Noble Audio - the Wizard returns!
Sep 19, 2016 at 4:18 AM Post #22,082 of 36,115
And I realize that I mis-typed the relative cost of acrylic and silicone. Silicone is more expense. I'm used to the way silicone feels since that's what my current custom tips are made of. Having never owned any acrylic CIEMs, it's hard to really get a sense of which I will prefer. I'm leaning toward acrylic 1) to give it a try and 2) because it seems like a better "value", if I like the materials the same.

The comment about going on and spending the extra is fair, and is part of why I'm even willing to go up to $1k. :)

If you are used to silicone acrylic may not be as comfortable. The longevity issue still stands though.

Sep 19, 2016 at 4:20 AM Post #22,083 of 36,115
Nothing beats the comfort and ease of insertion you get with customs, but having the Katana as a universal means I can let other people experience how the music should sound and I'm just standing there like...

Sep 19, 2016 at 10:24 AM Post #22,086 of 36,115
  This guy has been running around small street pubs wowing a lot of folks in Thailand.   My wife pointed him out to me today, and she had no idea who ACDC was.

Bon Scott would be proud!! 
beerchug.gif

Sep 19, 2016 at 5:38 PM Post #22,087 of 36,115
Warning! This could be hog wash. I read recently that the new Apple headphone dongle might be beneficial when used with some multi BA IEM's. The iPhone 6S puts out 3.3 ohm from its HO. The dongle 0.5. (I may have those figures wrong. I cannot find the post)
Anyway I was in the Apple Store today and bought a dongle. To my ears it does improve the SQ that I am getting from the 6S with my K10's. Does all this stack up technically or is it my wishful thinking?

Sep 19, 2016 at 9:29 PM Post #22,088 of 36,115
Btw, sla is acrylic, but it is 3d printed acrylic, which is why it is cheaper

Yeah, that's what I thought I'd understood, but always good to get confirmation. Downside of SLA is no frills like wood or carbon fiber faceplates, which are quite attractive.

Savanna acrylic ciem

Savanna sla ciem

Savant sla ciem

The trident has a v shape response, which comming from an er product, it may not be your cup of tea

How dramatic is the V-shape response on the Trident?

I'm curious... if it doesn't get too much into proprietary or business secret-y type info, why does the Savant SLA CIEM have such a larger price differential with the universal compared to the other models? and no fully custom option like with the others?

I think what you're saying confirms my initial gut to go with the Savanna. I do really appreciate the responsiveness. Great service to a potential customer!

Sep 19, 2016 at 9:40 PM Post #22,089 of 36,115

Yeah, that's what I thought I'd understood, but always good to get confirmation. Downside of SLA is no frills like wood or carbon fiber faceplates, which are quite attractive.

How dramatic is the V-shape response on the Trident?

I'm curious... if it doesn't get too much into proprietary or business secret-y type info, why does the Savant SLA CIEM have such a larger price differential with the universal compared to the other models? and no fully custom option like with the others?

I think what you're saying confirms my initial gut to go with the Savanna. I do really appreciate the responsiveness. Great service to a potential customer!

How dramatic is the V-shape, coming from an ER product, very dramatic  

The Savant is available in the Prestige format, and the SLA format.

Noble Audio Stay updated on Noble Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/NobleAudio https://www.twitter.com/noblebywizard https://www.instagram.com/nobleaudio https://nobleaudio.com/en/ contact@nobleaudio.com
Sep 20, 2016 at 8:10 AM Post #22,090 of 36,115
Received a few days ago my K10C. The first thing I noticed is that the new logo (see my old post) looks FAR better IRL than it does in the photos. Seeing it only in pictures I was concerned that the new metallic logo is not as impressive as the old one, but now I'm really happy with the metallic logo, it surely looks very cool and classy. Also, thank you, John, for complying with my request of doing the Mystic Swirl in a blue color. It looks gorgeous and while it's clearly a matter of personal preferences, I find it more fascinating than the purple one.

Regarding the sound, I'm surprised that no one calling the K10 a "bass monsters", because for me they definitely seem to be the ones! I'm not a basshead for sure, but for one thing I like my Fostex TH900 that are clearly a bit heavy on the bass side, but the K10 simply redefined for me what a "bass heavy" is. Never believed that an IEM could produce these levels of low frequencies, it feels like a mini subwoofers implanted into ears. I suppose that this experience relates only to custom K10's as they go deeper and seal better than the universal ones, amplifying the LQ perception, also soft universal tips should absorb LQ a bit more than hard acrylic. Anyway, I started using EQ to roll off LQ a bit. Probably it won't be needed anymore with an appropriate aftermarket cable. Still, while K10's LQ quantity is a bit excessive to my ears, its quality is simply stunning and the control is amazing. As for the mids, vocal range is slightly forwarded, that's a good thing for me, and regarding the HF, I find both the amount and the extension just at the right levels. I don't hear any loss of HF information even on most complex classical pieces, while the sound is still comfy and forgiving enough to listen to J-pop like Aoi Eir for example, that I find too bright to my ears on the most headphones. Though I can understand that some people prefer more airy and open presentation (like SR-009 or HD800), I enjoy SR-007's sound more and the the K10 seems definitely close to SR-007 to me.

Prior to the K10 I never heard an IEM with a soundstage I could rate as any decent. While I know, that some people say that the K10's soundstage is only mediocre compared with some other TOTL CIEMs these days, for me the K10's soundstage is like a revelation, since it's the first time I hear some real out-of-head presentation coming from an IEM. That's more than enough for me and much more than I expected anyway.

To summarize, I think that going with the K10 as my first CIEM was a very good decision (FYI: the Katana wasn't announced yet at that time).

Sep 20, 2016 at 11:34 PM Post #22,092 of 36,115
What do you guys think of Empire Ears Zeus 14 / R when compared to k10?

Originally Posted by Cagin

And it's only fair I repeat here what I told Brannan at the show:
"if the Katana would've come out 3 months earlier, I'm not sure I would've still picked the Zeus R, I might've gone for the Katana instead. You guys done a really good job with this new iem" I personally enjoyed the bass presentation of the Katana for example compared to the K10 which is punchy

http://www.head-fi.org/t/684787/noble-audio-the-wizard-returns/21780   (post # 21790)

Noble Audio Stay updated on Noble Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/NobleAudio https://www.twitter.com/noblebywizard https://www.instagram.com/nobleaudio https://nobleaudio.com/en/ contact@nobleaudio.com
Sep 21, 2016 at 12:11 AM Post #22,093 of 36,115
What do you guys think of Empire Ears Zeus 14 / R when compared to k10?

http://www.head-fi.org/t/684787/noble-audio-the-wizard-returns/21780   (post # 21790)

I have the R and have auditioned the Katanas and K10. I agree with his sentiment that I would prefer the R over the K10 but thats purely on sound signature. I have always felt that the technicality and detail from the K10 is great but the warmer, almost U shaped sound signature did not float with me too well. However, for people who appreciate the more laid back sound signature, the K10 should prove to be the right choice.

Having said that, among the Noble line I would choose the Katanas over the K10. But that is why you have the power of choice right?

Sep 21, 2016 at 1:14 AM Post #22,094 of 36,115
Received a few days ago my K10C. The first thing I noticed is that the new logo (see my old post) looks FAR better IRL than it does in the photos. Seeing it only in pictures I was concerned that the new metallic logo is not as impressive as the old one, but now I'm really happy with the metallic logo, it surely looks very cool and classy. Also, thank you, John, for complying with my request of doing the Mystic Swirl in a blue color. It looks gorgeous and while it's clearly a matter of personal preferences, I find it more fascinating than the purple one.

Regarding the sound, I'm surprised that no one calling the K10 a "bass monsters", because for me they definitely seem to be the ones! I'm not a basshead for sure, but for one thing I like my Fostex TH900 that are clearly a bit heavy on the bass side, but the K10 simply redefined for me what a "bass heavy" is. Never believed that an IEM could produce these levels of low frequencies, it feels like a mini subwoofers implanted into ears. I suppose that this experience relates only to custom K10's as they go deeper and seal better than the universal ones, amplifying the LQ perception, also soft universal tips should absorb LQ a bit more than hard acrylic. Anyway, I started using EQ to roll off LQ a bit. Probably it won't be needed anymore with an appropriate aftermarket cable. Still, while K10's LQ quantity is a bit excessive to my ears, its quality is simply stunning and the control is amazing. As for the mids, vocal range is slightly forwarded, that's a good thing for me, and regarding the HF, I find both the amount and the extension just at the right levels. I don't hear any loss of HF information even on most complex classical pieces, while the sound is still comfy and forgiving enough to listen to J-pop like Aoi Eir for example, that I find too bright to my ears on the most headphones. Though I can understand that some people prefer more airy and open presentation (like SR-009 or HD800), I enjoy SR-007's sound more and the the K10 seems definitely close to SR-007 to me.

Prior to the K10 I never heard an IEM with a soundstage I could rate as any decent. While I know, that some people say that the K10's soundstage is only mediocre compared with some other TOTL CIEMs these days, for me the K10's soundstage is like a revelation, since it's the first time I hear some real out-of-head presentation coming from an IEM. That's more than enough for me and much more than I expected anyway.

To summarize, I think that going with the K10 as my first CIEM was a very good decision (FYI: the Katana wasn't announced yet at that time).

I'm surprised that you describe the K10 as a bass monster. I have always thought of it as very balanced, with a slight lift in the lower midbass. In fact I would welcome a little more true sub bass. I have never found the bass on the K10 to be overwhelming.
What source are you using? You sure you haven't inadvertently got any DSP dialled in?!

I have the R and have auditioned the Katanas and K10. I agree with his sentiment that I would prefer the R over the K10 but thats purely on sound signature. I have always felt that the technicality and detail from the K10 is great but the warmer, almost U shaped sound signature did not float with me too well. However, for people who appreciate the more laid back sound signature, the K10 should prove to be the right choice.

Having said that, among the Noble line I would choose the Katanas over the K10. But that is why you have the power of choice right?

I wonder if the Katana is going to become as feted on HeadFi as the K10...

Sep 21, 2016 at 1:27 AM Post #22,095 of 36,115
I'm surprised that you describe the K10 as a bass monster. I have always thought of it as very balanced, with a slight lift in the lower midbass. In fact I would welcome a little more true sub bass. I have never found the bass on the K10 to be overwhelming.
What source are you using? You sure you haven't inadvertently got any DSP dialled in?!

I pair them with my Cayin i5, no DSP is used. I agree that lower midbass specifically is being prevalent, it's definitely more that a "slight lift" to my ears.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back