Non-audiophile reactions to high-end headphones
Jan 20, 2012 at 5:38 PM Post #3,931 of 6,432

Quote:
It only took me 3 weeks to finally finish reading this thread. I have been lurking around here for a couple months, and bought Sennheiser HD448s for myself for Christmas for $50.

Anyways me and my friends were driving in a car, and one said his Bose headphones broke and now he only has crappy $15 headphones. I was about to listen to my headphones, but since he started talking, I had them around my neck and he noticed them. After he asked about them, I let him listen to them, and he was using them for about 30 minutes. It made me very happy when he said they sounded very detailed and good, but lack bass. He said he wanted to spend $80 on headphones, and said he heard about Grados, which made me even happier.

He said he wanted headphones that have a little more bass, that are circumaural and closed, and good for rap and rock. I gave him suggestions like the ZX700, MDR-V6, and Numark PHX Pro. I also suggested he go to Bestbuy to demo the ZX700 and anything else there is there. Hopefully I have converted my friend.

Unfortunately after this, the one girl in the car said Beats are overpriced, but Bose has the best headphones.
mad.gif

That mut've been an awesome day :D great story and suggestions. i hate when that happens....you hear one thing and u are all ... YESSS and then the party follows up with a dumb comment

Jan 20, 2012 at 7:00 PM Post #3,932 of 6,432
Two people in my class asked to listen to them.  They said they were good. I asked them to describe how they were good.  They couldn't think of any other word than good. 
Edit: By them i mean my Shure 940.

Jan 20, 2012 at 7:11 PM Post #3,933 of 6,432

Quote:
Two people in my class asked to listen to them.  They said they were good. I asked them to describe how they were good.  They couldn't think of any other word than good. 
Edit: By them i mean my Shure 940.

This reminds me of a article posted on Gizmodo or lifehacker recently
http://gizmodo.com/5873527/teens-may-not-be-as-tin+eared-as-we-previously-thought

it shows what you are saying. Teens can hear the difference but can't pinpoint it as they never had exp when they were young :/ just thoght i'd bring it up...and as an intro to my first post in this thread in like...almost a month

Jan 20, 2012 at 7:24 PM Post #3,934 of 6,432

Quote:
 Wrong in my opinion 
smile.gif

Example ~ almost all the flagships whether it be the Senn HD800, Beyer T1, Ultrasone Edition 10 - (ok, Audeze are on their own)
 are orientated towards a sense of brightness overall ~ they're not warm, fuzzy forgiving headphones.

Add any of the top tier Audio Technica's too ~ W1000X, W3000ANV ~ not treble shy in the slightest,

Other end of the spectrum?

Fiio Gear ~ warm, warm, warm. Why? It suits most poorly recorded material through average sourcing.

Up a notch in the mass consumer scale ~ Nuforce with the HDP and uDac2.

Well, not exactly bright, but kind of harsh sounding and very impactful, not exactly warm either. BTW, I completely agree with you that flagship headphones are mostly bright sounding. All of the leading brands like you said (plus AKG, Grado. etc). Also, being an audiophile i kind of understand the necessity to have bright sounding headphones, and dont really insist on warm sound that much myself. I bet having a pair of K701 explains a lot. 

However, for relaxed listening (not some hard core critical listening) do you think that the FiiO E17 (alpen) + E9 should sufficiently dim the slight brightness of the K701. Furthermore, do you think the E17 is a step up from the E7. Otherwise i don't believe myself that any other solid state amp would make them less analytical, maybe I should just go for a tube.

Jan 21, 2012 at 1:52 AM Post #3,936 of 6,432
http://gizmodo.com/5873527/teens-may-not-be-as-tin+eared-as-we-previously-thought

it shows what you are saying. Teens can hear the difference but can't pinpoint it as they never had exp when they were young :/ just thoght i'd bring it up...and as an intro to my first post in this thread in like...almost a month

Woah man, you are right, you haven't been here in a while, it wasn't just my imagination. Glad to see you back, didn't even notice that you got Headphoneus Supremus, im still 500+, I've also slowed down a lot, transitioning into recording.
Edit: forgot to actually respond to your comment. But ya I saw that too, glad to find another gizmodo reader. Giz talks about audiophilish stuff a lot. There recent article on beats got me alittle mad at them.

Jan 21, 2012 at 2:02 AM Post #3,937 of 6,432
Quote:

"A new study indicates that the kids' ears are alright, in that they prefer the sound of lossless music to MP3s, and flat-response speakers to those that distort sound in favor of bass or other frequencies."

Seriously? I've seen "NEEDS MOAR BASS" enough times to know that this is BS.

Jan 21, 2012 at 2:06 AM Post #3,938 of 6,432
Perhaps if they did the study again with rap instead of music, they'd get a different result. /onlykidding

Jan 21, 2012 at 2:20 AM Post #3,939 of 6,432

Quote:
Woah man, you are right, you haven't been here in a while, it wasn't just my imagination. Glad to see you back, didn't even notice that you got Headphoneus Supremus, im still 500+, I've also slowed down a lot, transitioning into recording.
Edit: forgot to actually respond to your comment. But ya I saw that too, glad to find another gizmodo reader. Giz talks about audiophilish stuff a lot. There recent article on beats got me alittle mad at them.

thank you for the warm welcome :D haha. and yeah. i got headphoneus supremus. it was just this years new years goal. i remember back wheni started how much i looked up to the top ranking head fi'er(even if it means nothing amongst the regular users) they were just these...you know what i mean right. so i had to be one :D i felt and still feel good about it :D

Gizmodo haha. i am a regular commenter there and used to  be stared. Gizmodo has really gone down hill though. i tried defending their new site change overhaul and everything calling it change..but it's gone downhill. everything from content to the still annoying site. The articles aren't halff bad, but they are wayyy too prejudice and bias towards things. some call it some.. spice in the articles ..i just don't care. they mod too heavily(why i lost my star,...they posted around 10 articles on the same TSA stuff in less than 3 days and i complained) they....don't know audiophile at all....at all....i mean..AT ALL. They make me mad about everything audiophile they try to say :xf_mad: hey at least lifehacker had the decency to actual cowork with head fi :D

and yeah that was a decent survery. they had some irks though in it i noted in the other quotes below

Quote:

"A new study indicates that the kids' ears are alright, in that they prefer the sound of lossless music to MP3s, and flat-response speakers to those that distort sound in favor of bass or other frequencies."

Seriously? I've seen "NEEDS MOAR BASS" enough times to know that this is BS.

haha. Affter reading this a couple times and seeing friends i won't call this BS. what i think this is is that their ears grew accustomed to audiophile sound and oculd hear the diff

Quote:
Perhaps if they did the study again with rap instead of music, they'd get a different result. /onlykidding

what you said is the first thing i thought of. not on rap music but testing mehtology. What equipment did they use? source? DAC? what? this and others were not answered at all. what genre's!...using a Bose AE2 on the subjects instead of say a Sennheiser HD650 will give you diff results

Jan 21, 2012 at 5:21 AM Post #3,940 of 6,432
I'm sure that the kid's ears are alright, but the question still remains how much of a priority is sound quality. How many of them actually know what is good sound and how it sounds? It would also be interesting to ask them how much money would they spend for an increase in sound quality and how much for an increase in looks or brand recognition.

Jan 21, 2012 at 10:27 AM Post #3,941 of 6,432

Quote:
I'm sure that the kid's ears are alright, but the question still remains how much of a priority is sound quality. How many of them actually know what is good sound and how it sounds? It would also be interesting to ask them how much money would they spend for an increase in sound quality and how much for an increase in looks or brand recognition.

You would have to normalize for their financial status and even so, it's still a bit too subjective to mean much.

Jan 21, 2012 at 12:47 PM Post #3,944 of 6,432

Quote:

Sound quality is not a concern to most of my peers. A lot of them have a crappy subwoofer setup in their car and that is basically what sounds good to them.

Jan 21, 2012 at 2:19 PM Post #3,945 of 6,432
I've let my little sister listen to my Grado SR125's and DT770 Pros. She likes them and sometimes asks to borrow them. When she was in town for Thanksgiving I took her to an audio shop and we listened to the HD800 and HE-500. She had a look of complete surprise as soon as she set the HD800 on her ears, a look that says more than words ever can.

I also let my two roommates use my Grado's while they were making some music in Garageband. Didn't see those Grado's for like a week.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back