New Portable Amp/Dac: iBasso D1 **with updates on the first page**
Sep 20, 2007 at 3:22 AM Post #1,246 of 2,626
Quote:

Originally Posted by zer010gic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am currently running the OPA2111 in the LR. I have some LM4562 would they sound much better then stock buffers? Also do they produce more output then stock or less?

IMHO, the LM4562 sounds more accurate and lifelike than the 5532. The 5532 outputs about 38ma, whereas the 4562 provides approx. 26 ma. It is, however, capable of driving any dynamic headphone to a harmful level.

In comparison to the above output currents, the AD8397 used as a buffer is capable of over 300ma. It has a sound signature similar to the 4562 except its sound is bit more forward. The choice between the 4562 and 8397 is a matter of personal preference.

Sep 20, 2007 at 3:41 AM Post #1,247 of 2,626
i noticed on ibasso web, D1 is sold out, anyone knows when they're in stock again? btw do anyone know if optical out in D1 produce better SQ than USB out, because my SC got optical connection

Sep 20, 2007 at 4:01 AM Post #1,248 of 2,626
I got some more optical cables today from Sysconcept in Canada. I can't belive it only took about 4 days to get here. Anyway two are mini to mini and toslink to mini with an optical section about 1 inch and two mini to mini and mini to toslink with an optical section about 2 1 1/4 inches or 12mm and about 25mm. They are nice. The smallest has the outer insulation stripped off so it can make the tight bend, which would allow it to be used with an iRiver on top of the D1 and the shortest optical connection possible. I don't think anyone else in the industry would take the time and care to do this. They are expertly made and look great.

Sep 20, 2007 at 4:10 AM Post #1,249 of 2,626
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bozz_Keren /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i noticed on ibasso web, D1 is sold out, anyone knows when they're in stock again? btw do anyone know if optical out in D1 produce better SQ than USB out, because my SC got optical connection

i dont really trust on optical from soundcard

let me make it clear, i have been done AB test for optical and USB test for my Zhaolu D2C

this test is being auditioned by 3 guys in my local forum.

first, we connect ZL thru USB spdif converter, which is my home setup, and it sound really sweet for my home speaker AEGO M, since my friend bring me a EMU1212 for play, so i install it to the computer, use the optical out to Zhaolu D2, and wat we get, less details,less on every aspect of SQ, and it come to a conclusion that soundcard optical out doesnt really sound as good as pure sources transferring(such as USB).

if i were to rate it, i will say soundcard Optical 35% while Zhaolu having 85%...it is really very big differences on SQ...

so from this i have come to another question.
iriver H120>D1>headphone
USB>D1>headphone

with same songs being compared, which one sound better?
i dont have the chances to test it yet but i felt Iriver should sound better as pure on sources..

correct me if i m wrong..

yuheng
etysmile.gif

Sep 20, 2007 at 4:14 AM Post #1,250 of 2,626
Interesting. I prefer optical to USB. USB to me sounds artificial and mechanical. I am using an optical out of a Sony portable to either my Monica II or to the D1. I don't like the usb out of my PowerBook G4. I hear detail on optical like parting of lips, breathing, tiny teeny sounds in crowds of liver performances and so on and so forth.

Sep 20, 2007 at 4:22 AM Post #1,251 of 2,626
What I don't like about my modified D1 with all the Black Gates and different opamps:

It is getting to close to being as good or bettering my Monica II and if it does this I will be upset because, well, I really care a lot for Monica and I do not want to incur her, I mean the dac, well ok, her wrath.

Sep 20, 2007 at 4:38 AM Post #1,252 of 2,626
heck, its better if i test them both with optical and USB, now i'm waiting in vain for D1 to avail again..
frown.gif

Sep 20, 2007 at 4:47 AM Post #1,253 of 2,626
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Interesting. I prefer optical to USB. USB to me sounds artificial and mechanical. I am using an optical out of a Sony portable to either my Monica II or to the D1. I don't like the usb out of my PowerBook G4. I hear detail on optical like parting of lips, breathing, tiny teeny sounds in crowds of liver performances and so on and so forth.

that come to my point, i assume the cleaner the sources it sound, the better the sound.

so i would rate that
Iriver optical>USB> sound card optical..

jz based on my AB test, i felt that soundcard(EMU1212) optical destroy the details due to complex on connection.

etysmile.gif

Sep 20, 2007 at 7:14 AM Post #1,254 of 2,626
Quote:

...I hear detail on optical like parting of lips, breathing, tiny teeny sounds in crowds of liver performances and so on and so forth.

The only liver performance that I've heard of was the scene in Monty Python's Meaning of Life, "Sir, we've come for your liver..."

I could hear the screams equally well via optical or USB input.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Sep 20, 2007 at 7:19 AM Post #1,255 of 2,626
How did I come up with "liver"? :^) Ok, Johnny, time to go to bed. See you guys tomorrow.

Sep 20, 2007 at 9:03 AM Post #1,257 of 2,626
Quote:

Optical is much more dependent on the source because the master clock resides there. USB is independent because the master clock resides in the external DAC, but because most DAC chips operate with SPDIF, the USB signal is first converted to SPDIF where jitter is introduced. This could account for the artificiality you are hearing. Maybe you want to try a USB Monica - it might be an even better Monica!

It is interesting that Skylab's review was made only with USB and analog inputs. I suspect that his impressions would have been even more pronounced if he had reviewed the D1 with optical input.

Sep 20, 2007 at 10:26 AM Post #1,258 of 2,626
Quote:

I got some more optical cables today from Sysconcept in Canada. I can't belive it only took about 4 days to get here. Anyway two are mini to mini and toslink to mini with an optical section about 1 inch and two mini to mini and mini to toslink with an optical section about 2 1 1/4 inches or 12mm and about 25mm. They are nice. The smallest has the outer insulation stripped off so it can make the tight bend, which would allow it to be used with an iRiver on top of the D1 and the shortest optical connection possible. I don't think anyone else in the industry would take the time and care to do this. They are expertly made and look great.

That's my D1 just getting shipped to me, so a quick
icon10.gif
is necessary.

Going to order the cables I need from Sysconcept... but I'm not actually sure which ones I'll need.

Will be using my H-140 as a source... what would you recommend? Definitely want it so it's the shortest connection possible between the iRiver and the D1.

Was thinking perhaps of going for a toslink-to-toslink and getting 2 toslink-to-mini adaptors for flexibility sake.

Sep 20, 2007 at 10:38 AM Post #1,259 of 2,626
It comes with a toslink-toslink unless you went for the no accessories pack. So you may be better going for a mini-toslink of the right size for portable use between h120/140 and D1 and then getting the adaptor aswell so that you have a backup that can be used with the supplied cable (its a lot longer than needed)

Quoted once again from somewhere deep down in this thread:

the MiniPlug to Toslink cable will be 15.5cm
long. This will give you comfortable (without strain) "U" shape bend radius
and connectors will be parallel to each other

Sep 20, 2007 at 10:48 AM Post #1,260 of 2,626
I just received mine. Took about 5-6 days to Israel which is SUPER fast. So all of you who's waiting, you can hold your breath for it.

Since my H120 is waiting for the optical cable purchased at the suggested Canadian company, I used it with my computer via USB, and the first question was what is better, the USB or optical for digital connection. and just when I've decided to post someone else did this for me.
I'll try to distinct the two from my onboard lousy sound card, so it should be fairly obvious if the sound does differ.
This would have consequences if driving my HD595 from the iRiver using the D1 via optical will have downgrade affect in SQ.
I realy don't know about what clock or frequencies the H120 uses sending the digital sound out but I'll found out from the Rockbox community.

I'm not going to try any modification soon with my iBasso cause honestly this is my first DAC/amp and I realy don't think my HD595 will benefit as well as higher quality phones.

I know it's too soon to say this as I've heard the sound should be getting better, ALOT better but I LOVE my new iBasso D1 !

Thanks for the info you guys for helping me make the right decision.

MoAv

Users who are viewing this thread

Back