Non-audiophile reactions to high-end headphones Part II
Jun 27, 2013 at 11:16 PM Post #526 of 4,655
Today, got a friend to listen to Beethoven's 6th Symphony (1st movement) on my HD650s. Figured she use to play in the school orchestra so she could appreciate it. She sat there listening with a wide grin... and about 1 minute in... she said "I can see why you would spend that kind of money buying these headphones".
Changing people's understanding of how headphone should sound, one song at at time...
beerchug.gif

Jun 28, 2013 at 3:31 AM Post #527 of 4,655
Nobody in my family gets the obsession.
I mean, I've only bought 4 pairs so far (A900x on its way), and $202 (GMP 8.35D) was the most I paid, and I tried to relate my interest in headphones with my dad's interest in buying and trading guitar stuff -- some progress is being made.
Of course, all I have to really show are my worn-out M50s, and nobody even thought about A-Bing them; my dad's fairly convinced his $30 Skullcandy IEMs are better.
My dad actually makes music and has a pair of Samsons for monitoring, but I guess he finds the bass impressive (and there's nothing wrong with that, unless the bass just floods into the rest of the spectrum and I can't hear much else).

Jul 6, 2013 at 4:04 AM Post #528 of 4,655
It doesn't matter what other people think if you don't have self respect. You need to feel comfortable with what you do and if others understand, well alk the better. But it's your wallet and your time.

Jul 6, 2013 at 9:36 AM Post #529 of 4,655
My mother reaction to my fostex th900, is they are heavy but she told me that she know why me and my father spent much money to buy many headphones cause she know that we can't stop until we got the best

Jul 6, 2013 at 10:38 AM Post #531 of 4,655
Quote:
My mother reaction to my fostex th900, is they are heavy but she told me that she know why me and my father spent much money to buy many headphones cause she know that we can't stop until we got the best

I'm quite baffled by "heavy". The TH900 is a very light headphone that is very comfortable to wear for long periods. But good to know she likes it!
The HE-500 and the TH-900 are those headphones that can immediately seduce non-audiophiles 
biggrin.gif
. Especially the TH-600/TH-900 with that lovely sub-bass.

Jul 6, 2013 at 11:46 AM Post #532 of 4,655
I bought my girlfriend a pair of Soundmagic e10s. She thinks they sound great. Apart from that, she thinks I am a total loserr geek and believes you lot are in league with Satan. Both of which are no doubt true.

Jul 9, 2013 at 5:40 AM Post #533 of 4,655
Quote:

I'm quite baffled by "heavy". The TH900 is a very light headphone that is very comfortable to wear for long periods. But good to know she likes it!
The HE-500 and the TH-900 are those headphones that can immediately seduce non-audiophiles 
biggrin.gif
. Especially the TH-600/TH-900 with that lovely sub-bass.

Yeay is heavy for my mom, cause she usually use ATH ESW-9 which is very light

Jul 9, 2013 at 10:35 PM Post #534 of 4,655
Yesterday my Monster Vektr's were getting mad praise from the mechanic next door, who was ready to run out and grab them for his son... I suggested DT-990;s and was shot down. Didn't even get to the audition stage - just no...

Jul 10, 2013 at 5:28 PM Post #535 of 4,655
^Don't worry. You're not the only one. I had a roommate rave about them at BYUI, and after taking another one to B-Buy and comparing the Beats line to my M50, he concluded that they were 'trash.' Unless the Vektr sounds radically different compared to the Pro, Studio, Inspiration, Solo, Solo HD, etc. I'm thinking it wouldn't stand a chance against a similarly prices audiophile/actual studio/monitoring headphone.

Jul 10, 2013 at 7:19 PM Post #536 of 4,655
I worked at Circuit City before it closed.  We had a surprisingly decent selection of headphones (including Shure and Senneheiser).  I worked with a guy who was very much impressed with Bose QC 3's and was always recommending them to customers.  I took him aside one day and commenced with my explanation as to why he should take them to different sets of phones and offer different options (I should mention that at this point I only owned the HD555 and E3C).  Apparently, he had never auditioned anything but the Bose.  I told him about this forum I had recently joined called "head-fi."  A few weeks later, he left the company and I didn't hear from him for a while.  Two years later, I got a message from him on facebook.  He told me I had ruined him, because he had progressed through the Shure line, then Sennheiser, and had recently bought a pair of K701.  At that point, I had added a K701 to my collection and congratulated him.  He cursed me once again.  "Welcome to Head-fi," I said.

Jul 10, 2013 at 10:26 PM Post #537 of 4,655
comparing the Beats line to my M50, he concluded that they were 'trash.'

I'm not surprised your friend thought that. 
tongue.gif
 The only reason the M50 have so much hype is because they're an excellent jack-of-all-trades beginner phone. They're not Beats-killers by any means, frankly.

Jul 10, 2013 at 10:31 PM Post #539 of 4,655
Better watch your back, that could be a sign that your son is planning something :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back