New Schiit! Ragnarok and Yggdrasil
Jan 16, 2015 at 7:35 PM Post #4,622 of 9,484
This is what happens to people when you leave them waiting for thei Yggy... :D

Jan 16, 2015 at 8:04 PM Post #4,623 of 9,484
Suddenly I have a urge to listen to " Battle Cry of the Valarkie" lol. The Ragnarok is so great, I have already started saving for the Yggdrasil, just to complete the chain.

Jan 16, 2015 at 8:13 PM Post #4,624 of 9,484
  The Schiit Primordial Cow Ice Lick. After the Fulla I think Primordial Cow Ice Lick is a real possibility.

PCIL Schiit?

Would that be a DILLy of a PCIL?

JJ  
atsmile.gif

Jan 16, 2015 at 9:34 PM Post #4,625 of 9,484
The PCIL is a mono block version of the Ragnar. 50 Watt Solid State each block, a headphone amp, one channel per block, each block with an on off switch in the back so you cannot get to it. No other switches or knobs.  Just input, output and a switch, that you cannot get to. Pure Schiit.

Jan 17, 2015 at 4:16 PM Post #4,628 of 9,484
I can't speak to the HDVA, but the Ragnarok is indeed very good - conditional on that mods are necessary to give the HD800 enough body IMO. The stock HD800 wouldn't be my cup of tea with the Ragnarok. The Rag is very neutral with just a slight warmth, and the output impedance is almost nothing, so you won't get a mid-bass bump. In other words, it's not an inherently euphonic combination. That said, the Ragnarok is extremely smooth, clean and resolving. 

Jan 18, 2015 at 10:35 AM Post #4,631 of 9,484
Oh dear - i fear we've raised expectations a little too high on this one  :wink:

Haha ok, maybe... I know it's still an hd800 :)

Right now, I have a lyr with a modded hd800, I really like it right now. I just want to make sure that it will be as involving, as fun. I would go for the BA, but it's twice the price of the rag and I cannot afford it :frowning2:. My other option is the hdva, I can ask the rep of sennheiser at my job for a loan to have an idea of what a good pairing with solid-state sounds like. Anyways, I think I will need to find a way to listen to the rag before committing.

Have a nice day!

Jan 18, 2015 at 2:48 PM Post #4,632 of 9,484
Oh dear - i fear we've raised expectations a little too high on this one  :wink:

Haha ok, maybe... I know it's still an hd800 :)

Right now, I have a lyr with a modded hd800, I really like it right now. I just want to make sure that it will be as involving, as fun. I would go for the BA, but it's twice the price of the rag and I cannot afford it :frowning2:. My other option is the hdva, I can ask the rep of sennheiser at my job for a loan to have an idea of what a good pairing with solid-state sounds like. Anyways, I think I will need to find a way to listen to the rag before committing.

Have a nice day!

At ~3300 used including good tubes the BA is one of those investments that you won't regret if you want a liquid, spacious sound.

If that's the sound you want, I'd PM CEE TEE if he'd part with his. He's been through rounds and rounds of rolling and his BA + the Yggy is the best HD800 rig I've heard so far.

Jan 18, 2015 at 4:17 PM Post #4,633 of 9,484
Jan 19, 2015 at 10:47 AM Post #4,634 of 9,484
At ~3300 used including good tubes the BA is one of those investments that you won't regret if you want a liquid, spacious sound.

If that's the sound you want, I'd PM CEE TEE if he'd part with his. He's been through rounds and rounds of rolling and his BA + the Yggy is the best HD800 rig I've heard so far.

Ok, thanks for the reply, the amp seems nice.  I'll buy the yggy in a few month as planned and i'll probably find a way to do a listening session with both. Sadly for my bank account, i think you're right and the BA is more suited to my taste. Is the wa22 anywhere near rag or BA in performance/involvement? Because i really liked the wa22 in a show.

Jan 19, 2015 at 9:57 PM Post #4,635 of 9,484

Ok, thanks for the reply, the amp seems nice.  I'll buy the yggy in a few month as planned and i'll probably find a way to do a listening session with both. Sadly for my bank account, i think you're right and the BA is more suited to my taste. Is the wa22 anywhere near rag or BA in performance/involvement? Because i really liked the wa22 in a show.

My secret shame on the pirate ship is that in 2010 I owned the WA22. I eventually made my way to the STAX camp and felt the KGSSHV + 007 MK1 was my endgame, much better even than the HD800 + WA22. Fast forward to 2012, before he and I were friends, I heard CEE TEEs BA + PWD and was BLOWN AWAY. During the feb 2013 meet it was cemented.

I haven't heard whatever the latest fully cracked out WA22 sounds like, but I don't see it bridging the gap to the better amps. 

If anyone is interested, I'd PM CEE TEE sooner rather than later. I've been trying to convince him to sell his BA since it sees no use :).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back