Non-audiophile reactions to high-end headphones
Feb 8, 2013 at 6:18 PM Post #6,406 of 6,432
Quote:
There's still some left off after 20kHz though. 

With sample rate conversion it can get sloppy too. I think most dither methods are good but you've got to have a decent program to do it.

Oh yeah. Fair enough.

Frequencies outside the audible range are not consciously perceivable.

Seems like devhen is just making a straw man argument then. 

An ABX log would have been good. 

Sure the settings affect each other! i.e. IIRC a -V5 file has a 16k lowpass.

Feb 8, 2013 at 6:19 PM Post #6,407 of 6,432
Quote:

Its considered a non-issue when using higher bitrates like 320k. Also, frequencies considered outside of audible range are still perceivable (yes I realize that sounds silly but that's what scientists have to say about it) so enabled the high-low pass could also reduce your ability to perceive the difference. I don't want to sound rude but I get the feeling you two will fight me all day on this trying to get to the point where you can tell me there is no difference. Its almost as if your minds are already made up. Hm.... I believe they call that a bias. Again, I'm sorry for sounding rude saying that. I really don't mean to. I respect both of you and your opinions and your experience. I can tell the difference between these files and that matches up with what I've heard from several other very experienced listeners whom I trust who have told me the same.

Honestly, I'm not trying to attack you here. I do respect that you took the time to do the test, but given the different settings you used on the encoder that aren't normally used, and even the possibility of poor sample rate conversion with no/poor dithering, it could very well be flawed. It can be kind of hard to control something like that properly and eliminate all unwanted variables.

Feb 8, 2013 at 6:19 PM Post #6,408 of 6,432
Quote:
In my heart of hearts, should I have expected anything else?

I can just say "well it only took a short time, just do the test again." And I'm sure you'd reply "I don't have time, you won't believe me anyway" or something similar.

Really, honestly, should anyone expect anything else from you at this point? Do you even understand that 5/5 isn't a valuable made-up statistic as far as ABX goes?

Seriously? So now I'm lying. And should you expect anything else from me at this point? I wish you could hear yourself. You have no respect. You are clearly biased. I am telling the truth and I can hear the difference. You refuse to believe that because your opinion is set in stone. That my friend is a bias. I will do the test again and I will report the findings as accurately and full-proof as I possibly can but I will not be communicating with you in particular regarding this ever again. If anyone else wants to talk about it I'd be happy to oblige.

Feb 8, 2013 at 6:20 PM Post #6,409 of 6,432
Quote:
Originally Posted by chewy4 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Honestly, I'm not trying to attack you here. I do respect that you took the time to do the test, but given the different settings you used on the encoder that aren't normally used, and even the possibility of poor sample rate conversion with no/poor dithering, it could very well be flawed. It can be kind of hard to control something like that properly and eliminate all unwanted variables.

How about this guys... why don't you send me the files. And then give me the time to properly analyze them. And then show some respect when I come back with my findings? That's fair right? I'm perfectly happy doing that. It might take some time but I am very willing to do it.

Feb 8, 2013 at 6:23 PM Post #6,410 of 6,432
More than 80% of the world's population is forced to provide for themselves and their families, in all aspects of life, on less than $10 US per day. Do they "know something I don't"? ^1

More than 40% of people in the US will be arrested for a crime by the time they are 23 years old. Do they "experience things I don't", that I should try to incorporate in my life or treat as more valuable than not being arrested? ^2

More than 48% of Americans don't believe in global warming. Should I try to understand where they're coming from, in opposition to mountains of theoretical and observed evidence? ^3

Studies show that most people are instinctively racist towards ethnic groups apart from their own. Should I learn to become more like them, or should I learn to understand our common evolution through time?

There are answers to alllllllll of your questions already out there. You don't want to find them. 

Source 1: http://www.globalissues.org/article/26/poverty-facts-and-stats
Source 2: http://abcnews.go.com/Health/arrests-increasing-us-youth/story?id=15180222#.UHQ2eBXAdWZ
Source 3: http://www.gallup.com/poll/126560/americans-global-warming-concerns-continue-drop.aspx

Quote:
Actually, you're right, I have been jumping around a bit...trying to keep up with all the insults. I assume you're not religious? What do you say to 82% of the world who are members of the 4 major religions? What do you say to Scientologists? These people obviously believe and experience things that you do not. Things that may be able to be debunked scientifically, and yet they still believe and experience. Who are you to say that what these people believe is false simply because they're not able to scientifically prove the existance of their chosen deity?

Feb 8, 2013 at 6:23 PM Post #6,411 of 6,432
BTW, chewy4 I didn't mean to imply with that last bit that I think you're being disrespectful. You have been pretty respectful and you seem less biased toward an unmovable opinion on this than you-know-who. I would be happy to keep working with and talking with you regarding this.

Feb 8, 2013 at 6:23 PM Post #6,412 of 6,432
Quote:

How about this guys... why don't you send me the files. And then give me the time to properly analyze them. And then show some respect when I come back with my findings? That's fair right? I'm perfectly happy doing that. It might take some time but I am very willing to do it.

I'm been uploading a couple Amon Tobin files as we speak, but my upload speed is very slow. Should be up in about 5 minutes. No spectrum analysis though, that's cheating.
biggrin.gif

BTW, chewy4 I didn't mean to imply with that last bit that I think you're being disrespectful. You have been pretty respectful and you seem less biased toward an unmovable opinion on this than you-know-who. I would be happy to keep working with and talking with you regarding this.

No offense taken, don't worry about it.
normal_smile .gif

Feb 8, 2013 at 6:23 PM Post #6,413 of 6,432
Quote:

I can just say "well it only took a short time, just do the test again." And I'm sure you'd reply "I don't have time, you won't believe me anyway" or something similar.

Really, honestly, should anyone expect anything else from you at this point? Do you even understand that 5/5 isn't a valuable made-up statistic as far as ABX goes?

sounds like ridicule to me. You and your mate.

Feb 8, 2013 at 6:27 PM Post #6,414 of 6,432
Quote:
More than 80% of the world's population is forced to provide for themselves and their families, in all aspects of life, on less than $10 US per day. Do they "know something I don't"? ^1

More than 40% of people in the US will be arrested for a crime by the time they are 23 years old. Do they "experience things I don't", that I should try to incorporate in my life or treat as more valuable than not being arrested? ^2

Studies show that most people are instinctively racist towards ethnic groups apart from their own. Should I learn to become more like them, or should I learn to understand our common evolution through time?

There are answers to alllllllll of your questions already out there. You don't want to find them. 

Source 1: http://www.globalissues.org/article/26/poverty-facts-and-stats
Source 2: http://abcnews.go.com/Health/arrests-increasing-us-youth/story?id=15180222#.UHQ2eBXAdWZ

What point are you making here?

Feb 8, 2013 at 6:27 PM Post #6,415 of 6,432
Feb 8, 2013 at 6:28 PM Post #6,416 of 6,432
Something along the lines of "just because they all do it doesn't mean it's right". I know you're being purposefully difficult, but do you also realize it just makes you look ignorant to others?

Quote:
What point are you making here?

Feb 8, 2013 at 6:30 PM Post #6,417 of 6,432
Quote:

Feb 8, 2013 at 6:32 PM Post #6,419 of 6,432
You already quoted this one. Why not make a valuable response to something you haven't yet? Like
http://www.head-fi.org/t/527125/non-audiophile-reactions-to-high-end-headphones/6420#post_9143013
Quote:

Feb 8, 2013 at 6:33 PM Post #6,420 of 6,432
Permission denied for both :frowning2:
Quote:
Alright, files are up for those interested:

A: http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?sc7hkys7ln0t128
B: http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?7la3rsczapwh44k

Post your ABX logs if you want maximum street cred.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back