Noob question on entry level tube amplifier
Oct 28, 2012 at 8:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Punchy71

New Head-Fier
  I'm a complete Audiophile noob. I was wanting to know what the lowest prices might be for an entry level tube amplifier for headphones? Also, what differentiates one tube amp from another? What should I look for and what should I avoid? Which ones sound the best and which ones sound the worst and why?

Thank you

Oct 28, 2012 at 8:06 PM Post #2 of 3
Quote:
  I'm a complete Audiophile noob. I was wanting to know what the lowest prices might be for an entry level tube amplifier for headphones? Also, what differentiates one tube amp from another? What should I look for and what should I avoid? Which ones sound the best and which ones sound the worst and why?

6N11 tube amp. $50, sold on Amazon and eBay.

Oct 30, 2012 at 9:31 AM Post #3 of 3
Audio is a subjective hobby. The best for someone could be terrible for another and vice versa. You may or may not need a tube amp for the cans you want to use with it. 

Above post covers the lowest possible price for a tube headphone amp. Personally, I think 

You should look for a tube amp that is well matched for the headphones and source that you are using and avoid anything that isn't best-fit for you. You should put into consideration that tube amps use vintage (NOS) parts and are relatively expensive to maintain - compared to their modern, solid-state brethren. 

I would say the Woo Audio WA2 sounds the best (for me) because it is the only tube amplifier I own and one of a few that I have auditioned. The WA2 (smooth, clean amp) complements my Beyer T1 because it is able to supply sufficient power to the drivers and drive the headphones at a level I can appreciate my music. On the other hand, something like the Schiit Valhalla was not a good match (sounded bad to me) as at maximum volume, it couldn't supply enough current and was clearly not driving the T1 to its full potential. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back