NEW Schiit Lyr 2: Impressions
Mar 21, 2015 at 12:31 PM Post #886 of 2,168
  +1! always better to invest your budget into one really nice pair of headphones over a bunch of less expensive headphones (assuming that the headphone you picked have good performance for their value). you only have one head & one pair of ears afterall!!!!

That's what I'm telling myself when I order the HiFiMan HE-1000.

Ha ha! Maybe some 'mods' for the PS Audio - or a different USB interface and USB cable or....

It never ends. Always something new, better, and more $.

Mar 21, 2015 at 12:43 PM Post #887 of 2,168
It's time to create the church of the audiophile, and all audio buys would be tax free:D. I will love to fork over 3 grand for an HE1000, but will hate to pay the tax on it.

Mar 21, 2015 at 2:42 PM Post #892 of 2,168
I can't decide between the two. I read Lyr 2 had background noise problem and the WA6 doesn't.

The Lyr 2 has no significant back ground noise unless your tubes are bad, or using sensitive IEMs.
Flip the Gain switch to low also works well.

Mar 21, 2015 at 2:54 PM Post #894 of 2,168
I can't decide between the two. I read Lyr 2 had background noise problem and the WA6 doesn't.

The Lyr 2 has no significant back ground noise unless your tubes are bad, or using sensitive IEMs.
Flip the Gain switch to low also works well.

This is true. though the Lyr 2 is quite sensitive and you can also experience background noise problems with ground loops. usually an easy to fix though.

Mar 21, 2015 at 4:35 PM Post #895 of 2,168

I had a WA6-SE spent a yr tube rolling it - fully NOS tubed (including the 5U4G Rec - Mullard black base '50s).  Sounded great - if a bit polite.  After reading this 6moons review on the Lyr decided to try it - way more exciting!  If a bit rough around the edges with stock tube.  That began a yr long tube rolling expedition - hit on the Russian 6n23p's the '75s.  That was it - the Woo was sold shortly after.

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/schiit/9.html
Best quote (and this is from a reviewer with a stable of totl HPs, and who has heard most of the best HP amps)

Clearly the core target audience are headfiers. Those who also run speaker systems are well advised to give the Lyr a go. But I'd not recommend that preamp buyers pursue the Lyr as primary target. Its illustrious headphone performance only diminishes in that application. To equal it as a preamp takes longer green. And to jump ahead, to exceed it as pure valve headphone amp could take $4,000 for an Eddie Current Balancing Act or fully tricked out Woo Audio Model 5.

The WA6-SE is a pretty big step-up over the WA6.
http://wooaudio.com/docs/wooaudio_amplifier_comparisons.pdf

The Lyr needs good tubes and a excellent source to show what it's capable of.  The Lyr 2 is quieter do to some changes in the tube heater and PS.

Don't miss the Woo a bit.

Mar 21, 2015 at 5:16 PM Post #896 of 2,168

I had a WA6-SE spent a yr tube rolling it - fully NOS tubed (including the 5U4G Rec - Mullard black base '50s).  Sounded great - if a bit polite.  After reading this 6moons review on the Lyr decided to try it - way more exciting!  If a bit rough around the edges with stock tube.  That began a yr long tube rolling expedition - hit on the Russian 6n23p's the '75s.  That was it - the Woo was sold shortly after.

Best quote (and this is from a reviewer with a stable of totl HPs, and who has heard most of the best HP amps)

The WA6-SE is a pretty big step-up over the WA6.
http://wooaudio.com/docs/wooaudio_amplifier_comparisons.pdf

The Lyr needs good tubes and a excellent source to show what it's capable of.  The Lyr 2 is quieter do to some changes in the tube heater and PS.

Don't miss the Woo a bit.

Thanks for your input.

Did the Woo run cooler than Lyr 2. I live in a warm area.

Mar 21, 2015 at 6:43 PM Post #897 of 2,168
  Thanks for your input.

Did the Woo run cooler than Lyr 2. I live in a warm area.

Well not really as you have two driver/power tubes and the big rectifier.  Both a bit on the warm side.  The Lyr is theoretically more reliable as you have SS output devices.  Pre-amp signal tubes like in the Lyr tend to last longer then driver/power tubes

Mar 21, 2015 at 7:23 PM Post #898 of 2,168

Clearly the core target audience are headfiers. Those who also run speaker systems are well advised to give the Lyr a go. But I'd not recommend that preamp buyers pursue the Lyr as primary target. Its illustrious headphone performance only diminishes in that application. To equal it as a preamp takes longer green. And to jump ahead, to exceed it as pure valve headphone amp could take $4,000 for an Eddie Current Balancing Act or fully tricked out Woo Audio Model 5.

I'd read that review, as well, and I'm still curious about the Lyr2 as a preamp. Even though I just picked up the Lyr2, I haven't yet hooked it up as a  preamp. To those who have, I've got 2 questions:

1. Do your findings match the reviewer's? In other words, is there any reason Lyr2 wouldn't make a nice preamp? 

2. Would tube rolling improve the sound as a preamp the same way it does as for the headphone amp? 

Really loving my Lyr2, by the way, but I'm going to try and avoid tube rolling as long as possible. We'll see how that goes.

Mar 21, 2015 at 7:27 PM Post #899 of 2,168
I am curious- how many have compared the Lyr or Lyr2 to the Hybrid HiFiman Head Phone Amps? I think this Schiit is sounding really fine-but I don't have any of the competitors at home to test. I've tested in various stores-but not with the Lyr with me.

My feeling is this is competitive with some higher end-or certainly much pricier amps. Am I right? It certainly has made my HiFimam HE-560 stand up and dance! :)

Mar 22, 2015 at 5:01 PM Post #900 of 2,168
Has anyone else tried the he560 and the lyr amp? I keep getting that nagging feeling that the he560 has the potential for better than what I'm getting out of it. I have some decent tubes and my dac isn't terrible so that probably isn't it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back