No love for magnums?
Apr 1, 2012 at 2:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 85

chrislangley4253

Headphoneus Supremus
Just wondering if you all considered magnums end game. I certainly think a pair of magnum drivers, when paired with the right cups, is something pretty darn special. I've yet to hear better. Gladly welcome any challenging headphones. PM me for my address :wink:

Apr 1, 2012 at 2:50 AM Post #2 of 85
I personally don't consider anything Grado related (as far as headphones) end game related.

Apr 1, 2012 at 8:58 AM Post #3 of 85

Quote:
I personally don't consider anything Grado related (as far as headphones) end game related.

ps1000. thats my end-game goal. the mighty ps 1000.

Apr 1, 2012 at 12:17 PM Post #5 of 85
Yeah, well.. You also think WASAPI makes a difference. :)

But, thanks for you opinion, I feel many people will probably feel the same way. 

Can you show me where it doesn't? As far as I'm concerned, pulling the Windows mixer out of the loop has to be good. At least I'm not one of those people who say one program sounds better than another...

Apr 1, 2012 at 12:22 PM Post #6 of 85

Quote:
Can you show me where it doesn't? As far as I'm concerned, pulling the Windows mixer out of the loop has to be good. At least I'm not one of those people who say one program sounds better than another...

Windows 7 streams bit-perfect. As does XP :) WASAPI won't harm anything, but it's not gonna make a difference. I used wasapi for a long time, myself.. So, I know where you are coming from. Try disabling it though... see if you can really hear ANY difference, you won't man.

Also, different audio players (if that is what you mean by programs) can sound different. I would say anything that sounds different from foobar is probably coloring the sound in one odd way or another. Same way I feel about amps, if one sounds drastically different from the competition, there is probably something wrong :) All good amps should sound real similar. Same for dacs. Headphones are more subjective, I guess. I like a natural sound, that's why I'm using the Magnums in limba, but hopefully I'll get to compare them to some other "end game or TOTL" pairs. Just don't expect to replace them. 

Apr 1, 2012 at 12:53 PM Post #7 of 85
On topic:  IIRC Currawong likes his Magnums along with his other "summit" level gear.

Also, Maxvla, Magnums aren't really Grados except maybe in spirit.  After seeing purrin's CSDs of the Magnums compared to Grados I became pretty interested in hearing a pair myself.

Apr 2, 2012 at 2:09 AM Post #9 of 85
On topic:  IIRC Currawong likes his Magnums along with his other "summit" level gear.

Also, Maxvla, Magnums aren't really Grados except maybe in spirit.  After seeing purrin's CSDs of the Magnums compared to Grados I became pretty interested in hearing a pair myself.

And comfort. Luckily, there are lots of pad and headband options. I use a Sony slider (adjustable) headband and bowls, myself.

Can you link to purrin's CSD?

Mine are still my favorite HP's.

What all have you out them up against and what cups do you have? The cups are real important. Aluminum is pretty nice. But wood is all over the place, including nicer than aluminum, if done right :wink:. I'm not sure a headphone more natural sounding really exists. Maybe, just maybe, with loooots more money.. but, for this price. I don't believe it will be beat for a long time, if ever.

Apr 2, 2012 at 7:42 PM Post #10 of 85
Topic guys!

Since someone mentioned me, I do still reckon the Magnums are excellent, especially in value.  It's probably easier to list what they don't do well than what they do: Big soundstage, isolation and long-listening time comfort.

Apr 2, 2012 at 7:53 PM Post #11 of 85
Full Magnum upgrade, making use of your MS2i cups, is the next headphone on my buying list.

I plan on loving them very much!

I will ask for black anodizing of all the metal parts, including Magnum buttons.

*Okay no... it's only the second headphone on my buying list. Right now someone has just planted a seed in my brain and I have a desire for a vintage RS1, which I never had until a week ago, dang!

Apr 2, 2012 at 8:14 PM Post #12 of 85
Well I figured if the OP wants to derail his thread he can. I took it to pms right away :p

Apr 3, 2012 at 12:16 AM Post #14 of 85
Neither of those. SR60/80/125/225/325 RS2 PS500/1000 HF1/2 GS1000 are what I've listened to. RS2 is the best of that group for me, but still not something I would have in my collection.

Apr 3, 2012 at 12:59 AM Post #15 of 85

Quote:
Neither of those. SR60/80/125/225/325 RS2 PS500/1000 HF1/2 GS1000 are what I've listened to. RS2 is the best of that group for me, but still not something I would have in my collection.

Got you, yeah none of those are hi-end imo either. The hp1000(i) is very impressive though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back