NocturnaL Audio Custom Headphone Cables
Jan 25, 2014 at 6:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 207

tanykeat

New Head-Fier
I came across this manufacturer on store.treoo.com and it kind of felt like the one for me, but right now, there's only 1 review there and it's for the Hydra 8-conductor which is a hybrid of silver and copper (I'm planning to get that nearing the end of this year though). It seems like a new company and I just hope to get some reviews from current users of NocturnaL Audio cables.

http://nocaudio.com/

Took me some time to find their official site, which is kinda broken here and there and doesn't have much, but I'm just planning to get something nice (and flashy) to pair up with my Noble 3 (low on budget, and still in the midst of saving up for it).

Jan 29, 2014 at 7:20 PM Post #2 of 207
I'm interested too.   They have the best website I've ever seen!!!  Music by Macey Kate "Radiation" is awesome too!
I'd like to get the hybrid for my AS2 from Treoo too, but shipping is 40usd, too high!!!   There are some mini reviews on VRForums, 

Monochromatic from VRForums wrote this:
"Dealt with TS yesterday evening for a pure silver IC and at the same time checked out his copper IEM cable.

From what I have seen (and felt), looks and build quality wise, his products are easily as good as if not better than the big boys such as Whiplash and Toxic Cables. It easily leaves Null's cables in the dust.

To be absolutely honest, sound wise, comparing the IC with my cheepo no brand ordinary 3.5mm-3.5mm IC connecting my ODAC with my O2 and listening with my Grado SR-80i, I detected a slight improvement in the treble region. It was slightly clearer.

In the interests of transparency, I'll acknowledge that the sound difference was slight. But bear in mind that it was literally 30 seconds of AB testing and through a pair of headphones that don't really scale all that well.

When my CIEMs come back from reshell, I'll have a proper listening session and if I have the time, I'll post a simple review here. I also look forward to dealing with TS again, as I have the hunch that I'll be getting one of his IEM cables as a spare for my twag v2.

TLDR; friendly seller, excellent product, reasonable price. Thumbs up."

Jan 29, 2014 at 7:52 PM Post #3 of 207
Got a hybrid hydra 4-conductor for my UM3x. Very flexible, slightly stiffer than the original Westone cable, but it's very well made and the wood sliders are lovely to have. Not a bad option, and a nice price too.

Jan 30, 2014 at 9:15 AM Post #4 of 207
Just read some more on the VRF forums, here's another quote from them on the Hydra 4 hybrid like you got:

Mohdkhamsya said:

"Been almost a month since I used his hybrid cables for my CIEMs (Alclair Reference and Heir Audio 4A). They take a while to burn in as my brother discovered. These are obviously a step up from stock cables. Nicer looking, build quality is quite good, although the wires are quite thin. Sound wise, the cables are more resolving, has slightly improved bass body with greater slam and more sparkle in the highs. Frequency extension didn't change. Of course they cant compare with the silver poisons I have but its much much cheaper ($50 vs $350). I would say sound wise, its 60% of the SPs? Of course the extent of sonic changes differ with different (c)iems. I imagine the 8 core cables would have more of an impact sonically, have yet to try though. So if you want to upgrade from your stock cables, the $50 hybrid cable is a no brainer. Oh and Zack is a really nice guy. Ups for a great seller!"

Sprucemaple, be curious as to your impressions after burnin.  Its a fantastic price for you, $50 USD, but its $80 w/shipping to US.   I'm trying to decide if I want to get the Hydra 8, but I'm worried it might be too thick or might not like it, LOL!!  

Jan 30, 2014 at 10:50 AM Post #5 of 207

Sprucemaple, be curious as to your impressions after burnin.  Its a fantastic price for you, $50 USD, but its $80 w/shipping to US.   I'm trying to decide if I want to get the Hydra 8, but I'm worried it might be too thick or might not like it, LOL!!  

I reckon it's still a pretty good price even with shipping, considering the build quality and the flexibility of the cable. I don't think the Hydra 8 will be too thick, but perhaps an owner could chime in on that. 

I've probably used them for more than 50 hours, and I don't detect any significant change since I started using it, but compared to stock the soundstage definitely sounds wider and more airy, yet it does not lose any of the detailed sound that I love about the UM3x. I like that there's no memory wire, which is a huge plus comfort wise for me since I wear glasses. Hope this helps you make your decision :)

Jan 30, 2014 at 10:57 AM Post #6 of 207
Thanks for getting back!!   Now I'll just figure out if the 8 would be a noticable difference for my old floppy bear ears, LOL!!!   Actually, pricewise my ears would have to notice 2x difference, right???
beerchug.gif

Jan 31, 2014 at 4:14 AM Post #7 of 207
  Got a hybrid hydra 4-conductor for my UM3x. Very flexible, slightly stiffer than the original Westone cable, but it's very well made and the wood sliders are lovely to have. Not a bad option, and a nice price too.

I reckon it's still a pretty good price even with shipping, considering the build quality and the flexibility of the cable. I don't think the Hydra 8 will be too thick, but perhaps an owner could chime in on that. 

I've probably used them for more than 50 hours, and I don't detect any significant change since I started using it, but compared to stock the soundstage definitely sounds wider and more airy, yet it does not lose any of the detailed sound that I love about the UM3x. I like that there's no memory wire, which is a huge plus comfort wise for me since I wear glasses. Hope this helps you make your decision :)

I think I may like the stiffness if it's just slightly stiffer than the Westone cable. But if the 4-conductor is stiffer than FitEar's stock cable, I'm kinda worried bout getting the hydra 8-conductor (which I am planning to get ><)... And thanks for the reviews too! :)

Jan 31, 2014 at 11:28 PM Post #8 of 207
Just bought a used Hydra 4 from a VRForums member for $56 including shipping, good deal.   He'll ship it out next week.   Excited about getting it and hope it will sound slightly noticably better than the stock.   I'm not looking for any serious difference.   My new player, Studio V 3rd anniv is a definate noticable difference over my old player, Studio V.   What really bothers me now is after upgrading my car stereo which didn't sound as good before as my AS2, it now sounds better in clarity and highs!!!LOL!!   What used to be an anticipation of getting out of my car and putting on my customs is now a slight disappointment!!!

Feb 18, 2014 at 9:52 AM Post #9 of 207
Update:   So got my $56 Hydra 4 cable and it was just before bed, very sleepy, and decided that was the best time to plug it into my customs.   Well, the connectors were not for recessed sockets and me "half awake" didn't notice and busted one of my sockets forcing it in.   Long story short:   I did shave them down with a dremmel tool and now they fit with some play doh or something like to hold them in.   Definately more fuller sound and clarity across the board is still there.   So with Idiot now my middle name, LOL, I am going to send my customs back to get fixed for $50(I figure for $300 apiece its better to fix it right vs a DIY.   Next, I've almost decided to order the Hydra 8 from Treoos for $156 including shipping, its $109 total for the Hydra 4.  My total limit for a new cable was $200.   Now its $106.   Guess it would be smart to just get the Hydra 4, LOL!

Feb 21, 2014 at 3:07 PM Post #10 of 207
Hi there,

May i know what socket was terminated when you bought the cable from the guy in forum?

The different types of sockets that i used on my cables should be all compatible with all recessed sockets. 

Anyway, if you have any more questions, feel free to drop me a PM. 

Nocturnal Audio website is still not fully updated, thus be a little more patient!

Cheers,

Zack

Feb 21, 2014 at 3:54 PM Post #11 of 207
  Hi there,

May i know what socket was terminated when you bought the cable from the guy in forum?

The different types of sockets that i used on my cables should be all compatible with all recessed sockets. 

Anyway, if you have any more questions, feel free to drop me a PM. 

Nocturnal Audio website is still not fully updated, thus be a little more patient!

Cheers,

Zack

pm sent

Mar 7, 2014 at 2:32 PM Post #13 of 207
How much would it be for a custom cable for TF10? I haven't used these headphones in years since stock cable was always annoying to me and I'm looking to replace it. PM me please. Thanks 

Mar 7, 2014 at 3:38 PM Post #14 of 207
  How much would it be for a custom cable for TF10? I haven't used these headphones in years since stock cable was always annoying to me and I'm looking to replace it. PM me please. Thanks 

Treoo actually sells the Nocturnal Cables
http://store.treoo.com/main/shop-by-brand/n/nocturnal-audio.html.  
Customer service at Treoo is excellent, and they will tell you which of his and the connection you will need.

Mar 7, 2014 at 4:14 PM Post #15 of 207
  Treoo actually sells the Nocturnal Cables
http://store.treoo.com/main/shop-by-brand/n/nocturnal-audio.html.  
Customer service at Treoo is excellent, and they will tell you which of his and the connection you will need.

I see prices are in Singapore $ ... I would rather prefer buying from someone here in US so I can get it quicker. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back