Noble Audio - the Wizard returns!
Aug 6, 2016 at 4:35 PM Post #21,526 of 36,116
Well I modded my 1010 to make it more practical. I cut off the clip on points at the side to reduce the size a bit and then glued in better foam. Now when you shake it there is no rattle at all and everything sits much more securely inside. 

Nice one. So cutting the side bars didn't create any ugly damage?

Aug 6, 2016 at 4:44 PM Post #21,527 of 36,116
I wouldn't want to keep my K10's in anything with less protection than the Peli.
You could saw off and file down the clip on bars. Might help a bit.
I always have a backpack with me anyway.
JH Audio do a very nice metal "puck" case. It is branded though.
I found it a bit of a PITA as it is quite a close fit for the shells and cable...

This. Pelican cases are something of a gold standard for me, when it comes to portable travelling cases. I have a few cases, from 1010 all the way to a 1050. Would recommend them in a second to anyone looking for a sturdy case for their IEMs/DAPs.

For me, the best bet would be a 1020. Fits a CIEM and an aftermarket cable just fine. 
smile.gif

Aug 6, 2016 at 4:47 PM Post #21,529 of 36,116
It is a shame that they won't arrive in time to take to CanJam as the fitting reason you mentioned is exactly why I wanted to try it out first. To mix it up even more I am using a much thicker third party cable which is currently Toxic SW22 but early next week will be a Hydra 18 IEM (which actually has a smaller overall diameter despite more thickness of metal).

On a different note, you say it is make of smoked acrylic so you can see inside to make sure you aren't crushing your CIEMs. I assume this mean it doesn't have any padding on the inside as that would block visibility, that correct?

Do share your thoughts on the pairing of the K10 and the Hydra 18awg when you get them. I'm highly interested in trying out the Hydra myself. Thanks!

Aug 6, 2016 at 5:03 PM Post #21,530 of 36,116
Nice one. So cutting the side bars didn't create any ugly damage?

A bit, but it isn't too bad, I sanded and polished it but I didn't put much effort in so you could do way better than me if you wanted to. Fits in my pocket much better and my K10s are more secure so that is all I am really bothered about. 

Do share your thoughts on the pairing of the K10 and the Hydra 18awg when you get them. I'm highly interested in trying out the Hydra myself. Thanks!

Will do! Should get it on Tuesday I hope.

Aug 6, 2016 at 5:09 PM Post #21,531 of 36,116
A bit, but it isn't too bad, I sanded and polished it but I didn't put much effort in so you could do way better than me if you wanted to. Fits in my pocket much better and my K10s are more secure so that is all I am really bothered about. 

Job done. :)

Aug 7, 2016 at 11:43 PM Post #21,533 of 36,116
Damn. That's really sick. What material is that?

On a personal note, been trying to spend some more time with my k10s, very difficult to get a good fit. I'm pretty much stuck with triple flange, those are the only ones I can get to seal, which usually takes me a good 5 minutes literally. That's definitely the worst part of these IEMS.

It's also incredibly difficult abing them against other IEMs for that reason. I was able to ab it running balanced vs single ended. I don't hear any difference personally. That's using g a fiio X7 with am3. Also, using the whiplash modular system so I'm not really swapping cables out in the traditional sense. The wire stays plugged into the IEMS at all times, but you can switch the lower half of the cable.

The one thing that really stands out on the k10s to me is the treble extension. My God does it extend. I don't recall hearing treble ever extending so well in an iem (I'm a basshead so that means very little). I do love me some treble though, so it works out very well.

I've been focusing on comparing my K10s against my two favorite IEMS, both TOTL offerings from Tralucent. The Tralucent Plus 5 and the Ref 1 Too.

The Ref 1 Too is really a lot different than the Noble offering. The sound signatures are very different. I don't think they are similar enough. The Ref 1 does everything great, it's my number 2 in my modest stable. It's most dominant feature is it's head pounding bass. It excells in every are though, for me, it's been as close to perfect as I could find. I've owned the Ref 1 Too for several months now, but I did own the original Ref 1 for approximately a year or so.

I didn't compare them as much as the Plus 5, which I feel is closer in sound signature.

Bass, it's a unique experience on the Tralucent. There is an obscene amount, and it sounds absolutely fantastic. It doesn't spill into the mids at all. It's perfect for me.

The Noble, is definitely no slouch. I own the Heir Audio 8, and the K10 is reminiscent of the 8. It hits hard, deep, and is present when called for, much like the reviews have stated. It's a good amount of bass for a normal person, alas, I'm not. :)

Mids. The mids if feel are another strong point on the Noble. They are very clear, nothing spills over, with just a hint of warmth. Just the way I like them. On the Ref 1, the mids are a weak point (if you were to give them a fault, I dont really, but I would totally understand why people would complain).

Treble glorious treble on the Noble. Wow. It's there. It's pushing the limits but I feel it doesn't overstep the boundaries. It's damn near perfect. Absolutely amazing job.

Ref 1 has treble done very well, it just is approached a little differently. It's very hard to explain for me, but I've loved the treble on the Ref 1 for years now, and I still do. The K10s treble is definitely more in your face. Both seem to extend very well though. I'd give Noble the edge here, but not by much.

Soundstage, eh. Hard to determine on IEMS and with my fit issues I'm having a terrible time comparing the sound stage. Tralucent is well known for their amazing soundstage, that goes without say. I think the K10 holds it's own.

Build. Both are done nice. Different looks totally though. I have the universal K10s, so aluminum with red face. They seem to be built extremely well. Quality screams out when you look at it, and even more so while holding it.

Tralucent, love the look. Black with carbon fiber. To me it doesn't get much sexier. As a matter of fact, that's what I had my Heir 8 made like, and if I went custom, I'd do that setup with the K10. If had some small issues in the past with the cable and connection on my Tralucent Ref 1. The newer iem design seems to have rectified whatever the issue was.

For universals, I'd say they are pretty close. Custom, first off Tralucent doesn't offer it. However, even if they did, hard to beat Noble at that. They create some of the most beautiful IEMS I've ever seen. Great job gentlemen.

Cable. Tralucent comes with a stock silver/gold mix. It's a great cable. It's a bit thicker than the Noble stock cable. I won't go into sound, not worth the aggravation. I also own the Tralucent uBer Too cable. It's very pricey, I believe that cable alone costs as much as Nobles k10. You do receive a healthy discount if you purchase the upgraded cable when ordering new IEMS. I believe $750.

Anyway, both stock cables are great. I prefer the Tralucent, but I like a thicker cable with some bull. No comparison between the stock noble and upgraded uBer, completely unfair product.

They both come with Pelican cases and tips. Noble does offer 2 bands and that cleaning tool. Also, Noble stickers. Advantage Noble.

Now, on to which I prefer... If this was last year, there wouldn't even be a discussion. I'd take the Ref 1 all day... Basshead and all. Recently I've been trying to broaden my horizons some. Hence my purchase of the K10 and the Plus 5.

I still prefer the Ref 1, bass is just in my DNA. Doesn't take anything away from the K10. It's a great IEM, which I'm beginning to really enjoy.

Now compared to the Plus 5, they are much more similar than different... I'll have to save that for another night though. It's late and I'm tired. Plus, I have work to do.

Sorry for the long post. Probably should have just done a formal review.

Also, I eq the crap out of everything. My X7 is rooted and I'm running Neutron (20 band PEQ) and V4A (Viper4android). I'll play around with eq settings off to see how it does in its stock form.

Prices:

Noble K10 $1350 Wizard bday special
Ref 1 Too $1680 (Thanks Mimouille)
Plus 5 $1880

I want to compare some other genres of music as well. I didn't listen to much rock, classical, or metal. Most of the songs were rap and pop music, mixed with some female vocals like Norah Jones Stevie Nicks, etc. I want to give Frank Sinatra a better listen too. (which I really enjoyed very much on the Heir 8's for some reason. His vocals were incredible on them.)

I really am looking forward to the Plus 5 comparison since I feel they are much more similar. Sorry if I stated that earlier, long day and I'm getting loopy.

Aug 8, 2016 at 12:58 AM Post #21,534 of 36,116

On a personal note, been trying to spend some more time with my k10s, very difficult to get a good fit. I'm pretty much stuck with triple flange, those are the only ones I can get to seal, which usually takes me a good 5 minutes literally. That's definitely the worst part of these IEMS.

It's also incredibly difficult abing them against other IEMs for that reason. I was able to ab it running balanced vs single ended. I don't hear any difference personally. That's using g a fiio X7 with am3. Also, using the whiplash modular system so I'm not really swapping cables out in the traditional sense. The wire stays plugged into the IEMS at all times, but you can switch the lower half of the cable.

The one thing that really stands out on the k10s to me is the treble extension. My God does it extend. I don't recall hearing treble ever extending so well in an iem (I'm a basshead so that means very little). I do love me some treble though, so it works out very well.

I've been focusing on comparing my K10s against my two favorite IEMS, both TOTL offerings from Tralucent. The Tralucent Plus 5 and the Ref 1 Too.

The Ref 1 Too is really a lot different than the Noble offering. The sound signatures are very different. I don't think they are similar enough. The Ref 1 does everything great, it's my number 2 in my modest stable. It's most dominant feature is it's head pounding bass. It excells in every are though, for me, it's been as close to perfect as I could find. I've owned the Ref 1 Too for several months now, but I did own the original Ref 1 for approximately a year or so.

I didn't compare them as much as the Plus 5, which I feel is closer in sound signature.

Bass, it's a unique experience on the Tralucent. There is an obscene amount, and it sounds absolutely fantastic. It doesn't spill into the mids at all. It's perfect for me.

The Noble, is definitely no slouch. I own the Heir Audio 8, and the K10 is reminiscent of the 8. It hits hard, deep, and is present when called for, much like the reviews have stated. It's a good amount of bass for a normal person, alas, I'm not.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mids. The mids if feel are another strong point on the Noble. They are very clear, nothing spills over, with just a hint of warmth. Just the way I like them. On the Ref 1, the mids are a weak point (if you were to give them a fault, I dont really, but I would totally understand why people would complain).

Treble glorious treble on the Noble. Wow. It's there. It's pushing the limits but I feel it doesn't overstep the boundaries. It's damn near perfect. Absolutely amazing job.

Ref 1 has treble done very well, it just is approached a little differently. It's very hard to explain for me, but I've loved the treble on the Ref 1 for years now, and I still do. The K10s treble is definitely more in your face. Both seem to extend very well though. I'd give Noble the edge here, but not by much.

Soundstage, eh. Hard to determine on IEMS and with my fit issues I'm having a terrible time comparing the sound stage. Tralucent is well known for their amazing soundstage, that goes without say. I think the K10 holds it's own.

Build. Both are done nice. Different looks totally though. I have the universal K10s, so aluminum with red face. They seem to be built extremely well. Quality screams out when you look at it, and even more so while holding it.

Tralucent, love the look. Black with carbon fiber. To me it doesn't get much sexier. As a matter of fact, that's what I had my Heir 8 made like, and if I went custom, I'd do that setup with the K10. If had some small issues in the past with the cable and connection on my Tralucent Ref 1. The newer iem design seems to have rectified whatever the issue was.

For universals, I'd say they are pretty close. Custom, first off Tralucent doesn't offer it. However, even if they did, hard to beat Noble at that. They create some of the most beautiful IEMS I've ever seen. Great job gentlemen.

Cable. Tralucent comes with a stock silver/gold mix. It's a great cable. It's a bit thicker than the Noble stock cable. I won't go into sound, not worth the aggravation. I also own the Tralucent uBer Too cable. It's very pricey, I believe that cable alone costs as much as Nobles k10. You do receive a healthy discount if you purchase the upgraded cable when ordering new IEMS. I believe $750.

Anyway, both stock cables are great. I prefer the Tralucent, but I like a thicker cable with some bull. No comparison between the stock noble and upgraded uBer, completely unfair product.

They both come with Pelican cases and tips. Noble does offer 2 bands and that cleaning tool. Also, Noble stickers. Advantage Noble.

Now, on to which I prefer... If this was last year, there wouldn't even be a discussion. I'd take the Ref 1 all day... Basshead and all. Recently I've been trying to broaden my horizons some. Hence my purchase of the K10 and the Plus 5.

I still prefer the Ref 1, bass is just in my DNA. Doesn't take anything away from the K10. It's a great IEM, which I'm beginning to really enjoy.

Now compared to the Plus 5, they are much more similar than different... I'll have to save that for another night though. It's late and I'm tired. Plus, I have work to do.

Also, I eq the crap out of everything. My X7 is rooted and I'm running Neutron (20 band PEQ) and V4A (Viper4android). I'll play around with eq settings off to see how it does in its stock form.

Prices:

Ref 1 Too $1450 IIRC
Plus 5 $1650

I want to compare some other genres of music as well. I didn't listen to much rock, classical, or metal. Most of the songs were rap and pop music, mixed with some female vocals like Norah Jones Stevie Nicks, etc. I want to give Frank Sinatra a better listen too. (which I really enjoyed very much on the Heir 8's for some reason. His vocals were incredible on them.)

I really am looking forward to the Plus 5 comparison since I feel they are much more similar. Sorry if I stated that earlier, long day and I'm getting loopy.

which usually takes me a good 5 minutes literally. Should get the K10C, buddy! Pain will be gone in 5 sec.

Aug 8, 2016 at 9:15 AM Post #21,536 of 36,116

The Noble, is definitely no slouch. I own the Heir Audio 8, and the K10 is reminiscent of the 8. It hits hard, deep, and is present when called for, much like the reviews have stated. It's a good amount of bass for a normal person, alas, I'm not.
smily_headphones1.gif

Prices:

Ref 1 Too $1450 IIRC
Plus 5 $1650

Noble Audio Stay updated on Noble Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/NobleAudio https://www.twitter.com/noblebywizard https://www.instagram.com/nobleaudio https://nobleaudio.com/en/ contact@nobleaudio.com
Aug 8, 2016 at 9:47 AM Post #21,537 of 36,116

Yet you and @meomap both decided to quote all of it 
biggrin.gif

In other news: I am an idiot. (Hello custom title...)
Due to p155 poor planning, I'm now back at work after a 6 week absense but without my AK240 or any other decent way of outputting audio. Oh my $deity I had completely forgotten how crummy a laptop headphone output actually is! 
triportsad.gif

Aug 8, 2016 at 9:51 AM Post #21,538 of 36,116
  Yet you and @meomap both decided to quote all of it 
biggrin.gif

In other news: I am an idiot. (Hello custom title...)
Due to p155 poor planning, I'm now back at work after a 6 week absense but without my AK240 or any other decent way of outputting audio. Oh my $deity I had completely forgotten how crummy a laptop headphone output actually is! 
triportsad.gif

I fly to Penang tomorrow, should I use the Katanas, the K10's or the........   so many choices

Noble Audio Stay updated on Noble Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/NobleAudio https://www.twitter.com/noblebywizard https://www.instagram.com/nobleaudio https://nobleaudio.com/en/ contact@nobleaudio.com
Aug 8, 2016 at 9:57 AM Post #21,539 of 36,116
  I fly to Penang tomorrow, should I use the Katanas, the K10's or the........   so many choices

I would consider using a plane
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back