New Sony high-end DSD gear, including a USB DAC
Mar 2, 2014 at 7:35 AM Post #76 of 401
  I have used my HAP-S1 with the LCD-2 rev 1 and with the HE-6. The HO is a bit under powered to get the best from the LCD-2 and nowhere near the HE-6. But from the speaker out (with taps) even the HE-6 sounds better than most desktop rigs I have heard. So assuming the UDA has the same characteristics as the S1 but half the power from the speaker outs I would guess that it would play nice with the LCD-3's.
However I have found that the LCD-2's are fussy about synergy with amps so who the hell knows.

Thanks for your input sluker.

Hopefully, there will be more reviews on the UDA-1, or, impressions about such combo.

Nevertheless, congrats to you; your HAP-S1 looks amazing...

Cheers

Mar 12, 2014 at 12:47 AM Post #77 of 401
I've been hard at work with the HAP-Z1ES:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=124280.0

I'm super impressed with it!

The HAP-S1 also looks like it packs a punch.  I hope to hear it some day...

Mar 12, 2014 at 12:06 PM Post #78 of 401
  I've been hard at work with the HAP-Z1ES:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=124280.0

I'm super impressed with it!

The HAP-S1 also looks like it packs a punch.  I hope to hear it some day...

Thanks Vinnie.
I would be greatly interested in what you think of the S1 as it is much more versatile than the Z1ES.
If you could include it in your thoughts when developing your mod packs that would be awesome. 
One observation is that it puts out solid power from the speaker out (Using speaker taps to the HE-6) but the headphone jack is not getting all of it. Any way to harness more of the 40w/channel in the HO would be appreciated, and I think would make it a killer desktop all in one solution.
Also your tube stage plans would be high on my list.
Having said that, I am quite enjoying mine so far.

Mar 12, 2014 at 12:16 PM Post #79 of 401
  Thanks Vinnie.
I would be greatly interested in what you think of the S1 as it is much more versatile than the Z1ES.
If you could include it in your thoughts when developing your mod packs that would be awesome. 
One observation is that it puts out solid power from the speaker out (Using speaker taps to the HE-6) but the headphone jack is not getting all of it. Any way to harness more of the 40w/channel in the HO would be appreciated, and I think would make it a killer desktop all in one solution.
Also your tube stage plans would be high on my list.
Having said that, I am quite enjoying mine so far.

Hi Sluker,

Ok - I'm going to have to order one of these.  It appears to be quite a bit smaller inside compared to the Z1ES, and more condensed.  Are you sure you wouldn't be interested in a headphone stage built into the Z1ES? 
wink.gif

Regarding the tube stage, for the S1 I think we'd probably only be able to do one tube (dual triode) like we do with our Bellina HPA.
The Z1ES has dual dac and I had space, so dual mono tube was the way to do with it.  The S1 is really dense inside, so it''ll be harder to work with.

Beefing up the headphone output stage of the S1 will not be a problem.  But I will also look into replacing it with something better. 

Realistically, it will be around 4 weeks before I can even start working on this because I'm really busy with the Z1ES, and my AK240 is finally coming next week and I plan to carefully look at that one next...

All the best,

Vinnie

Mar 12, 2014 at 12:58 PM Post #80 of 401

Hi Sluker,

Ok - I'm going to have to order one of these.  It appears to be quite a bit smaller inside compared to the Z1ES, and more condensed.  Are you sure you wouldn't be interested in a headphone stage built into the Z1ES? 
wink.gif

Regarding the tube stage, for the S1 I think we'd probably only be able to do one tube (dual triode) like we do with our Bellina HPA.
The Z1ES has dual dac and I had space, so dual mono tube was the way to do with it.  The S1 is really dense inside, so it''ll be harder to work with.

Beefing up the headphone output stage of the S1 will not be a problem.  But I will also look into replacing it with something better. 

Realistically, it will be around 4 weeks before I can even start working on this because I'm really busy with the Z1ES, and my AK240 is finally coming next week and I plan to carefully look at that one next...

All the best,

Vinnie

Cool,
No rush. I am still playing around with it and really enjoying it. Listening to that Audiophile Jazz station you mentioned. Did you come across any other 320 streaming stations?

Mar 12, 2014 at 2:32 PM Post #82 of 401
Yeah 320 sounds good, I also found some Electronic and classical stations in 320. It also looks like the S1 is upscaling the stream through the DSEE engine. At least the blue light is on.

Mar 25, 2014 at 7:34 AM Post #83 of 401
  I have used my HAP-S1 with the LCD-2 rev 1 and with the HE-6. The HO is a bit under powered to get the best from the LCD-2 and nowhere near the HE-6. But from the speaker out (with taps) even the HE-6 sounds better than most desktop rigs I have heard. So assuming the UDA has the same characteristics as the S1 but half the power from the speaker outs I would guess that it would play nice with the LCD-3's.
However I have found that the LCD-2's are fussy about synergy with amps so who the hell knows.

Hi sluker,

For your info, I have been listening my LCD-3 through the Sony UDA-1 USB DAC.

It drives the LCD-3 just fine, but, I do not think it brings the best out of the headphones. Optimal volume is 4/5 of the knob; anything above that, the music gets a bit distorted. One of these days, I will audition the Sennheiser HD700 with the DAC, maybe it is a better pairing.

Nevertheless, I bought the UDA-1 with the Sony SS-H3 speakers, and, playing them through the NW-ZX1 DAP. Amazing for a desktop set up!!!

Cheers

Mar 31, 2014 at 10:20 AM Post #84 of 401

Hi sluker,

For your info, I have been listening my LCD-3 through the Sony UDA-1 USB DAC.

It drives the LCD-3 just fine, but, I do not think it brings the best out of the headphones. Optimal volume is 4/5 of the knob; anything above that, the music gets a bit distorted. One of these days, I will audition the Sennheiser HD700 with the DAC, maybe it is a better pairing.

Nevertheless, I bought the UDA-1 with the Sony SS-H3 speakers, and, playing them through the NW-ZX1 DAP. Amazing for a desktop set up!!!

Cheers

How do you find your UDA-1 with the ZX1, as I am looking to buy the DAC too.

Contemplating the HAP-S1 or UDA-1, but UDA-1 seems the best fit if you already own the ZX1?

Mar 31, 2014 at 5:15 PM Post #86 of 401
It seems the critical part is getting the usb cable out of the walkman into the rear usb socket on the DAC, as the front usb port down samples to cd quality for the likes of iPads etc.

Apr 1, 2014 at 8:28 AM Post #87 of 401

How do you find your UDA-1 with the ZX1, as I am looking to buy the DAC too.

Contemplating the HAP-S1 or UDA-1, but UDA-1 seems the best fit if you already own the ZX1?

Hi mannp

I bought the UDA-1 (together with the SS-HA3 speakers), because, I owned the ZX1 first (as you mentioned, it seems to be the best fit/logical). I personally think the 3 of them makes up for the best, rather compact desktop set up from the current Sony hi-res audio catalog. Please bear in mind, the afore mentioned is my office desk set up.

I never heard the HAP-S1 before, so I will not be able to make any comparison. Nevertheless, I will try to answer your question below:
  1. The ZX1 is my primary DAP, the reason why it replaced my AK100 for daily use, is because of the user interface. The ZX-1 is as user friendly as any smartphone. Thus, having it to simply plug into the UDA-1 without the need of installing any software, and charging its battery when needed is of great convenience to me.  

1. Sound impression through USB-A port (front) - it charges the ZX1 (with the ZX1 stock USB cable), you can still listen to 24 bits music files from this port, but, I think the UDA-1 "down sample" the file to 16 bits. Through the LCD-3, the instruments separation feels a tad congested (well, the LCD-3 themselves do not really have the widest sound stage).      

1. Sound impression through USB-B port (back) - it does not charge the ZX1, but it does nicely play 24 bits music files (as you mentioned in your other post, you need the ZX-1 to be connected to the Sony WMC-NWH10 cable which interconnects with the UDA-1 USB A to USB B stock cable > UDA USB-B port). Again through the LCD-3, the sound stage does widen up, and, you can hear a decent bass extension (as mentioned in my previous post, I do not think it brings the best out of the LCD-3, but should be better with more efficient headphones). 

1. Design wise - both of them look stunning and well built

1. I think it is worth to mention that, the pairing of the SS-HA3 speakers and the UDA-1 is really great. They have been designed for one another, at the back of the UDA-1 there is a switch that optimizes this set up (sort of a gain optimization from the UDA-1).

Note: If you are not in a hurry to buy a DAC, which will be primary used for headphones. May I suggest you to wait and check out the Oppo HA-1 headphone amplifier which has 9018 ESS Sabre DAC chip, it will be launched this month (April 2014).

Cheers
Simon T.

I've also been thinking of buying the UDA-1, although I have the F886, and not the ZX1.

Hi Rod49,

From my understanding, there will be no problem in using the Sony WMC-NWH10 cable for the F886 to connect through the UDA-1 USB-B port as above mentioned.

:)

Apr 1, 2014 at 8:48 AM Post #88 of 401

Hi mannp

I bought the UDA-1 (together with the SS-HA3 speakers), because, I owned the ZX1 first (as you mentioned, it seems to be the best fit/logical). I personally think the 3 of them makes up for the best, rather compact desktop set up from the current Sony hi-res audio catalog. Please bear in mind, the afore mentioned is my office desk set up.

I never heard the HAP-S1 before, so I will not be able to make any comparison. Nevertheless, I will try to answer your question below:
  1. The ZX1 is my primary DAP, the reason why it replaced my AK100 for daily use, is because of the user interface. The ZX-1 is as user friendly as any smartphone. Thus, having it to simply plug into the UDA-1 without the need of installing any software, and charging its battery when needed is of great convenience to me.  

1. Sound impression through USB-A port (front) - it charges the ZX1 (with the ZX1 stock USB cable), you can still listen to 24 bits music files from this port, but, I think the UDA-1 "down sample" the file to 16 bits. Through the LCD-3, the instruments separation feels a tad congested (well, the LCD-3 themselves do not really have the widest sound stage).      

1. Sound impression through USB-B port (back) - it does not charge the ZX1, but it does nicely play 24 bits music files (as you mentioned in your other post, you need the ZX-1 to be connected to the Sony WMC-NWH10 cable which interconnects with the UDA-1 USB A to USB B stock cable > UDA USB-B port). Again through the LCD-3, the sound stage does widen up, and, you can hear a decent bass extension (as mentioned in my previous post, I do not think it brings the best out of the LCD-3, but should be better with more efficient headphones). 

1. Design wise - both of them look stunning and well built

1. I think it is worth to mention that, the pairing of the SS-HA3 speakers and the UDA-1 is really great. They have been designed for one another, at the back of the UDA-1 there is a switch that optimizes this set up (sort of a gain optimization from the UDA-1).

Note: If you are not in a hurry to buy a DAC, which will be primary used for headphones. May I suggest you to wait and check out the Oppo HA-1 headphone amplifier which has 9018 ESS Sabre DAC chip, it will be launched this month (April 2014).

Many thanks Simon for your detailed response.

Generally just frustrated with Sony, in that they bring out the two devices in the UK UDA-1 and ZX1, but the Sony WMC-NWH10 is not available. So the best use cannot be used unless you've bought your device from Japan.

I'd like the PHA-2 but its not available yet in the UK.

I already have some expensive old missions that 'may' sound great with the DAC, but its expensive to try when all the other HiRes devices are showing up.

Its 5% off today, so I am dithering about whether to buy or hold out until Sony show their hand with the other HiRes devices, so I can choose the one that suits my needs.

I mainly listen via headphones and Squeezebox touch and dragonfly dac, but something that could do both and improve the Sony DA2400ES (don't laugh) sound that I have today, which I am sure it will do.

Apr 1, 2014 at 9:43 AM Post #89 of 401

Cheers
Simon T.

Hi Rod49,

From my understanding, there will be no problem in using the Sony WMC-NWH10 cable for the F886 to connect through the UDA-1 USB-B port as above mentioned.

:)

Thank you Simon, for that info. I might wait to see about the Oppo HA-1. ( Looks promising, reading on their website....) 

Apr 1, 2014 at 9:47 AM Post #90 of 401

Many thanks Simon for your detailed response.

Generally just frustrated with Sony, in that they bring out the two devices in the UK UDA-1 and ZX1, but the Sony WMC-NWH10 is not available. So the best use cannot be used unless you've bought your device from Japan.

I'd like the PHA-2 but its not available yet in the UK.

I already have some expensive old missions that 'may' sound great with the DAC, but its expensive to try when all the other HiRes devices are showing up.

Its 5% off today, so I am dithering about whether to buy or hold out until Sony show their hand with the other HiRes devices, so I can choose the one that suits my needs.

I mainly listen via headphones, but something that could do both and improve the Sony DA2400ES (don't laugh) sound that I have today, which I am sure it will do.

You are most welcome mannp,

I understand what you mean... unfortunately Sony play this kind of game in all countries, probably except the Japanese market.

Funny you mentioned about the PHA-2, I actually imported that from Japan together with the ZX1. But unfortunately out of all the inputs, the only one which was the reason I bought the PHA-2 i.e. the hi-res connection between the ZX1 to the PHA-2 through the "special" PHA-2 stock cable; did not work. I had to send it back to my Japanese friend and she is helping me to sort that out.

If I do not recall wrongly from my memory, I was very pleased with its capabilities. At that time, I did not have the LCD-3, so it was mainly driving my HD700 for a brief time; the music sounded more meaty. 

Well, the missions speakers are on my wishlist :),,, 

It is your call mannp, but, still I do have a feeling that the Oppo Digital HA-1 Headphone Amplifier can be a great affordable surprise. Suggest you to do some research starting from here: http://www.oppodigital.com/future/HA-1_Headphone_Amplifier.aspx    

Not laughing at all... Sony DA2400ES even if it is not the latest and the greatest, it does its job pretty well.

Nevertheless, good luck!!!

Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back