New Sony Walkman NW-A300 Series (Android 12)
Jan 15, 2023 at 2:43 PM Post #17 of 4,156
Wonder if this can be used as a transport to an external DAC?

Waiting on battery life for Redbook quality flacs
From the NW-A300 Help Guide:
NW-A300 Help Guide said:
Battery life
Music (when using “Music player”)

MP3 (128 kbps) Approx. 36 hours
AAC (256 kbps) Approx. 36 hours
WAV (44.1 kHz/16 bit) Approx. 36 hours
FLAC (44.1 kHz/16 bit) Approx. 36 hours
FLAC (96 kHz/24 bit) Approx. 32 hours
FLAC (192 kHz/24 bit) Approx. 32 hours
DSD (2.8224 MHz/1 bit) Approx. 28 hours
DSD (5.6448 MHz/1 bit) Approx. 22 hours
DSD (11.2896 MHz/1 bit) Approx. 14 hours

Music (when using a music app other than “Music player”)

MP3 (128 kbps) Approx. 26 hours

Bluetooth (when using “Music player”)

MP3 (128 kbps)/SBC-Connection pref. Approx. 21 hours
FLAC (96 kHz/24 bit)/LDAC-Connection pref. Approx. 11 hours

Bluetooth (when using a music app other than “Music player”)

MP3 (128 kbps)/LDAC-Connection pref. Approx. 18 hours

A Bluetooth connection will shorten the battery life by up to 50% depending on the following conditions.

Format of the content.
Settings of the connected device.

Note

The values shown in this topic indicate the approximate battery life when the player is playing continuously with the default settings.
Even if the player is turned off for an extended period, a small amount of battery power is still consumed.
Battery life may vary depending on volume setting, conditions of use and ambient temperature.
The battery is consumed considerably when the screen is on.
The battery life may become about 40% shorter when some of the sound adjustments are active.
The battery life may become about 30% shorter when the [High-Res streaming] function is active.
Edit: Formatting of text in quote box.

Last edited:
Jan 15, 2023 at 2:50 PM Post #18 of 4,156
Wonder if this can be used as a transport to an external DAC?

If it's like the A105, it can be used as a USB transport, with the normal Android limitations (SRC). Some apps like UAPP, Roon ARC and Neutron can bypass this and work bit-perfectly...

Last edited:
Jan 15, 2023 at 3:04 PM Post #19 of 4,156
If it's like the A105, it can be used as a USB transport, with the normal Android limitations (SRC). Some apps like UAPP, Roon ARC and Neutron can bypass this and work bit-perfectly...

I know the A55 couldn't output via the NWH10 cable to a Schiit DAC, so I'm hoping this will be able to! Also wondering what the battery life would be like when used as a transport

Jan 15, 2023 at 4:07 PM Post #20 of 4,156
I know the A55 couldn't output via the NWH10 cable to a Schiit DAC, so I'm hoping this will be able to! Also wondering what the battery life would be like when used as a transport

Using my A105 attached to iFi Gryphon I get maybe 4-5 hours (streaming). The A300 is supposed to be better and I'm sure it is. We won't know for sure until someone actually gets one... :wink:

Jan 15, 2023 at 5:55 PM Post #22 of 4,156
Still have the NW-A45 which hasn't been getting used much lately. Think I will upgrade to this device before I go travelling again in May (don't like relying on my phones battery). I'm not particularly a fan of DAP's with an Android system, because of the battery performance, but seems Sony have got it right with this device.

I'll really only load Plexamp on it to access my music through wifi.

Jan 15, 2023 at 6:05 PM Post #23 of 4,156
If I may ask, how do you like that combo :) ?

I'm still in the honeymoon phase with the Gryphon, but it does appear to be the best sounding and most powerful portable device I have. I have used an iPhone, Hiby R3 Pro and Sony A105 as my sources and each works well. I honestly can't tell the difference between them. The A105 is very small, so it makes a nice compact stack with full Android capabilities (given the somewhat large Gryphon).

I also have a ZEN Signature stack for my HD6XX but I haven't compared DAC/amp yet... not sure if the Gryphon can drive them well, but It's mainly for my IEMs anyway.

Jan 17, 2023 at 7:36 AM Post #29 of 4,156
Is there any other difference between 306 and 307 besides the amount of internal memory?

I'm curious as well. My A105HN is the the version that came with wired IER-NW510N headphones (noise cancelling and ambient sound) that were surprisingly decent in sound quality. These are unusual in that all of the processing is done on the DAP. I haven't seen any mention of this feature for the A300.

Jan 17, 2023 at 4:04 PM Post #30 of 4,156
Yes, more power, but mostly as I had settled on 4.4mm cables for all my headphones and use these on my ZX507.
Was hoping the 300 series would be nearer to the 500 series than 100, but apparently not.
As the A300 series is the successor to the A100 series balanced 4.4 mm HO could hardly be expected.
You could upgrade to NW-ZX707 that is successor to NW-ZX507. Both have balanced 4.4 mm HO and with the newer model you should get much longer playing time per 1 charging cycle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back