New Portable Amp/Dac: iBasso D1 **with updates on the first page**
Aug 29, 2007 at 7:18 AM Post #691 of 2,626
Yes it is!!!!
You tend to get more attentive than you should be
lambda.gif

For my taste (and I own both), the stock move is better than the stock D1, and if I had to give one up, that would be the D1. This said, I am quite excited to try the 8066 in it and see if they get closer...

It is clear that we're in a space where personal tastes come into play quite heavily and where the sound signatures are becoming important.

So maybe it'd be better to say that I prefer the Move's sound signature... Integrated, smoother and less harch on the highs and slightly less punchy/muddy on the bass.

Aug 29, 2007 at 9:35 AM Post #693 of 2,626
Quote:

Originally Posted by bonkon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Souperman, here one more choice to confuse even more.
confused.gif
Which one to get?
wink.gif

What do you guys think of this amp/dac based on the specs? It certainly is cheaper and smaller than the move or D1.

Sizewise it's really nice.

And since we talk about size:
Earlier that day I did a comparison between the size of the D1, the Move, the Hornet and the Tomahawk to get a feeling for the different sizes:

You can choose different views here:
http://www.sizeasy.com/page/size_com...s-RSA-Tomahawk
(A very cool site actually. You can compare your own items and even add everyday things like a deck of cards)

I wasn't aware before, that the D1 is that big. It's ok as a transportable, but the Move is already as big as i want a real portable amp to be. (But not to forget the optical/coaxial ins on the D1)

(PS: I made a new one which includes the UHA-3 as well. Really small for a portable with USB-DAC
eggosmile.gif

http://www.sizeasy.com/page/size_com...s-RSA-Tomahawk)

Aug 29, 2007 at 12:03 PM Post #695 of 2,626
Quote:

Originally Posted by rhymesgalore /img/forum/go_quote.gif
(PS: I made a new one which includes the UHA-3 as well. Really small for a portable with USB-DAC
eggosmile.gif

http://www.sizeasy.com/page/size_com...s-RSA-Tomahawk)

If you want small you guys should be checking out some of the latest meet impression threads, Justin from HeadAmp has been taking his prototype Pico USB DAC/Amp combo around. It's as small or smaller than a Tomahawk and from some experienced members impressions, performance approaching the likes of the Apogee Mini-Dac.

Aug 29, 2007 at 12:53 PM Post #696 of 2,626
Quote:

Originally Posted by elnero /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you want small you guys should be checking out some of the latest meet impression threads, Justin from HeadAmp has been taking his prototype Pico USB DAC/Amp combo around. It's as small or smaller than a Tomahawk and from some experienced members impressions, performance approaching the likes of the Apogee Mini-Dac.

You're not kidding. That thing is tiny! I am definitely looking forward for its release.

Aug 29, 2007 at 1:01 PM Post #697 of 2,626
Quote:

Originally Posted by elnero /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Yes, I wonder how long we'll have to wait for that? Although it will be twice the price of the D1 and it won't have optical or Spdif inputs.

Aug 29, 2007 at 1:09 PM Post #699 of 2,626
Quote:

Originally Posted by DennyL /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, I wonder how long we'll have to wait for that? Although it will be twice the price of the D1 and it won't have optical or Spdif inputs.

Estimated release is fall, I'm expecting in about a month or two.

There is talk of a larger version planned for release later. From my understanding it will be essentially the same DAC/Amp as the Pico but more the size and functionality of the AE-2, the DAC section will be battery powered with USB and Coax and/or Optical inputs. I have no idea on pricing though.

Aug 29, 2007 at 1:51 PM Post #701 of 2,626
Quote:

Originally Posted by souperman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wish more people could try this out and give their opinion. Ron, could you go into more detail on what you think the D1 out does the MOVE?

It is my feeling that the soundfield is much more 3-dimensional as rendered from the D1 with the OPA2111/AD8397 combo compared to the Move.

As each channel can output well over 300ma (max) there is headroom to spare, and the output seems effortless, regardless of which phones I am using.

I prefer a soundfield that is in front of me, as I do not sit in the middle of the orchestra when attending a live performance. Some prefer a more enveloping and surrounding soundfield.

I do not maintain that this is the ultimate opamp/buffer configuration (or amp!) for everyone. It is, all things considered, my preference so far. YMMV!!!!

Aug 29, 2007 at 2:17 PM Post #702 of 2,626
Got mine today too.
rs1smile.gif

I have noticed the on off thump
blink.gif
too and probably same hiss when the iPod video dock line out is plugged in with the playback paused and the volume knob turned pass 1 o'clock.

Aug 29, 2007 at 2:26 PM Post #703 of 2,626
I got my D1 last night. I get a big POP when the power is turned on, even if volume is all the way down.

Has your charge light turned green yet? Mine was plugged in, turned on all night and I've still got the orange-red blinking... The blue light in front seems to randomly turn on and off too.

Aug 29, 2007 at 3:59 PM Post #704 of 2,626
Quote:

Originally Posted by HiFlight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It is my feeling that the soundfield is much more 3-dimensional as rendered from the D1 with the OPA2111/AD8397 combo compared to the Move.

As each channel can output well over 300ma (max) there is headroom to spare, and the output seems effortless, regardless of which phones I am using.

I prefer a soundfield that is in front of me, as I do not sit in the middle of the orchestra when attending a live performance. Some prefer a more enveloping and surrounding soundfield.

I do not maintain that this is the ultimate opamp/buffer configuration (or amp!) for everyone. It is, all things considered, my preference so far. YMMV!!!!

What about the bass and mids? Does it have more impact as usual, but less muddy?

Aug 29, 2007 at 5:07 PM Post #705 of 2,626
The D1 does have a thump when turned on. iBasso stated that due to the way the unit uses the fron aux input as a multiple type that there wasn't a way around it. I don't find it to be a problem but not always fun for the ears but I normally don't have the headphone/IEM's on when turning it on and off. As far as hiss, the volume would be so loud that I couldn't listen to it so I don't see the point but I can barely hear any on mine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back