

Not saying, you shouldn't get them, but it makes the fold-able design and detachable cable a little less important.

Mar 20, 2014 at 8:41 AM Post #22 of 70
I have these little gems for several months now and i find them very very good portable on-ear. They are to bass-heavy (like 15 db over 1 khz!!) however if u throw at them equalized recordings and if U will make equalization with foobar 30- band equalizer (just revers characteristics you'll find in innersfidelity datasheets) u will find the unbeatable even for such classics as dt1350. Once properly equalized, closed or not, these babies provide best male vocals i've heard from a headphone, bottomless bass, and delicate high notes really hard 2 find in such a small cup.

Mar 20, 2014 at 9:24 AM Post #23 of 70
Do not quite agree with the statement that bass being so much more powerful than the midrange though @.@ while it is obviously above neutral but definitely nothing close to 15dB Vs midrange. I agree it does compares quite well with more expensive headphone but I have yet try the DT1350 xD

Found a measurement for Zoro HD by Innerfidelity http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/NoontechZoroHD.pdf

Mar 20, 2014 at 11:27 AM Post #24 of 70
I have these little gems for several months now and i find them very very good portable on-ear. They are to bass-heavy (like 15 db over 1 khz!!) however if u throw at them equalized recordings and if U will make equalization with foobar 30- band equalizer (just revers characteristics you'll find in innersfidelity datasheets) u will find the unbeatable even for such classics as dt1350. Once properly equalized, closed or not, these babies provide best male vocals i've heard from a headphone, bottomless bass, and delicate high notes really hard 2 find in such a small cup.

Sorry i disagree as well, i hope u dont mean 15db above themidrange . I think ur looking just where the knee of the hump is in the bass. It might be 15 but its elevated but not much over the mids. I think u might be misinterpreting the fr graph. The graphs on innerfidelity are indicative of that. Theses have a overall neutral sound with slightly elevated bass. But if u have to eq it, im not stopping u, just stating my observation

Mar 20, 2014 at 11:31 AM Post #25 of 70
Sorry to spam but the amount of bass is completely relative to the rest of the fr. Just cause its rated on 15 on the left doesnt mean anything. If it does then u should take a look at the vmoda m80 and then look at the vmoda m100. Then the m80s should have more bass> m100 which is not true. The m100s have more bass quantity > m80 because of that scoop in the lower to mid midrange. Giving the the bass more emphasis. U can take that example on any headphones. An extreme example would be the beats solos , check those out on the innerfidelity website

Mar 30, 2014 at 11:38 AM Post #26 of 70
These are $55 dollars on Woot right now http://tech.woot.com/offers/zoro-hd-on-ear-headphones-white-2?ref=cnt_wp_3_7

3 days left on the sale if anyone is interested.

Apr 10, 2014 at 5:32 PM Post #28 of 70
Good review. And when the Noontec Zoro HD pops up on those Woot deals, I don't think there's a better headphone for the money. Different sounding, but not better. Great price/performance value. :)

May 10, 2014 at 6:12 PM Post #30 of 70
A good, thorough review, thanks. How do you think they would stack up against AKG K451? I had been considering the latter, but came across quite a few negative reviews, whereas the Noontec hardly had any bad reviews.
I tend to be a little sceptical of Amazon reviews, because occasionally (not always) a sort of "placebo" effect, or even self delusion plays a part in a review. People WANT, or need to believe that the £50 headphones they just nought are better than Beats, which, sadly, seem to be the de facto comparator nowadays. Most of the time, they probably are better, as any decent music fan knows that Beats are mediocre, but their "street cred" does mean that when some people can't afford them, they'll automatically claim their cheaper phones are better. It's just a fact of life, and one of which I've probably been guilty of!

That's why I'd value the opinion of someone like yourself, with no particular horse in the race, just plenty of experience. I have also been looking at Audio Technica M50, but they are a bit more than I'd like to pay, and I have read they can be a little flat, with quite a narrow soundstage, largely, I assume, because they are monitors rather than audiophile grade.

So, the two I've narrowed down are the Zoro (or perhaps the Hammo), or the AKG-K451. I'd value your input greatly, and gratefully!

Many thanks!

Ollie

Users who are viewing this thread

Back