Non-audiophile reactions to high-end headphones Part II
Jul 17, 2014 at 5:13 AM Post #3,571 of 4,655
My mother didn't even want to try mine. She said it was ticklish....
  Back on topic! My mother whose nearing her 50s auditioned my HD600 with The Beatles 'Come Together' through the marantz player and was absolutely blown away. It made her day. She's used to Apple IEMs. I'm surprising her with a similar setup soon 
biggrin.gif

Jul 17, 2014 at 5:45 AM Post #3,572 of 4,655
Hehe, I've had my dad and a couple of my friends try out my headphones, but I've never gotten a reaction expect for the time when I had a friend listen to Lonely (by Rezonate) with my "wubz" EQ and M-80s. He kinda looked at me funny and was like, "Dayum"

My dad actually is an audiophile so we'd sometimes do listening sessions and share our thoughts on what each headphone sounds like to us personally. It's actually also quite useful for my DiY projects as I can always have a second opinion as to whether I did well or not!

Jul 17, 2014 at 5:47 AM Post #3,573 of 4,655
Of all the cans that I have had, my wife would listen to all of them for about one minute or two....then hand them back and say, yea, those are nice.

The HD800 she still only listened for a minute or two...then said....those are really nice    
tongue.gif

Jul 17, 2014 at 6:24 AM Post #3,574 of 4,655
My dad actually is an audiophile so we'd sometimes do listening sessions and share our thoughts on what each headphone sounds like to us personally. It's actually also quite useful for my DiY projects as I can always have a second opinion as to whether I did well or not!

^ this! I do the same. My mum does not like headphones but whenever I show my dad and did not show it to her because she probably won't listen, she will complain @.@ but then again, they both actually distinguish between headphones and are REALLY good second and third judges! My dad shares similar taste as me (he was an ex-audiophile back in 1990s) while my mum cares about vocals a lot xD

Jul 17, 2014 at 6:46 PM Post #3,576 of 4,655
This is what Top Gear think about Audiophile stuff:

Jul 17, 2014 at 7:36 PM Post #3,577 of 4,655
Non audiophile reaction to HIFIMAN HE-6 headphones using HIFIMAN EF-6 amplifier and Microsoft Surface Pro as source and media monkey media player FLAC files:

OMG - these headphones are simply amazing.

The detail in music is the best I've heard to date, its just on another level.

Very balanced with a punchy bass these cans matched with EF-6 amp really give you an immersive experience to your music and definitely gave me the wow factor for sure
L3000.gif

Game changer? - U betcha! :cool:

HFM HE-6 - Pure gravy all the way :wink: just remember that you'll be needing a very powerful amp to feed these puppies if you want the very best out of them...

Jul 20, 2014 at 2:31 PM Post #3,579 of 4,655
Being in head-fi for so long, i'm a little surprised how much flak head fi gets whenever high end audio is mentioned in other tech sites, and how much ridicule we get for 'wasting money' as well.

Jul 20, 2014 at 2:35 PM Post #3,580 of 4,655
I've actually gotten less flak for watches than headphones, which I've always thought was kind of weird, as watches are even more of a money pit.

Jul 20, 2014 at 2:39 PM Post #3,581 of 4,655
I've actually gotten less flak for watches than headphones, which I've always thought was kind of weird, as watches are even more of a money pit.

Yeah that is true too. Especially seeing that watches don't really offer that much more functionality for price than headphones. But i would guess that headphones have very little 'status' or 'class' and are generally seen as generic $15 computer parts while speakers don't even get flak when costing $50,000.

Jul 21, 2014 at 11:34 AM Post #3,585 of 4,655
Well dischord PM'ed me and bugged me about the Skullcandy Crushers there, so I blocked and reported him. I don't get why they even let 15 yr. olds on the site.

Slightly more on topic, I spotted a guy wearing HD598's from across the street waiting for a bus. I went and talked to him for a few minutes, and suggested he get a Fiio E18 or iBasso D-Zero for his Moto X, and that he would definitely notice an imporvement in the sound over running them off of his phone. He is the FIRST guy with good headphones that I've seen. I've seen some okay stuff, but nothing surprising like the Senns.

I've learned that it is easier to wow people with on/over ear headphones than IEM's. Once you've acquired the taste, IEM's seem to become more important.

I'm offended, I'm 15 too you know!
Anyway. Positive reactions from my buddies. One swore by beats, so I made him buy a PortaPro and Antec dBs. Now he comes to ask what senns he should buy. Looking to get him to buy the Alessandro MS1. I gave another guy my Monoprice 9927, which he uses a lot. When letting him audition my Sony MDR-ZX100, he declined saying "don't tempt me, I'm saving for an SSD. A musician friend heard the ZX100s and bought one of his own. Don't need high end gear to convert people. Also, 2 other people heard the Klipsch Reference S4i, and the PortaPro, to great approval.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back