Newbie getting started advice- Amps , tube vs solid state
Mar 21, 2020 at 1:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Litninbolt

New Head-Fier
Ok, so I’m really getting into headphones and want opinions advice as to what to choose. I have discovered the beauty of Roon and Qobuz and all things HD. I want to use a dac/amplifier at my desk. But I’m confused by the many tube headphone amps. I’m an Electronics systems designer, so understand digital vs analog, but don’t get the attraction to tubes\ amps. Seems to me a bit going backwards from some pristine signals and of course assuming a good engineered recording ( I know theirs arguments from analog purists) but what am I missing about tubes in the amp path. Is it simply a “taste” for a certain sound, or is it well known that tubes are preferred....

do folks actually liste to some music genre via solid state and other music via tube.
Do some listen to certain pairs of headphones on tub, and other headphones on solid state?

what kind of philosophies are out there that I’m not savvy to since I’m just picking up the hobby..

I want to get a dac/amp system for the desk in the $500 range...

Mar 21, 2020 at 1:51 PM Post #2 of 5
I could type out a long complicated response,much of which is personal preferences,headphones being used,etc...,but to boil it down into simple terms,if thats your budget stick with solid state.

Any tube based amp,preferably an OTL thats worth its weight is going to be at least 1 and half times that,usually more,and thats without a DAC.
Factor in the cost of NOS tubes and the narrow selection of headphones that will sound stellar from an OTL and IMHO its not worth it,unless your budget triples,if not more.

Mar 21, 2020 at 5:21 PM Post #3 of 5
Sennheisers are happier with tube OTL amps. Most of the rest of what I have likes solid state amps better. I would say it depends on which headphones you want to use. Yes, people use different amps with different headphones and music etc. If not for that we would all have a lot more cash. Well, except for @Monsterzero because he spent all his money on ZMFs :D

Mar 22, 2020 at 5:49 PM Post #4 of 5
Ok, so I’m really getting into headphones and want opinions advice as to what to choose. I have discovered the beauty of Roon and Qobuz and all things HD. I want to use a dac/amplifier at my desk. But I’m confused by the many tube headphone amps. I’m an Electronics systems designer, so understand digital vs analog, but don’t get the attraction to tubes\ amps. Seems to me a bit going backwards from some pristine signals and of course assuming a good engineered recording ( I know theirs arguments from analog purists) but what am I missing about tubes in the amp path. Is it simply a “taste” for a certain sound, or is it well known that tubes are preferred....
do folks actually liste to some music genre via solid state and other music via tube.
Do some listen to certain pairs of headphones on tub, and other headphones on solid state?
what kind of philosophies are out there that I’m not savvy to since I’m just picking up the hobby..
If your looking into using headphones that are under 200-Ohms, then go with solid state (or hybrid) amp.
Even if your going above 200-Ohm headphones, still get a solid state (or hybrid) amp.
To me tubes seem to be good with the few high Ohm designed headphone models that have lasted for the past 20 to 30 years.
Headphones designed to run a lot more off voltage, then current.
Where as modern designed headphone might require a lot less voltage (liked those plugged into a smartphone), but may need more current.

So are you looking to hook up a DAC/amp to a PC and using Room software to control the music audio?
Topping DX3s Pro or Xduoo XD-05 are good starter DAC/amps.

Mar 22, 2020 at 7:07 PM Post #5 of 5
The only time I've listened to headphones on a tube amp was with the HE1, so it's fair to say I'm in no position to say anything about tube amps.

Back to your question about DAC/AMP. For the amp:

THX AAA 789, its measurements are stellar and if I had known about this one when I was shopping for my V200, I would have gotten the 789.

For the DAC, I strongly suggest you start with one that has balanced outputs. For budget reasons I got the SMSL M300, it has really impressed me with its performance. You could look for other SMSL offerings for the DAC, unless you are one of those people who go "No Topping, SMSL or similar suggestions please."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back