New Teac HA-P50-B Portable DAC Amp
Feb 22, 2017 at 1:57 PM Post #286 of 319
Greetings, first post here! \m/

I bought the Teac HA-P50 to use with Nexus 6P, and much to my disappointment I get some cracking, popping and weird wobble in the sound, much like the fellows I've quoted below. This occurs when connecting to the amp with USB-C @ phone -> USB-A @ amp cable. On my OnePlus One the direct connection (micro-USB @ phone -> USB-A @ amp) didn't work at all, but when using OTG cable in between and connecting into the micro-USB port on the amp, it works without issues. So at least I've got a backup if I cannot get it to work on my main phone Nexus 6P.. Also my iPad Air works fine with the amp, but I'm an Android guy so I'd really like to have it on the 6P.

I was curious if you guys (@thesheik137, @rennwerkes or others) had solved the problem with the audio wobbling? I ordered a (very cheap, not sure if it's garbage) USB-C OTG cable to test, I shall report back with my findings.. Not holding my breath though. I wonder if it's related to the fact that the amp keeps charging the phone; I may be imagining things but it seemed as if the wobbling is less frequent when the amp is plugged into a charger. Also noticed that while PowerAmp recognizes the amp by name on OnePlus, it is displayed as speaker when connected to my Nexus 6P using the wobbly connection (tried with a second cable to be sure, it's not that)..

Anyway, thanks for any insight! I'll report when I get my OTG cable to try.

Quote:
  I've recently developed a new issue with my Ha-P50 and was wondering if anyone could help me out or has experienced something similar. 

I am using the Teac with my new Oneplus 2, which uses usb type-C. When using the stock Usb-C cable connected to the usb-A input of the Teac, the DAC works once it is recognized, which is not always the case. I usually need to reboot the phone, turn on the Teac and then open my music app for it to work. But after that it remains connected.

However, I have been noticing more recently that after a certain amount of time, there is an occasional warbling / slowing down of the music playing, which is a common issue of clock jitter. I'm wondering if this is an issue with the Teac DAC itself or a combination of the Usb-C cable and the Oxygen OS of the Oneplus 2. This issue does not exist when I use optical cable from my computer. 

I'm having a problem with my HA-P50.
When hooking it up to my HTC One M8 the sound has a periodic "wow and flutter" like a warped record on a turntable.
However, when I plug into my computer, sound is nice, clear, and even.
Any idea what might be going on?
Thanks

Feb 23, 2017 at 1:40 AM Post #287 of 319
I no longer own the Teac but think it was how I was trying to connect the Teac.  Ultimately I ended up mainly used a OTG cable (Audioquest) and never had the problem again.
I wish I could be more specific but it's been some time since I used the Teac.  Still a great dac/amp for the money.

Feb 23, 2017 at 1:45 AM Post #288 of 319
  I no longer own the Teac but think it was how I was trying to connect the Teac.  Ultimately I ended up mainly used a OTG cable (Audioquest) and never had the problem again.
I wish I could be more specific but it's been some time since I used the Teac.  Still a great dac/amp for the money.

Thanks for the info! So theoretically my coming OTG cable should help, let's hope so! :)

Feb 23, 2017 at 7:16 PM Post #291 of 319
Every time I connect my iPhone to the ha-p50 it stops playing and and I have to restart it. I don't know if anyone has experienced this. How do I check the firmware?

Feb 24, 2017 at 12:03 AM Post #292 of 319
Every time I connect my iPhone to the ha-p50 it stops playing and and I have to restart it. I don't know if anyone has experienced this. How do I check the firmware?

You can see the firmware version from the phone Settings app, in one of the About-sections. There should be Teac HA-P50 listed when connected. Sorry I don't remember the exact steps, I rarely use my iPad. :p

Feb 24, 2017 at 2:03 AM Post #293 of 319
When playing Tidal on my iPhone through the ha-p50 does it use the Dac of the phone or amp?

Feb 27, 2017 at 12:40 AM Post #294 of 319
I'm selling my teac ha-p50 I had two units and they both randomly stop when I'm playing tidal through my iPhone 7 Plus. I'm buying the peachtree shift. I've heard great things and it's only $200

Feb 27, 2017 at 6:28 PM Post #295 of 319
Tried the power pin trick with my Risio.  It doesn't detect the P50 unless it draws power.  Oh well.

Mar 3, 2017 at 12:06 AM Post #296 of 319
  Thanks for the info! So theoretically my coming OTG cable should help, let's hope so! :)

..and it did work with the USB-C OTG cable on Nexus 6P! \o/

EDIT: Spoke too soon, unfortunately.. While it works fine when the screen is on, when screen is off the phone ofcourse tones things down and I get this annoying pops/clicks in the audio occasionally, like 2-3 times per minute. Very annoying. I'm using PowerAmp, so the first thing I did is increasing the buffer sizes. Didn't help. Only when I enabled wakelock (meaning the phone wouldn't go sleeping) the clicks were gone (not 100% certain; brief testing). So PowerAmp is usable, but alas, Spotify is not. I think I'll go back using my OnePlus for music playback at home, or maybe use iPad for Spotify. Shame though.

Mar 7, 2017 at 11:31 AM Post #297 of 319
Anybody paired Teac with Sennheiser HD 600 or 650? How do they work? Teac should be good for up to 600 Ohm and I think HD 600/650 are under 550 Ohms in the peaks, should be fine right?

Mar 7, 2017 at 8:17 PM Post #298 of 319
HD6x0 are meant to be used with desktop amps.  Always.  At least a Matrix M-Stage amplifier.
Sure you can run them out of most portable amps, but they are outclassed that way versus HD598, AD900, and other more efficient and less expensive open-back headphones.
edit: (should put it this way)

Mar 8, 2017 at 12:22 AM Post #299 of 319
  HD6x0 are meant to be used with desktop amps.  Always.  At least a Matrix M-Stage amplifier.
Sure you can run them out of most portable amps, but they provide poor bang-for-the-buck that way versus HD598, AD900, and other more efficient and less expensive open-back headphones.

Damn, and I've been eyeing HD 600 or 650 and thought Teac would do fine (it's not the cheapest portable amp there is, after all). I currently have Denon AHD-2000 as my main cans (which I love), but I've been meaning to try open back. HD598/599 are a bit lower tier than my Denons, so I didn't consider them too much. For mobile use I also have ATH-M50X (I don't like those too much, way overhyped IMO), and B&W P5, but neither requires amp anyway. Most of my listening is at home, without side activities, so I thought the HD6x0 would be a nice alternative for the Denons.

Mar 10, 2017 at 2:48 PM Post #300 of 319
  Damn, and I've been eyeing HD 600 or 650 and thought Teac would do fine (it's not the cheapest portable amp there is, after all). I currently have Denon AHD-2000 as my main cans (which I love), but I've been meaning to try open back. HD598/599 are a bit lower tier than my Denons, so I didn't consider them too much. For mobile use I also have ATH-M50X (I don't like those too much, way overhyped IMO), and B&W P5, but neither requires amp anyway. Most of my listening is at home, without side activities, so I thought the HD6x0 would be a nice alternative for the Denons.

Have u tried ATH R70x?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back