New Schiit! Ragnarok and Yggdrasil
Mar 4, 2014 at 8:19 PM Post #1,097 of 9,484
It likely won't directly support it, but will be possible to play those files via software resampling like JRiver. Remember Mike's big DSD thread in the Vendor Info sub-forum? Yeah Yggy won't be a DSD DAC, so any path that includes DSD resampling or anything of the sort will not be present. I think this is why people are expecting things like ladder DACs and similar as they are more old school and less delta-sigma-think.

Mar 4, 2014 at 9:05 PM Post #1,099 of 9,484
I'm not that excited about PS Audio's solution in particular, mostly because of the price, but I think the FPGA idea in general is a great way for DACs to go in the future.  It does shift the burden heavily towards good software and programming design, so there are certainly some new concerns and risks that come with it too, but having a bonafide computer processor as the core engine vastly increases the amount of horsepower available to do things like upconversion and sampling.  They could work in 64-bit if they wanted to.  I think the Zetex chip in the NAD M51 is sort of along these lines only not quite as ambitious, and it brought some great innovations like digital volume control with no bit truncation due to the 35-bit working resolution.

Mar 4, 2014 at 9:13 PM Post #1,100 of 9,484
The problem is going to be when FPGA is the buzzword of choice. It still will come down to implementation.
I guess we'll have to wait and see how Ted and team's algorithms play out. From the looks of it per DSD the
Lampizator is far more interesting, IMO.

But with software capabilities with DSD like in J River, DSD DACs and the noise it's too much.

Mar 4, 2014 at 9:23 PM Post #1,101 of 9,484
i wonder if the yggd will compete with the nad? it will be interesting to hear impressions

Mar 5, 2014 at 12:04 AM Post #1,103 of 9,484
  I'm from the future , in the year of 2020. I have urgent news to tell everyone , that the Ragnarock is yet to be released. 

Atleast spell it right... 
rolleyes.gif

Mar 5, 2014 at 12:04 AM Post #1,104 of 9,484
^ LOL

Ah, but which future are you from young Skywalker?

Mar 5, 2014 at 1:07 AM Post #1,105 of 9,484
  what do you mean by that? That it wont give good playback of DSD? 

Mike doesn't like DSD.  His logic is something like "The US doesn't use it when they precision bomb hospitals so why should we use it in our DACs?"  Little does he know Andreas Koch is working with the government and Sony to release a DSD compatible missile guidance system.  Unfortunately, it will only be compatible with a few obscure overpriced missiles from the 80's that no one really wants to use anyways.  

Mar 5, 2014 at 8:28 AM Post #1,106 of 9,484
  Mike doesn't like DSD.  His logic is something like "The US doesn't use it when they precision bomb hospitals so why should we use it in our DACs?"  Little does he know Andreas Koch is working with the government and Sony to release a DSD compatible missile guidance system.  Unfortunately, it will only be compatible with a few obscure overpriced missiles from the 80's that no one really wants to use anyways.  

what a controversial quote. 

Mar 5, 2014 at 11:53 AM Post #1,108 of 9,484
Schiit sells DSD component-

http://schiit.com/products/loki

Doesn't appear they are against it to me.

Mar 5, 2014 at 12:09 PM Post #1,109 of 9,484
Schiit sells DSD component-

http://schiit.com/products/loki

Doesn't appear they are against it to me.

They made the Loki so people would stop bugging/complaining that Schiit didn't have a DSD solution.  I'm pretty sure that Jason has already explained why they don't like it in a couple different threads.  I would be surprised to see it in the Yggdrasil.  

Mar 5, 2014 at 12:36 PM Post #1,110 of 9,484
I don't care about DSD really, all i care about is it sounding good. If it can compete with the WFS DAC2 and maybe the NAD M51 then i will be happy. 

PS audio just made the PWD MK2 2000 dollars so it will have to compete there as well. 

I really hope that it will be a contender against those DAC's because i like the company and their products look great. 
I would like to upgrade to YGGD i just hope people don't report back that its harsh and bright, i suppose lets just wait and see. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back