New to the world of headphones and need help deciding between denons adh 2000 or bower and wilkins p5
May 15, 2012 at 7:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

Sam Powie

New Head-Fier
Hi, I'm new to the forums, so excuse me if i do something totally wrong. Anyways i usually use earbuds but I wanna try headphones.

However I am kinda stuck. I hear the Denon Ahd 2000 has great sound quality, but they are MASSIVE. I will normally use my headpones in public and on my ipod, so the p5's win in the portability aspect. But as a music obsessed maniac sound quality means a lot to me.Also is it true the denons need an amplifier to sound good?

Any suggestions, on which one is better or a suggestion on which headphone I should get would be much appreciated.
PS. I also hear the sennheiser hd595 and 598 are good.

My budget is around $400 or under.

May 15, 2012 at 8:09 AM Post #2 of 23
The hd598 are about as far from the d2k as you can get. The denon is big, a bit heavier, loose clamp, and has wonderful deep lush bass. The hd598 is light, super comfy, neutral and bass light. The 598 would make a much more portable hp but I'd take the d2k all day for sound quality.

gL!!

May 15, 2012 at 9:24 AM Post #3 of 23
Quote:
Hi, I'm new to the forums, so excuse me if i do something totally wrong. Anyways i usually use earbuds but I wanna try headphones.

However I am kinda stuck. I hear the Denon Ahd 2000 has great sound quality, but they are MASSIVE. I will normally use my headpones in public and on my ipod, so the p5's win in the portability aspect. But as a music obsessed maniac sound quality means a lot to me.Also is it true the denons need an amplifier to sound good?

Any suggestions, on which one is better or a suggestion on which headphone I should get would be much appreciated.
PS. I also hear the sennheiser hd595 and 598 are good.

My budget is around $400 or under.

Heya,

Maybe you're looking for an on-ear like the Vmoda M80 or AudioTechnica ESW9A?

Very best,

May 17, 2012 at 11:04 AM Post #5 of 23
The Sennheisers you mentioned are open phones, meaning sound will both get out and in, don't think it's very suitable for outside use.

Personally, I dig the look of huge cans :wink:

Mal's recommendations are usually spot-on

May 21, 2012 at 3:28 AM Post #6 of 23
Hmm, did some investigations and the denons are huge, bigger than i though. So which portable headphones are the best? And are the  AudioTechnica ESW9A soundwise better than the Bower and Wilkins P5? any help would be much appreciated as i wam utterly hopeless when it comes to choosing headphones.

May 21, 2012 at 4:58 AM Post #7 of 23
Yeah, dont go for the Denons for portable listening, and the B&W are not exactly highly recommended here. 
Do some more digging on the ESW9A, I don't own it so can't say

May 26, 2012 at 8:16 AM Post #11 of 23
Alritey its about time i made my decision, but before that just one last set of questions. thanks in advance for all your helpful tips.
Are on ear headphones significantly less comfortable than over ear headphones? 
And are there any headphones that are remotely portable that have a better sound quality than the above mentioned headphones, ie the ESW9A.
If not looks like the ESW9A might be the ones. 
By the way i didn't mention this before but i primarily listen to metal and rock, so i would like headphones to suit those music types.
Anyway thanks again in advance.

May 26, 2012 at 10:27 AM Post #12 of 23
The denon ahd2000 are too big for portability. The B&W P5 sound terrible to me. I can't think of anything I liked about these headphones. I suggest you demo them if you can before you buy. Over ear headphones are definately more comfortable than on ear headphones. But on ear are not overly uncomfortable.

May 26, 2012 at 10:47 AM Post #13 of 23
For rock + metal shure SRH440 are good, upgrade the pads and get a sennheiser HD600 headband pad and they are very comfy and sound great!

May 26, 2012 at 10:57 AM Post #14 of 23
As an owner of a B&W P5 I would recommend for using for ALOT of travel, they are comfortable and isolate very well (get a bit sweaty). HD-25s are a good solid choice for use out & in of the house but they do not fold.

On another note there is B&W P3 coming out which apparently are better for the price of the P5s and are Ultra portable. What music do you listen to?

May 26, 2012 at 11:05 AM Post #15 of 23
Well since your going for portable I would suggest you get somthing like the ultrasone pro 900 with fiio e11 and lod if you can stretch your budget a little and you dont mind bass and brigtness(alot).If you can't you can always get one of the lower models and pick one to match your tastes in music.I've owned the denon 2k and hd 598, i brefer the denon but depends on what sound sig you like.I han't heard the B&W.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back