Noble Audio - the Wizard returns!
Jul 20, 2016 at 7:01 PM Post #21,256 of 36,059
It may not necessarily be a reference to Noble and the Kaiser. From what I know of Jack he is a big World Of Warcraft fan, and in Wow altmk there was a cheat code in WoW called keyersoze which if you entered it would give you extra gold. Admittetly it has been YEARS since I'e played WoW so I don't know if that cheat code still exists.

Warcraft 3 to be precise.

Jul 21, 2016 at 1:34 AM Post #21,259 of 36,059
I'n asking for the 3rd time. May I have the courtesy of a reply please. It's kind bad business to just leave me hanging. John and or Brannan what are the sound differences according to the company line? If your not going to answer could you just say that.

Well as time went on  I reserved my comments hoping that perhaps someone else would. It finally dawned on me that probably very few people are in a position to answer because the new Katana is just rolling out. I happen to have a prototype of the new Katana that was given to me by Dr. John and I also have a set of K10U. I guess that leaves it to me to to make some comments about the two. I am a devoted fan of the K10U. I own many iem's and I keep reaching for the K10U as my reference iem. Then came a package in the mail from John and I have had time with the new Katana. I have listened to the Katana extensively over the past month. It is without question a flagship grade product but very different from the K10U. In the Katana I realized that John had created a separate but different flagship so that he could appeal to a wider audience. 

So let me explain in simple terms the difference between the two that most headphone/iem enthusiasts can easily grasp. The K10U sonically leans in the direction of the Audeze LCD or top Hifiman products as far as sound signature. The Katana is much more the HD800 or even the Stax reference sound. I am not trying to make a direct overall performance comparison between these headphones and iem's but many of us on this forum can relate to the house sound of those products. You will note that many would consider the LCD 3 to be a reference grade product while the latest version of the HD800 would earn the same yet they are very different sounding products.

The Katana is clarity first with an expansive soundstage for an iem. The separation of voices and instruments is exceptional. The bass is detailed though not with the weight of the sub bass in the K10U. There is a warmth to the K10U that pulls you into the music and makes most any well recorded material sound inviting. The Katana is much more a reference sound in the vain of the HD800. I have both and I enjoy both but for my musical preference I more often reach for the Katana. It should be said that I am a fan of classical music and I have owned both the HD800 and some Stax gear. So having said that, you know where my personal listening preference falls. 

Many companies have produced more than one flagship quality product to appeal to different segments of the market. It is just smart business. Some like open headphones and some like closed back headphones. We all have our own listening preference. As someone who actually owns both the K10U and the Katana I can say without reservation that they are both flagship quality products while appealing to people with different listening preferences. I applaud Dr. John for being able to create two such fine products.

Jul 21, 2016 at 1:41 AM Post #21,260 of 36,059
  Well as time went on  I reserved my comments hoping that perhaps someone else would. It finally dawned on me that probably very few people are in a position to answer because the new Katana is just rolling out. I happen to have a prototype of the new Katana that was given to me by Dr. John and I also have a set of K10U. I guess that leaves it to me to to make some comments about the two. I am a devoted fan of the K10U. I own many iem's and I keep reaching for the K10U as my reference iem. Then came a package in the mail from John and I have had time with the new Katana. I have listened to the Katana extensively over the past month. It is without question a flagship grade product but very different from the K10U. In the Katana I realized that John had created a separate but different flagship so that he could appeal to a wider audience. 

So let me explain in simple terms the difference between the two that most headphone/iem enthusiasts can easily grasp. The K10U sonically leans in the direction of the Audeze LCD or top Hifiman products as far as sound signature. The Katana is much more the HD800 or even the Stax reference sound. I am not trying to make a direct overall performance comparison between these headphones and iem's but many of us on this forum can relate to the house sound of those products. You will note that many would consider the LCD 3 to be a reference grade product while the latest version of the HD800 would earn the same yet they are very different sounding products.

The Katana is clarity first with an expansive soundstage for an iem. The separation of voices and instruments is exceptional. The bass is detailed though not with the weight of the sub bass in the K10U. There is a warmth to the K10U that pulls you into the music and makes most any well recorded material sound inviting. The Katana is much more a reference sound in the vain of the HD800. I have both and I enjoy both but for my musical preference I more often reach for the Katana. It should be said that I am a fan of classical music and I have owned both the HD800 and some Stax gear. So having said that, you know where my personal listening preference falls. 

Many companies have produced more than one flagship quality product to appeal to different segments of the market. It is just smart business. Some like open headphones and some like closed back headphones. We all have our own listening preference. As someone who actually owns both the K10U and the Katana I can say without reservation that they are both flagship quality products while appealing to people with different listening preferences. I applaud Dr. John for being able to create two such fine products.

Thank you. Definitely, I will keep my K10 based on your hearing description.
K10 it is.

Jul 21, 2016 at 1:46 AM Post #21,261 of 36,059

Thanks for posting your thoughts

Noble Audio Stay updated on Noble Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/NobleAudio https://www.twitter.com/noblebywizard https://www.instagram.com/nobleaudio https://nobleaudio.com/en/ contact@nobleaudio.com
Jul 21, 2016 at 2:45 AM Post #21,262 of 36,059
Nice description! Makes me more sure of my recently purchased K10 Customs :D

Jul 21, 2016 at 2:48 AM Post #21,263 of 36,059

Thank you for posting your impressions. I was hoping the sound of the Katana would be exactly as you described. I can't wait to hear them.
While I LOVE my K10C's, I also love my Stax SR-009's. The thought of having a Noble flagship IEM with a more "Stax-like" sound signature sounds perfect for me.
Hopefully I will be able to make it to the Noble event at Affordable Audio on Saturday and hear the Katana for myself.

Jul 21, 2016 at 3:40 AM Post #21,264 of 36,059
  Thank you for posting your impressions. I was hoping the sound of the Katana would be exactly as you described. I can't wait to hear them.
While I LOVE my K10C's, I also love my Stax SR-009's. The thought of having a Noble flagship IEM with a more "Stax-like" sound signature sounds perfect for me.
Hopefully I will be able to make it to the Noble event at Affordable Audio on Saturday and hear the Katana for myself.

As much as I love my K10 and Layla, and also auditioned the KSE1500, I don't think any of them comes close to the SR009. The SR009 is all about transparency, not sound signature, and none of these IEMs (including the KSE1500) are even close.

Jul 21, 2016 at 12:11 PM Post #21,267 of 36,059

Christ. They look awful.

Noble can't be paying him enough so he has to make do and mend....

wink.gif

Jul 21, 2016 at 2:43 PM Post #21,268 of 36,059
Christ. They look awful.

Brannan's shoes are special therapeutic devices! He needs them due to a tragic accident from his triceps dips competition days.

In other news, I'm looking forward to the Katana!

Jul 21, 2016 at 5:07 PM Post #21,270 of 36,059

First it's the pants and now it's the shoes, at least there are no reservations here about the shirt!

Don't forget the glove. 
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back