NEW - Schiit Asgard 2
Feb 5, 2014 at 5:28 PM Post #1,171 of 2,741
Anodization does fade after a while, though, and it looks bad when it does. I'm very happy with the current finishes.

Feb 5, 2014 at 6:22 PM Post #1,173 of 2,741

Well, that may be true if you plan on keeping your amp outdoors.  Generally speaking however, organic dyes are well suited to indoor applications and have enjoyed such use for over 50 years.

Ehh. I've seen quality anodization go bad under a roof after a couple of years. My point being that I'm sure Schiit takes this stuff into consideration when developing a product.

Feb 5, 2014 at 6:24 PM Post #1,174 of 2,741

Well, that may be true if you plan on keeping your amp outdoors.  Generally speaking however, organic dyes are well suited to indoor applications and have enjoyed such use for over 50 years.

Ehh. I've seen quality anodization go bad under a roof after a couple of years. My point being that I'm sure Schiit takes this stuff into consideration when developing a product.

Looks like getting some taggers from Brooklyn to decorate is the only remaining stylistic option. Add a big bass boost switch and call it the Dr. Dre. Schitt Edition.

Feb 5, 2014 at 6:34 PM Post #1,175 of 2,741
Looks like getting some taggers from Brooklyn to decorate is the only remaining stylistic option. Add a big bass boost switch and call it the Dr. Dre. Schitt Edition.

Oooooh! Can it come in dark brown?!!

Feb 5, 2014 at 6:37 PM Post #1,176 of 2,741

Oooooh! Can it come in dark brown?!!

You got the can of dark brown spray paint? Call it Brown Schiit. 
biggrin.gif

I think that I just might decide to keep the stock finish.

Feb 5, 2014 at 6:51 PM Post #1,177 of 2,741

You got the can of dark brown spray paint? Call it Brown Schiit. 
biggrin.gif

I think that I just might decide to keep the stock finish.

Oh wow! I totally want brown Schiit now!

Feb 5, 2014 at 6:54 PM Post #1,178 of 2,741
Feb 5, 2014 at 7:09 PM Post #1,179 of 2,741

I don't doubt they take a lot of things into consideration but, it's very common for manufacturers to black anodize consumer devices.  So, most likely it comes down to a question of cost.  The truth is that is does cost more to black anodize than clear.  So I probably have to concede to their point regarding cost.  Personally, I haven't seen any issues with any of my other A/V equipment which was black anodized from the factory as far as fading goes.  There are many factors involved the light-fastness such as what dye is used, the amount of dye in the anodic layer, how it's sealed, etc.

Feb 5, 2014 at 8:17 PM Post #1,180 of 2,741
Quote:

I don't doubt they take a lot of things into consideration but, it's very common for manufacturers to black anodize consumer devices.  So, most likely it comes down to a question of cost.  The truth is that is does cost more to black anodize than clear.  So I probably have to concede to their point regarding cost.  Personally, I haven't seen any issues with any of my other A/V equipment which was black anodized from the factory as far as fading goes.  There are many factors involved the light-fastness such as what dye is used, the amount of dye in the anodic layer, how it's sealed, etc.

Yea that was just a silly comment. Pretty much all black aluminum audio products are anodized without any issues. Its pretty much the only way to keep the grained aluminum look with a color. Ive never had any of my black anodized products change in any way.

Feb 6, 2014 at 3:20 AM Post #1,181 of 2,741
  Quote:

Yea that was just a silly comment. Pretty much all black aluminum audio products are anodized without any issues. Its pretty much the only way to keep the grained aluminum look with a color. Ive never had any of my black anodized products change in any way.

Not a silly comment if it's true. Besides, all of it looks better in silver anyway. It's also a branding technique. All of their product share a unique and cohesive design. You know you're looking at a Schiit product right away at this point. Colors? It sounds gimmicky and it would most certain would throw some inconsistency into their distinct brand.

Feb 6, 2014 at 3:26 AM Post #1,182 of 2,741
  Not a silly comment if it's true. Besides, all of it looks better in silver anyway. It's also a branding technique. All of their product share a unique and cohesive design. You know you're looking at a Schiit product right away at this point. Colors? It sounds gimmicky and it would most certain would throw some inconsistency into their distinct brand.

It's not true so I guess that makes it silly.  
beyersmile.png
  I don't see how it's a branding technique since there are other manufacturers that stick with all silver, some a mix of black and silver, or some all black.  It's not like silver is so unique or anything.  BTW, black is not a color and I certainly wouldn't call it gimmicky.  

Feb 6, 2014 at 3:28 AM Post #1,183 of 2,741
It's not true so I guess that makes it silly.  
beyersmile.png
  I don't see how it's a branding technique since there are other manufacturers that stick with all silver, some a mix of black and silver, or some all black.  It's not like silver is so unique or anything.  BTW, black is not a color and I certainly wouldn't call it gimmicky.  

If you don't see it, I guess you don't see it.

Feb 6, 2014 at 11:54 AM Post #1,185 of 2,741
Meh, to each their own. We all see and hear things differently, but for me, I believe all electronics should be black in color and thats the why I buy. Or other cases mod to be so. I have owned and currently own quite a bit more electronics than most people and since I was a kid I have always preferred black electronics. So for me, its a normality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back