New Schiit! Ragnarok and Yggdrasil
Oct 9, 2013 at 2:34 AM Post #631 of 9,484
So, a tube Ragnarok, what are the good and bad things about it compared to the SS Ragnarok? Would the noise performance be anywhere near the SS? How would the tubes be used?

Oct 9, 2013 at 9:48 AM Post #635 of 9,484
So, a tube Ragnarok, what are the good and bad things about it compared to the SS Ragnarok? Would the noise performance be anywhere near the SS? How would the tubes be used?

All hypothetical at this stage as neither are released and the tube is not even confirmed to be released so direct comparisons would be impossible.

Oct 9, 2013 at 11:41 AM Post #636 of 9,484

All hypothetical at this stage as neither are released and the tube is not even confirmed to be released so direct comparisons would be impossible.

pretty much the typical Tube vs SS design at this point

Oct 10, 2013 at 7:49 AM Post #639 of 9,484
To be honest I can't see Schiit getting into sacd (dying platform), vinyl or cd transports. Since most of the laser transports mechanisms are made by Philips and Sony, they have to have a serious amount of cash flow for getting into making there own properly tuned laser mechanisms like the big boys do such as Teac Esoteric, Accuphase, Ayon etc. Especially since these are for a very small niche group as it is as they will be up against the big boys that have been in the market for so long.

I wouldn't want my DAC/amp company getting into other stuff besides DAC's and amps.

Oct 10, 2013 at 9:56 AM Post #640 of 9,484
  To be honest I can't see Schiit getting into sacd (dying platform), vinyl or cd transports. Since most of the laser transports mechanisms are made by Philips and Sony, they have to have a serious amount of cash flow for getting into making there own properly tuned laser mechanisms like the big boys do such as Teac Esoteric, Accuphase, Ayon etc. Especially since these are for a very small niche group as it is as they will be up against the big boys that have been in the market for so long.

I wouldn't want my DAC/amp company getting into other stuff besides DAC's and amps.

Yep, plus anyone can take an existing SACD/CD player and send an optical or coaxial out to a Bifrost or Gungnir, so why take on the huge burden of a transport.
If y'all are particularly concerned I'd suggest getting an Emotiva ERC-2 used or the new ERC-3 they'll be putting out (which is expected to play the stereo layers of SACDs, I think), or an NAD CD player.  I have an Oppo 103 I use for most of my media wrangling and it does great with CDs as well.

Oct 10, 2013 at 8:02 PM Post #642 of 9,484
Can jam? It's Christmas again!

Oct 10, 2013 at 8:58 PM Post #644 of 9,484
Bring on the hifi news! Seriously someone better be running to the Schiit booth as soon as the doors open.

What? That's just lazy. Someone needs to tackle Jason to the ground as soon as he shows up in the parking lot and demand to see all the new products. Live feed too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back