NEWS: Meridian Releases The Explorer Pocket-Sized USB DAC
Feb 28, 2013 at 9:13 AM Post #406 of 1,072
Quote:
The weirdest thing is Meridian publishes that 16 ohm spec for max output.  It's almost perverse they would do that, as clearly this is not designed to drive something like that.

Good point in a great post. Funny, I found the Dragonfly to be lean and Explorer to be rich (but not too rich) with the HD-650, opposite of your IEM experience.

Feb 28, 2013 at 9:23 AM Post #407 of 1,072
Quote:
I assume we would need a USB OTG cable to use the microstreamer is this correct?

Yes, because the Galaxy S3 is a USB On-The-Go (OTG) device.
It acts as 
. a USB peripheral when using a regular USB cable 
. a USB host when using a USB OTG cable.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/595071/android-phones-and-usb-dacs/840#post_8872299

The Galaxy S3 should behave as a USB host when interworking with a HRT microStreamer always behaving as a USB peripheral.

Feb 28, 2013 at 9:26 AM Post #408 of 1,072
I've had a Meridian Explorer here in the Ultra Fi Studio for over a week now, well broken-in, and thought I'd share some of my finding in hopes that they might help some fellow listers.  A few quick minutes here over my last cup o' joe this morning before I get to work on other things.

First off, there is some break-in.  The caps in the Meridian just seems to require it.  If you've ever heard this in the past - that's exactly what it is.  After a couple days, things just start to settle down.  No biggie, it's to be expected.

Second, the Meridian Explorer sounds...ridiculously good...well beyond its price point!  Meridian hit a line-drive homer straight to center field here in my opinion.  When one considers what it likely costs to build and package this thing and the $299 price, there's only really one explanation - Meridian is trying to broaden their appeal and expand the awareness of their company...become more of a household name... 'cuz they sure ain't making a killing on selling an Explorer at the asking price.

Third, packaging: first rate.  Expensive!  Classy!  Not that this impacts the sound mind you; but, it sure lends to the experience.  Bravo!

Fourth, the mini B input...poor choice, IMO.  I would have liked to see a standard sized type B connector.  I use a Belkin standard size B to mini B adapter, so that I may use one of my USB cables.  Yea, I know portability headphones and all; but, I simply choose to use the Meridian another way as well - a home install, in this case.  I know I will lack creditability as I use one of my cables and a couple of my filters; but, ignore that for a minute and consider this: I've found the Explorer to benefit from a USB cable and to be somewhat more revealing of differences in USB cables.

Fifth, coupled to four, the USB cable that comes with the Meridian is in my Studio a sonic travesty...  If you think you're getting everything from this little baby with the USB cable that came with it, you're only fooling yourself.  Sorry, seems kinda cold; but, that's what I find.  And, what everyone who's heard it here and who I've talked to with one also hears and has found...

Sixth, I would have liked to seen a pair of RCAs....

To me, the size and cost increase in the Explorer to include a standard size type B and a pair of RCAs would have been small compared to the broadening of the appeal.  My opinion - you need not agree.

All in all, the Explorer sets a new sonic standard for what it is and easily plays in the big leagues when it is cabled for doing so.

Now, I'm exploring (sorry) using various means of powering it rather than using buss power.  More to come. 

Feb 28, 2013 at 9:37 AM Post #409 of 1,072
I don't understand how people can hear differences in dirty USB power, capacitors breaking in, USB cables, yet they need a measurement for the output impedance to know if it sounds good.  If a high output impedance means a more pronounced midrange, rolled off highs and bloaty bass, aren't people hearing this and describing it in their reviews?  Instead we have people praising this thing like it is the holy grail and anything with the name Meridian is golden.

Feb 28, 2013 at 9:53 AM Post #410 of 1,072
Just for the record - I didn't say squat about the output Z.

Frankly, I don't understand how you cannot hear differences???  To me, it just calls into question your setup - but, I know people don't like to look in the mirror...it is only human nature.

Not trying to fight here....

Feb 28, 2013 at 10:05 AM Post #411 of 1,072
Quote:
I know people don't like to look in the mirror...it is only human nature.

Not trying to fight here....

Make no mistake, them's fightin' words alright. Passive-aggressive ones, but still. And so far you've been outclassed by keen wit.

Feb 28, 2013 at 10:48 AM Post #412 of 1,072
Quote:
Good point in a great post. Funny, I found the Dragonfly to be lean and Explorer to be rich (but not too rich) with the HD-650, opposite of your IEM experience.

I could see that.  Oddly enough, I actually found the DF to be warmer for lower impedance IEMs - I ran my 50 ohm GR07s out of it and didn't find quite the differences between that and say the ODAC/O2 as I did with a couple others I recall were 16 and 20 ohms range... with those, I did in fact like the DF more, but it might be because it pulled in the sibilant tendencies more.  Again though, confirmation bias is a funny thing.  By that point I might have already decided the DF had high impedance, and even learning that was not the case after the fact, I still couldn't wrap my head around the differences I perceived.

Right now I'm listening to the 334/000 w/ the ME back to back against my MBA headphone out.  The improvements from the ME to my ears are not subtle... far more clarity in the midrange, tighter/impactful bass, and more extension up top.  It just sounds awesome, and I'm not just saying that to save face - this is bar none the best portable setup I've had by a long shot.  I have tons of respect for Purrin and measurements don't lie... that said, I feel like I've just entered the audiophile twilight zone.  I'm eager to get my DF back today to compare.

Feb 28, 2013 at 11:01 AM Post #413 of 1,072
just got off the phone to audiofreaks. the man was very critical of using a HRT microstream with portable devices, even flat out saying it can't be done, and not to listen to audiophiles. Very strange. So Can it be done? i might opt for this, if the headstreamer is considerably worse in SQ.

Feb 28, 2013 at 11:39 AM Post #414 of 1,072
I don't understand how people can hear differences in dirty USB power, capacitors breaking in, USB cables, yet they need a measurement for the output impedance to know if it sounds good.  If a high output impedance means a more pronounced midrange, rolled off highs and bloaty bass, aren't people hearing this and describing it in their reviews?  Instead we have people praising this thing like it is the holy grail and anything with the name Meridian is golden.

Just for the record, my comments only refer to its performance as a DAC as I made clear in my post at the time. The impedance issue only applies to the Explorer's headphone outlet. It's still a great sounding DAC in my view.

Feb 28, 2013 at 11:56 AM Post #415 of 1,072
Quote:

The weirdest thing is Meridian publishes that 16 ohm spec for max output.  It's almost perverse they would do that, as clearly this is not designed to drive something like that.

That spec is a measure of output power into a 16 Ohm load, not a spec of the output impedance.

Feb 28, 2013 at 12:02 PM Post #416 of 1,072
Quote:

You are touching on something here that people avoid saying as it involves being "personal."  There's an elephant in the room, and its doing something distasteful.

At least 4 or 5 people heard what you are describing before any measurements were posted, which is why measurements were even taken in the first place.  It is unrealistic to find critical reviews for a product that is only a couple weeks old on this type of thread.  It will consist mostly of pats on the back all around, people trying to justify their purchase, and excitement over the newest/shiniest/audiophile brand approved product.

Something is also to be said for the notion that some may like the sound of this unit.  I've heard of crazier things happening.  Some headphones may not be as adversely affected by high output impedance as others as well.  Some may only be using the line out, which does not yet have any measurements demonstrating its level of  ineptitude.  These are all plausible and also all ways of tiptoeing around a delicate subject.

Feb 28, 2013 at 12:02 PM Post #417 of 1,072
Quote:

That spec is a measure of output power into a 16 Ohm load, not a spec of the output impedance.

I'm aware of that - my point is is while technically speaking that may be where its max output is, if the unit works sub-optimally with a 16 ohm load then it's a rather odd thing to see.

Feb 28, 2013 at 12:03 PM Post #418 of 1,072
Quote:
About the output impedance, seeing the rest of his review I wouldnt trust him about his measurements! He completly bashed the product and some days later said that it could be possible he got a defective unit.
I guess we are all deaf and this genius is the king of the reviewers...

Feb 28, 2013 at 12:09 PM Post #419 of 1,072
Quote:

Oh man oh man... as the owner of two pug dogs you had to use *that*.  Twisting it in deeper. 
very_evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back