New Portable Amp/Dac: iBasso D1 **with updates on the first page**
Sep 19, 2007 at 12:34 AM Post #1,231 of 2,626
Ron you are very correct and some traces lift right off on even quality boards and that can be such a pain but the pcb has taken a lot of heat with no ill consequences, much to my relief but who wants to lift a trace and then have to use a small piece of wire, etc. . so drilling out would be a good option.

Oh the sound is improving. My HD650's sound much better being more open and cleaner than before. They are really driven well but even the stock D1 drives them well but the sound now cascades down and around when playing Dire Straits (the bass is very solid and attack is very fast). Max volume with the 650's is around 1 oclock. The PROline 750's around 11 oclock.

Sep 19, 2007 at 2:32 AM Post #1,232 of 2,626
I have found another opamp that sounds superb in the D1. It is the ADA4841-2 by Analog. This opamp is ultra low-noise, with great imaging and soundstage. Bass is deep and accurate while tonal balance is excellent throughout the entire audible range.

I like it well enough that I ordered a supply of them to mount on adapters.

The 3 opamps that I think do the D1 most justice are the OPA2111, AD8066 and the ADA4841-2. I think any of these will please the most critical ear.

Sep 19, 2007 at 11:47 AM Post #1,233 of 2,626
Quote:

Originally Posted by HiFlight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The 3 opamps that I think do the D1 most justice are the OPA2111, AD8066 and the ADA4841-2. I think any of these will please the most critical ear.

Can you list the differences and the strength's and weaknesses of the three?

Sep 19, 2007 at 6:07 PM Post #1,235 of 2,626
OPA2111: Very wide and expansive soundstage, very dimensional.
AD8066: Strong bass, good mids, good soundstage depth.
ADA4841-2: Well balanced throughout the spectrum, sweet highs.

They all work very well with both buffers, just a matter of individual taste. The differences are relatively small, with subtle tonal and soundstage variations. The 8397 is slightly more assertive, the 4562 somewhat more intimate.

These should not be considered as the only opamps that sound good in the D1. They are simply my personal ranking. There are many others I have tried that also sound very good.

For those interested in experimenting with different opamps other than those listed above, I would encourage ordering a modest assortment of opamps directly from a distributor and determining ones own individual preferences.

It is very difficult to try to express verbally the subtle differences in SQ between several different opamps. What I hear and describe may be totally different than what someone else perceives.

I can positively state that the improvements in both the DAC and amp sections of the D1 after modifications from stock are very apparent, even to the casual listener; furthermore, these improvements are apparent regardless of which phones I am using.

I should point out that as one improves the sonic quality and accuracy of any amp, it becomes less tolerant of poor source material or components!

Sep 19, 2007 at 6:35 PM Post #1,236 of 2,626
With regards to the 4562 and AD8397 I came to the same conclusion and I enjoy both of them.

Since modifying the D1 with Black Gates, and the settling/forming of these caps (I used some caps that had already been in a circuit so the forming of these Black Gates thankfully had already pretty much been done) the amp has taken on a very high end musical sound that I can not believe. I am glad that it is as big as it is so that I have room for the Black Gates and that there is room to change opamps and that it has a design that appears to be very good or the sound would not be at the level it is no matter what I do.

Edit: the D1 has taken on a nice 3D presentation with very good spatial information and transparency.

Sep 19, 2007 at 9:10 PM Post #1,237 of 2,626
So would this work then as 100% plug and play replacements? Anything I'm missing here?

1 x OPA2111 - Opamp for Amp.
$12.83 @ Digi-Key. Not in stock, but min. order only 1.
$12.86 @ Newark, in stock.

1 x AD8656 - Opamp for DAC (looks like no DIP version available?)

2 x LM4562 - Buffer
$5.38 ea. @ Digi-Key, in stock.
$5.99 ea. @ Newark but none in stock.

Also, how easy is "plug and play" in this case? Can I just use my fingers? Or some tweazers or a small wire cutting tool?

Sep 19, 2007 at 9:36 PM Post #1,239 of 2,626
Quote:

Originally Posted by tracyrick /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So would this work then as 100% plug and play replacements? Anything I'm missing here?

1 x OPA2111 - Opamp for Amp
1 x AD8656 - Opamp for DAC (looks like no DIP version available?)
2 x LM4562 - Buffer

Also, how easy is "plug and play" in this case? Can I just use my fingers? Or some tweazers or a small wire cutting tool?

A U shaped DIP puller from old computer memory chips/nvram, etc works best. A small flat bladed screwdriver works well too (those cheap $1.00 ones in PC repair kits long flat blade, plastic cylinder for handle, short phillips head on the other end). Just try to work all pins out of the socket at the same rate--don't angle the DIP up to free the left pins then work out the right pins. Try keeping the DIP parallel to the PCB as best you can.

Sep 19, 2007 at 10:08 PM Post #1,240 of 2,626
If you are in the US and near a Radio Shack just go down buy a coupld of cheap sockets for the opamps and buy any inexpensive dip opamp and practice with it. I use needle nose pliers and take my time so as to bend the pins very much.

Edit: Correction for those who complained: I use needle nose pliers and take my time so as to bend, I mean not bend the pins very much. :^)

Sep 19, 2007 at 11:50 PM Post #1,242 of 2,626
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...I use needle nose pliers and take my time so as to bend the pins very much.

Why would you want to bend the pins a lot? If you want to bend the pins, you don't need pliers to screw those up!
very_evil_smiley.gif

PS: we know what you "meant" to say, I think
redface.gif

Sep 20, 2007 at 1:05 AM Post #1,243 of 2,626
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why would you want to bend the pins a lot? If you want to bend the pins, you don't need pliers to screw those up!
very_evil_smiley.gif

PS: we know what you "meant" to say, I think
redface.gif

Ha, I caught that too.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 20, 2007 at 2:51 AM Post #1,245 of 2,626
Quote:

Originally Posted by zer010gic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
would they sound much better then stock buffers?

Only YOUR ears can tell you what sounds best. If we all like the same thing there would be only one headphone to rule them all...

My advice: you all ready have it, so put it in and experiment to see what sounds best to YOUR ears.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back