Nikon D80 or Canon rebel XTI?
Nov 20, 2006 at 4:47 AM Post #16 of 41
I find the Nikon control and menu scheme just more intuitive. I used to be a film Canon SLR user and everything about the DSLR Nikons seems more natural when I picked them up and used them for the first time. I also like Nikons selection of kit lens better, which was good for me since I was buying new glass anyway (18-70, 18-55, 18-135 are all lenses that are good enough to not upgrade from for general walkaround use).

Having said that, if you find the Canon comfortable to use, it's hard to say no to the price savings because the quality of picture is otherwise comparable.

I do like the quality and versatility of Nikon's 18-200 VR (which I finally received after months of waiting)

Nov 20, 2006 at 5:00 AM Post #17 of 41
Agreed - Nikon's put a lot more money into figuring out how to control camera. The D200 versus the 5D and 30D is especially telling - the D200 has dedicated buttons for all the key functions, ESPECIALLY the big three (White Balance, ISO Level, Quality), has an additional programmable function button or two, a dedicated AF-ON button.....Plus, its mode dial can be operated with one hand while the Canon's system still uses a dumb layout that requires both hands to operate. Canon's pictures may be right on par with Nikon's, but when you need to be making split-second changes, especially when keeping your eye to the viewfinder, there's just no comparison. Canon gets their butts handed to them in ergonomics.

Nov 20, 2006 at 4:56 PM Post #18 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by warpdriver /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I do like the quality and versatility of Nikon's 18-200 VR (which I finally received after months of waiting)

Where'd you get the lens? I've cant seem to luck into one.

Nov 20, 2006 at 5:22 PM Post #19 of 41
For me, ergonomics are as an important a feature as any other in the camera, so I completely concur with the advice to go and touch them for yourself. You will have an immediate response in the positive or negative that you cannot possibly glean from reading reviews or spec sheets.

As a Canon film SLR user I am accustomed to a fairly substantial body, so most present-day digital cameras seem like toys in comparison. The Canon Rebel XT line is too small for my hands, and the 30D a bit better but not perfect. The Nikon grips are bigger & fit my hand well, but the D50 & even the new D80 feel too "plasticky" and cheaply constructed. I'm tending toward something that has image stabilization, either in the lens line or within the camera itself. So even though I really, really liked the feel of the Olympus E330 the best of all the <$1000 SLR's, there is no IS option in their line currently. Sony's Alpha feels quite cheap, and Pentax's are too small.

I think I need a bigger budget
frown.gif

Nov 20, 2006 at 6:40 PM Post #21 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by Samgotit /img/forum/go_quote.gif
BestBuy warranties are massive rip offs.

I would respectfully disagree here. BB fixed my D70 3 times and each time they returned it before the stated due date. On the 4th repair they replaced it with a D80 at no cost to me. I'd call that a heck of a warranty

That said as everyone is hinting any of the current crop of high-end consumer DSLR's would make a perfectly capable camera. Have a look at this link for a pretty in-depth comparison. There's also a great article on that site called, "Why your camera does not matter" that makes for an interesting read. So what's my 2¢? I'd say go for a D50 body while you can still get it and get some really sweet glass like the new 18-200 VR lens. Anyone who tells you that you need more than 6mp to get the job done doesn't know how to use a camera and is leaning on higher resolution to make up for poor technique (myself included in the hack category).

Best of luck,

Nate

Nov 20, 2006 at 6:56 PM Post #22 of 41
I have 2 systems. One Nikon (film-manual) and one Canon (digital). You cant go wrong with any of these. Either system has its advantages and disadvantages (Nikon - better for flash photography & nicer wideangles, Canon - better sensors and more telephotos) but at the end they both give amazing results. You should think about whether you see yourself in this hobby and if you would buy more lenses which ones do you think woud fit you better. My advise to you is try staying away from the kit lenses and get a nicer one.
biggrin.gif

Nov 20, 2006 at 7:01 PM Post #23 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by n_maher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would respectfully disagree here. BB fixed my D70 3 times and each time they returned it before the stated due date. On the 4th repair they replaced it with a D80 at no cost to me. I'd call that a heck of a warranty

Yes, I should have noted that was simply my experience, and it was not with a camera.

OP, will you want/need a spot meter? The Xti does not have one.

Nov 20, 2006 at 10:15 PM Post #24 of 41
Hi

i'm a D70s owner; 50mm * 18-70 * 70-300

D80 vs Canon rebel xti:
same image quality
ergonomics is a disaster on the Canon (all made of plastic, really tiny device, only 1 dial jog)

the nikon 18-135 has better optics than the canon 18-55, but not than nikon 18-70DX

to me the EOS 30D is really a good DSLR, well built, and pleasant to use.

regarding lenses, Canon has a nice fixed f/4 range of telelenses that Nikon does not have.

D80 or 30D, its up to you, but D80 is technically superior (sensor dynamics, maybe a better viewfinder too - not sure about that one).

Nov 21, 2006 at 12:49 AM Post #25 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by law1979 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi

D80 or 30D, its up to you, but D80 is technically superior (sensor dynamics, maybe a better viewfinder too - not sure about that one).

Certainly does have a better viewfinder, I think .95x compared to the rebel's .85x; very similar to the D200's.

Nov 21, 2006 at 12:50 AM Post #26 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by nsjong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, I just got my questions answered here...
D30 is for me then...

You mean 30D or D30, the 30D is 8mp, the D30 i think it's 6mp.

I decided to drop the xti off the list.

So 30D or D80? what do you think about canon's and nikon's lenses offering?

Nov 21, 2006 at 12:59 AM Post #27 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by ellover009 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You mean 30D or D30, the 30D is 8mp, the D30 i think it's 6mp.

I decided to drop the xti off the list.

I meant the 30D.
LOL, still waking up from the Wii line up experience.
eggosmile.gif

Nov 21, 2006 at 1:20 AM Post #28 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by ellover009 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

You need to pick each up and try it, remember a few things when you buy it.

1 - How it handles
2 - User interface
3 - Features - user functions, need spot metering? 5 frames per second?
4 - Lens avaliable for each range
5 - Cost of lens and accessories for each range
6 - Family or friends have a Nikon or Canon gear? Might make sense to get the same so you can share the gear and save cost

Nov 21, 2006 at 2:09 AM Post #29 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by chych /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Certainly does have a better viewfinder, I think .95x compared to the rebel's .85x; very similar to the D200's.

Ouch, that'd be a deal breaker for me right there. I've already run into situations where the .95 crop has cause me to have to adjust the composition of a few shots, I can't imagine what it would be like working with .85. It's really a shame they would handicap the viewfinder like that.

Nov 21, 2006 at 3:29 AM Post #30 of 41
Whats the size of the viewfinder of the 30D compared to the D80. I have tried them both, handled both, and honestly the 30D feels better, but I am not that sold on the LCD, the D80 I think has a bigger viewfinder, the LCD is gorgeus even if theyr same sized. I ask about size because I wear glasses and I need something that accommodates my glasses better, I tried the D80 yesterday, but last time I picked up a 30D was 4months ago. I have not adapted to neither of the brands so I don't have the bad havit of being sold on one way to do things, I am still able to train and adapt to a system unit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back