New Schiit! Ragnarok and Yggdrasil
Jun 12, 2014 at 4:56 PM Post #2,161 of 9,484
  Being Bit-perfect has nothing to do with whether the DAC is NOS (Multibit) or not, but rather, as Schiit themselves explain here, dependent on the Clocking Scheme employed:

I guess many people have their own idea of "bit-perfectness".

Thanks for clarification. We need more education on these topics.

Jun 12, 2014 at 5:22 PM Post #2,163 of 9,484

Being Bit-perfect has nothing to do with whether the DAC is NOS (Multibit) or not, but rather, as Schiit themselves explain here, dependent on the Clocking Scheme employed:

Advanced Bitperfect Clock Management

Most DACs in this price range sacrifice every single one of your original music samples to get their 192kHz spec. Every input is routed through a sample rate converter and upsampled to 24/192. Bifrost dispenses with the sample rate converter and uses a sophisticated master clock management system to deliver bit-perfect data to the DAC, preserving all the original samples--whether it's 16/44.1 or 24/192

Do not confuse Oversampling with Upsampling! The latter is optional, the former is NOT, at least in the case of Delta-Sigma Dacs.

But if you read further, you'll understand that sample rate/clock management is not the only part of the chain. See here:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/701900/schiit-happened-the-story-of-the-worlds-most-improbable-start-up/1320#post_10629122

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Jun 12, 2014 at 5:41 PM Post #2,164 of 9,484

But if you read further, you'll understand that sample rate/clock management is not the only part of the chain. See here:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/701900/schiit-happened-the-story-of-the-worlds-most-improbable-start-up/1320#post_10629122

Thank you for that Jason. It's always good to learn from the Real experts!
wink.gif

Jun 12, 2014 at 5:44 PM Post #2,165 of 9,484
  I hope you aren't claiming YOU'VE never had relations with a goat ... c'mon ... we are all just people here. How could any of us resist those doe eyes and the soft tongue?  PS. I should at least mention that the Ragnorok is huge ... so we start competing with "speaker amps" here, and mine are single ended 300b monoblocks - knowing Schiit, it will all work out - the real estate will be justified even if you don't use speakers ... but what about that goat, huh ?

Don't know so much about the goat, but that big red bulbous estrus protuberance on a baboon's ass just spins me right up.

Jun 12, 2014 at 6:23 PM Post #2,167 of 9,484
I chuckled a bit, but hat was a pretty gross image : P

And it's nice to see companies trying to do things this way, innovation really (even if it's "old" tech) also informs the community more:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/415361/24bit-vs-16bit-the-myth-exploded

Jun 12, 2014 at 6:47 PM Post #2,168 of 9,484
Is the Yggdrasil gonna have Wyrd technology built in? Seems like a good USB module could have that built in, no?

Jun 12, 2014 at 8:59 PM Post #2,170 of 9,484

NOS operation is fundamentally impossible with Delta-Sigma Dacs. They rely on massive Oversampling ratios in order to achieve practical resolution, be it 18, 20 or even 24 bit. Without it, they would have essentially no resolution, specially so in the case of pure 1-bit Dacs, although these are no longer produced or employed, and for good reason!

Not nobody. The direct stream dac using a single bit converter, and i believe the meitner/emm labs stuff does as well?

Jun 12, 2014 at 9:38 PM Post #2,171 of 9,484
As a follow-up on the continuing saga of lobbying for an HDMI formatted LVDS I2S balanced signal input to be included on the Yggy, by way of illustrating the increasing market for an open standard I2S format, the following audio companies offer products with HDMI standard pinout LVDS I2S I/O:

PS Audio
Audio-gd
Rockna Audio
Wired4Sound
Wadia
Stahl~Tek
K&K/Raleigh Audio
Mojo Audio
Sonore
Empirical Audio
CI Audio
Audiobyte
Pink Faun
Odyssey Audio
Gustard
Audiophonics
Aune
tanlyAudio

There's probably others as well, but those I've confirmed.

Esoteric offers a new dedicated LVDS I2S terminal using dual HDMI connectors (ES-Link 4) on their Grandioso P1 transport product, but I'm not sure what kind of signal distribution that implies.

Jun 12, 2014 at 9:56 PM Post #2,172 of 9,484
  But seriously, back to Ragnarok--we're assembling the first 10 now. I expect ordering will be open at the end of the month.

And Yggdrasil I expect we'll have at the August 9 SoCal meet, in roughly the same condition as Ragnarok was at TheShow Newport (that is, looking and acting like a product, ready for shipping shortly thereafter.)

The hardest thing about these products is really explaining how different they are. Talking to the press at Newport, it took a while for it to sink in how truly, insanely crazy Ragarok is--not in terms of power, but in terms of its control system, volume control, etc. We'll have to sneak a few out for reviews, because people really don't understand it until they use it. 

(Jude's Ragnarok is going back shortly--probably tomorrow.)

Yggy's the same way. We have quite a few people who don't really understand the significance of a truly bitperfect digital filter--this is arguably more important than the multibit/R2R side of things. Well, not really, because you can't have a true bitperfect DAC without both of those things--nor can you have it without bitperfect clock/sample rate/bit depth management (rather than ASRC).

This is what Mike has really been working towards on the DAC side--a truly bitperfect DAC, from input to output, without having to go non-oversampling (NOS.) 

Jude's Ragnarok is going back to him, or leaving him to go back to you guys?  Because I'd love to petition both you and him to let it appear at the upcoming Chicago meet that he has said he will be attending.  

Jun 12, 2014 at 9:58 PM Post #2,173 of 9,484
It's going back to him--hopefully he will have it at the show, but I'll make sure he has it before the show. His decision on whether to bring it, though...it's HUGE.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Jun 12, 2014 at 10:05 PM Post #2,174 of 9,484
And I have a HUGE empty space on my shelves that needs filling! :wink:

Jun 12, 2014 at 10:52 PM Post #2,175 of 9,484

NOS operation is fundamentally impossible with Delta-Sigma Dacs. They rely on massive Oversampling ratios in order to achieve practical resolution, be it 18, 20 or even 24 bit. Without it, they would have essentially no resolution, specially so in the case of pure 1-bit Dacs, although these are no longer produced or employed, and for good reason!

Not nobody. The direct stream dac using a single bit converter, and i believe the meitner/emm labs stuff does as well?

You may be correct, but the sole reason for its usage is SACD (DSD). Outside of such applications, pure 1-bit Dacs are essentially defunct...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back