Noontec Zoro HD review
Mar 14, 2014 at 9:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 70

BillsonChang007

Headphoneus Supremus

In this review, I will be introducing what I believe to be Noontec Zoro's brother, the Zoro HD. The Zoro was a very successful headphone that get positive reviews on several big audio forum/website like the Innerfidelity and CNet. While I personally have not tried the Zoro myself before, but today, a big thank you to Noontec for sending in me their Noontec Zoro HD for this review.

To summarize the Zoro HD in short, it is a great sounding headphone for $100 and I will not hesitate recommending it to anyone looking for closed, portable headphone with detachable cable and foldable design. If the Grado SR60i/80i is among the best starter open headphone, then the Zoro HD should deserve, at least, one of the best portable headphone at $100 headphone. However, we should all keep in mind of the on ear design on all the headphones mentioned so far as it does brings some downside, especially those who wear glasses as the clamping force may be too high. The good thing is that, the Zoro HD is very forgiving and does not need an amp to sound good.

The Zoro HD comes in a nice, yet simple box featuring a carrying pouch, a detachable cable with inline mic and a button, manual guide and finally, the Zoro HD. The cable that it came with is anything but a volume control. Everything came in nicely and well presented. The design of the headphone itself as well as the red color cable reminds me a lot of Beats headphones.

The design, features, isolates, comfort and the sound quality of Zoro HD reminds me a lot of Ultimate Ears UE4000 which I too, like. While I do not have the UE4000 to compare side by side, but my memory tells me that the Zoro HD is a better pair of headphone though not by a day and night difference. The Zoro HD as mentioned, lacks in-line volume control, but in return, you get an foldable design which makes things much smaller for portable. As an on-ear headphone, I find the clamping force can be way too strong to listen to for extended hours even with the glasses removed. Due to the thin padding at the bottom of the earpads probably due to the folding patent, some leaking may be there, but adding some stuff at the back of the earpads may improve comfort as well as isolation. It is a reversible mod, but I am not responsible for any damage that may occur due to the mod. The mod also increases body as well as bass quantity.

In terms of sound, the Zoro HD that I have, has been given roughly 100 hours of burn in though no difference were detected to my ears. The bass goes deep, very well textured and pretty full bodied. Bass is, indeed, slightly above average in quantity, but it is well controlled and does not dare to leak into mids nor highs who gets softer and softer as you go higher in frequencies. In comparison, the Jabra Vox bass is much stronger but less controlled and compared to the ATH-M50, the ATH-M50's bass sound far more boomier and less controlled. The midrange is very detailed like the highs, it is not as vivid as the Grado SR60i, not as recessed as the ATH-M50 nor is it neutral like the Shure SRH-440. The upper midrange of Zoro HD is far more natural than UE4000 but by no means the most natural headphone but for $100 in closed headphone category, I believe it arguably is. The highs are where all the magic comes in hand. It is darker than the originally bright SR60i and ATH-M50 but the details it captures, is really good and definitely better than ATH-M50.

Neither the SR60i, ATH-M50 or Zoro HD offer perfect imaging, but the ATH-M50 did best among the three and the SR60i comes next with Zoro HD last although the difference in imaging between SR60i and Zoro HD are pretty comparable. Both ATH-M50 and Zoro HD lacks soundstage and instrumental separation compared to SR60i but it would be unfair to compare a closed headphone to an open headphone specially in terms of soundstage and instrumental separation. I find it acceptable to have Zoro HD to lack in soundstage and instrumental separation as it is, after all, just an on-ear headphone. Clarity wise, I find the Zoro HD did extremely well and surpass ATH-M50 and SR60i. It puts both the headphone to shame, revealing the grainy sound. Personally, I find it fatiguing to listen to ATH-M50 but that just me, as I am not a fan of huge bass and the upper midrange emphasis. The Zoro HD in terms of sound, is easier to listen to. If only ATH-M50's build quality and comfort can combine with Zoro HD's sound quality and detachable cable.

All in all, the Zoro HD is a near perfect headphone for $100 or less. I find it excellent with pop, electronic, dance, RnB, Hip-Hop, Rap, etc. But does not do quite well with genres which specially need great soundstage and instrumental separation like Classical, and Jazz. I find it decent with rocks and aggressive music, it is able to clearly play the sound of the guitar, though nothing compares to Grado when it comes to rock and aggressive genre. Unless you are a Basshead or/and wish to have brighter highs, the Zoro HD for $100, is a no brainer in terms of sound quality, I would personally take it over the ATH-M50.

Mar 14, 2014 at 2:42 PM Post #2 of 70
Great review. However don't you think the Zoro's would be better compared to the UE6000's? They are found for about the same price on amazon. 

Regardless, still a fabulous review. :wink:

-halfinfinity.

Mar 14, 2014 at 6:04 PM Post #4 of 70
One caution on these phones.  The spring or clip or whatever keeps the jack from the hp cable plugged into the phones gave out on one side with the zoros I owned.  Around 25 hours of use.  

Mar 14, 2014 at 8:25 PM Post #5 of 70
Great review. However don't you think the Zoro's would be better compared to the UE6000's? They are found for about the same price on amazon. 

Regardless, still a fabulous review. :wink:

-halfinfinity.

Thank you for the compliment :D

One caution on these phones.  The spring or clip or whatever keeps the jack from the hp cable plugged into the phones gave out on one side with the zoros I owned.  Around 25 hours of use.  

Thanks for the info, sorry to hear that :frowning2: have you tried contacting Noontec about this? @.@

Mar 15, 2014 at 9:52 AM Post #8 of 70

In this review, I will be introducing what I believe to be Noontec Zoro's brother, the Zoro HD. The Zoro was a very successful headphone that get positive reviews on several big audio forum/website like the Innerfidelity and CNet. While I personally have not tried the Zoro myself before, but today, a big thank you to Noontec for sending in me their Noontec Zoro HD for this review.

To summarize the Zoro HD in short, it is a great sounding headphone for $100 and I will not hesitate recommending it to anyone looking for closed, portable headphone with detachable cable and foldable design. If the Grado SR60i/80i is among the best starter open headphone, then the Zoro HD should deserve, at least, one of the best portable headphone at $100 headphone. However, we should all keep in mind of the on ear design on all the headphones mentioned so far as it does brings some downside, especially those who wear glasses as the clamping force may be too high. The good thing is that, the Zoro HD is very forgiving and does not need an amp to sound good.

The Zoro HD comes in a nice, yet simple box featuring a carrying pouch, a detachable cable with inline mic and a button, manual guide and finally, the Zoro HD. The cable that it came with is anything but a volume control. Everything came in nicely and well presented. The design of the headphone itself as well as the red color cable reminds me a lot of Beats headphones.

The design, features, isolates, comfort and the sound quality of Zoro HD reminds me a lot of Ultimate Ears UE4000 which I too, like. While I do not have the UE4000 to compare side by side, but my memory tells me that the Zoro HD is a better pair of headphone though not by a day and night difference. The Zoro HD as mentioned, lacks in-line volume control, but in return, you get an foldable design which makes things much smaller for portable. As an on-ear headphone, I find the clamping force can be way too strong to listen to for extended hours even with the glasses removed. Due to the thin padding at the bottom of the earpads probably due to the folding patent, some leaking may be there, but adding some stuff at the back of the earpads may improve comfort as well as isolation. It is a reversible mod, but I am not responsible for any damage that may occur due to the mod. The mod also increases body as well as bass quantity.

In terms of sound, the Zoro HD that I have, has been given roughly 100 hours of burn in though no difference were detected to my ears. The bass goes deep, very well textured and pretty full bodied. Bass is, indeed, slightly above average in quantity, but it is well controlled and does not dare to leak into mids nor highs who gets softer and softer as you go higher in frequencies. In comparison, the Jabra Vox bass is much stronger but less controlled and compared to the ATH-M50, the ATH-M50's bass sound far more boomier and less controlled. The midrange is very detailed like the highs, it is not as vivid as the Grado SR60i, not as recessed as the ATH-M50 nor is it neutral like the Shure SRH-440. The upper midrange of Zoro HD is far more natural than UE4000 but by no means the most natural headphone but for $100 in closed headphone category, I believe it arguably is. The highs are where all the magic comes in hand. It is darker than the originally bright SR60i and ATH-M50 but the details it captures, is really good and definitely better than ATH-M50.

Neither the SR60i, ATH-M50 or Zoro HD offer perfect imaging, but the ATH-M50 did best among the three and the SR60i comes next with Zoro HD last although the difference in imaging between SR60i and Zoro HD are pretty comparable. Both ATH-M50 and Zoro HD lacks soundstage and instrumental separation compared to SR60i but it would be unfair to compare a closed headphone to an open headphone specially in terms of soundstage and instrumental separation. I find it acceptable to have Zoro HD to lack in soundstage and instrumental separation as it is, after all, just an on-ear headphone. Clarity wise, I find the Zoro HD did extremely well and surpass ATH-M50 and SR60i. It puts both the headphone to shame, revealing the grainy sound. Personally, I find it fatiguing to listen to ATH-M50 but that just me, as I am not a fan of huge bass and the upper midrange emphasis. The Zoro HD in terms of sound, is easier to listen to. If only ATH-M50's build quality and comfort can combine with Zoro HD's sound quality and detachable cable.

All in all, the Zoro HD is a near perfect headphone for $100 or less. I find it excellent with pop, electronic, dance, RnB, Hip-Hop, Rap, etc. But does not do quite well with genres which specially need great soundstage and instrumental separation like Classical, and Jazz. I find it decent with rocks and aggressive music, it is able to clearly play the sound of the guitar, though nothing compares to Grado when it comes to rock and aggressive genre. Unless you are a Basshead or/and wish to have brighter highs, the Zoro HD for $100, is a no brainer in terms of sound quality, I would personally take it over the ATH-M50.

Nice review, i bought the originals a almost 2 years ago, still alive and kicking for me. But the build quality is pretty shoddy imo, mines has super glue in a lot of places, and i baby them. Rarely folded and never tossed. I actually found the comfort great, very light clamping force( almost loose), no head banging allowed. Could be cause my esrpads are broken in. I agree with u that these are made for modern recordings, real acoustic instruments dont sound natural. It was good for 100$ a few years ago, but i think with the market now, i think its only in the middle of the pack, maybe a bit higher than that.

Plus too many ppl ask me if im wearing fake beats. Which irritated me, its like asking me if im too poor to afford real beats, even fake beats at least look almost identical to the real ones, but the noontec has a diff logo making it seem like ibought them from the dollar store or something

Mar 15, 2014 at 10:23 AM Post #9 of 70
Nice review, i bought the originals a almost 2 years ago, still alive and kicking for me. But the build quality is pretty shoddy imo, mines has super glue in a lot of places, and i baby them. Rarely folded and never tossed. I actually found the comfort great, very light clamping force( almost loose), no head banging allowed. Could be cause my esrpads are broken in. I agree with u that these are made for modern recordings, real acoustic instruments dont sound natural. It was good for 100$ a few years ago, but i think with the market now, i think its only in the middle of the pack, maybe a bit higher than that.

Plus too many ppl ask me if im wearing fake beats. Which irritated me, its like asking me if im too poor to afford real beats, even fake beats at least look almost identical to the real ones, but the noontec has a diff logo making it seem like ibought them from the dollar store or something

First off, thank you for the compliment :D

Indeed the design should be more innovative. Look at L2, H6, 10R! Indeed they cost a few times more but I would actually prefer a better idea too! + the glossy plastics tend to attract fingerprints unless you get white color version or lighter color otherwise, the finger marks is quite obvious IMO. But nothing a glasses cleaning cloth won't help :D

Mar 15, 2014 at 10:50 AM Post #10 of 70
First off, thank you for the compliment :D

Indeed the design should be more innovative. Look at L2, H6, 10R! Indeed they cost a few times more but I would actually prefer a better idea too! + the glossy plastics tend to attract fingerprints unless you get white color version or lighter color otherwise, the finger marks is quite obvious IMO. But nothing a glasses cleaning cloth won't help :D

Exactly i forgot to mention i did get the white ones, but yes i wish noontec would try a better design. Rather than bite off beats. I would gladly pay more if they did that. Clearly their sound engineers know what their doing, now their designers need to keep up. All their earphones and headphones all bite off beats, hate seeing a company resort to that, their never going to separate themselves from the pack. But their making money so what so i know

Mar 15, 2014 at 3:39 PM Post #11 of 70
Nice review!

I would never wear them in public.  Look too much like beats, and the plastics are poor quality (IMO).  The average bystander would probably not know they sound better than the Solo HD, but they will be thinking I am poor/cheap/stingy/etc
wink.gif
  I

The UE6000s are nice, and they probably are a better value (Again IMO)  Not a big fan of the UE4000, but they were an excellent value at $30.  The UE4000 lacks clarity and detail for their MSRP.

Mar 15, 2014 at 7:07 PM Post #12 of 70
Nice review!

I would never wear them in public.  Look too much like beats, and the plastics are poor quality (IMO).  The average bystander would probably not know they sound better than the Solo HD, but they will be thinking I am poor/cheap/stingy/etc :wink:   I

The UE6000s are nice, and they probably are a better value (Again IMO)  Not a big fan of the UE4000, but they were an excellent value at $30.  The UE4000 lacks clarity and detail for their MSRP.

Thank you for your compliment! :)

IMO The UE4000 captures details well

Mar 15, 2014 at 7:38 PM Post #14 of 70
Did you get your UE4000 at MSRP ($100 USD)?  Several popular headphones went on clearance during the month of November, and I think I am under a spell :D

You mean you are dead serious on UE4000 going down to $30? I though you were just jokking... Sorry :/

Mar 15, 2014 at 9:08 PM Post #15 of 70
This was my entry into better headphones. I still like them despite getting better full sized headphones. Got them for $50. I also got the UE6000 and returned it because either mine was defective or I couldn't get a seal, so the bass was almost non-existant.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back