Nintendo announces DS successor
Mar 23, 2010 at 8:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 38

fraseyboy

Headphoneus Supremus
Breaking: Nintendo announces the 3DS, more news at E3 -- Joystiq

'A press release over on Nintendo's website appears to confirm the company's next handheld console. It is temporarily named the "Nintendo 3DS," and is said to include hardware and software that will enable "3D effects" without needing any glasses. The console is said to be backwards compatible with DS and DSi games, and is expected to go on sale (in Japan, presumably) "during the fiscal year ending March 2011" -- so within the next year.'

Wow.

Mar 23, 2010 at 9:15 AM Post #2 of 38
I am still waiting for a killer Zelda release on portable player, guess this might be IT
biggrin.gif

Mar 23, 2010 at 9:55 AM Post #3 of 38
How 3d can it be without glasses?

Still, Nintendo tend to produce the goods so will keep an eye on this one.

I did hear that Nintendo had said they aren't going to embrace 3D TV, I think this is a mistake on par with their not embracing HD. And I think they are wrong about the glasses. I think within a decade people will consider it completely normal to put on glasses to watch TV and I reckon it'll be before the end of the year that we start to see "designer" glasses in different styles coming out.

I know they tried and failed with the virtual boy, but this new 3D seems to be made for video games; I do believe it's the video games medium which is going to be able to use the full potential of the technology.

Mar 23, 2010 at 10:14 AM Post #5 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by MomijiTMO /img/forum/go_quote.gif
-puts on flame resistant suit-

I expect an sizable improvement in graphics. Right now it's a bit hard to pick up my ds lite over the psp.

I don't see them doing that. It's about innovative new gameplay, not graphics, for Nintendo.

Mar 23, 2010 at 4:46 PM Post #9 of 38
w00t! This announcement comes an entire 7 days after I bought a DS Lite. Ah well, I bought it knowing that gaming equipment depreciates at an insane rate of speed... I was planning on selling my 360 before I found out that $1000 worth of equipment is now worth $200.

Mar 23, 2010 at 5:42 PM Post #10 of 38
I hope it works out. To be honest, I'm not a big fan of the direction Nintendo is going in. They keep pushing "innovations", but neither the DS nor the Wii has truly pushed gaming in a new direction. IMO, most of the fun games on the Wii do not use/do not require using the motion controls. Some that require it would be just as fun if not more using a standard control style.

It sucks too, because Nintendo has some great series. I'm not nearly as much of a (hardcore) gamer as I used to be, far more casual nowadays since I don't have much time, but there are only a small handful of games that appeal to me on the Nintendo systems.

Mar 23, 2010 at 6:44 PM Post #11 of 38
That seems like a bold move, I wonder how effective this 3d thing will be. But honestly I dont see that alone as a reason for me to go and get one. I like the older DS for simple word games, puzzle games and the odd quirky game like Feel the magic or Elite Beat agents :p

This has me interested in finding out what the techs gonna look like, but not as a buyer.

Mar 23, 2010 at 8:43 PM Post #12 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by earthpeople /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I hope it works out. To be honest, I'm not a big fan of the direction Nintendo is going in. They keep pushing "innovations", but neither the DS nor the Wii has truly pushed gaming in a new direction. IMO, most of the fun games on the Wii do not use/do not require using the motion controls. Some that require it would be just as fun if not more using a standard control style.

Some gameplay is downright impossible with motion controls. I really wish that Nintendo would put more effort into game design and graphics, because those are very serious detractors with the Wii. I've never respected handheld gaming (It's kinda like most portable headphones, fun, but not really the same as a great desktop rig).

Mar 23, 2010 at 10:20 PM Post #13 of 38
One mediocre Sci-fi movie and the world is 3D crazy. What's next? Hulu Hoop or Pet rock revival?

Mar 23, 2010 at 11:40 PM Post #14 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by fraseyboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't see them doing that. It's about innovative new gameplay, not graphics, for Nintendo.

I see mostly cheap gimmicks with the way Nintendo is going right now, not "innovative gameplay."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back