New Portable Amp/Dac: iBasso D1 **with updates on the first page**
Aug 29, 2007 at 1:48 AM Post #676 of 2,626
You don't have to change the 5532's just the 8066. If you want to you can change the two output buffers or not. I don't think there is a huge difference in changing the 8066 but for me, it is in the right direction.

Aug 29, 2007 at 1:52 AM Post #677 of 2,626
Ok sounds good. Thanks a lot...

Wrong use of the word significant in my post... I wanted to know whether the buffers/opamp combo change would lead to a bigger SQ change than just the opamp change by itself... I am NOT expecting a radical SQ change by rolling, just enough to sweeten the highs, clarify the bass and provide a better sound fluidity. As you say, a move in the right direction rather than a revolution.

I really appreciate your help on this. Thanks a lot.

Aug 29, 2007 at 2:45 AM Post #678 of 2,626
I just found that DIP-socket mounted AD8397 actually came as stock opamps with my SuperMini. Can somebody post the pic of the AD8397 in D1 or explain how to figure out in which orientations they are supposed to go in? Is the dot on the NE5532 buffer on the pic above represent pin 1?

Aug 29, 2007 at 2:49 AM Post #679 of 2,626
Quote:

Originally Posted by globiboulga /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ok sounds good. Thanks a lot...

Wrong use of the word significant in my post... I wanted to know whether the buffers/opamp combo change would lead to a bigger SQ change than just the opamp change by itself... I am NOT expecting a radical SQ change by rolling, just enough to sweeten the highs, clarify the bass and provide a better sound fluidity. As you say, a move in the right direction rather than a revolution.

I really appreciate your help on this. Thanks a lot.

I found that just changing the LR opamp made some change, but not a great one, with some opamps sounding a bit better than others. After changing the buffers to the AD8397s and replacing the opamp with the OPA2111, the difference was astounding. The buffers make MUCH difference. The sound was also very good with the AD8599 and AD8620. The 8066 has excellent imaging and soundstage, similar to the OPA2111, but the highs are not quite as smooth and detailed. (to my ears!) The highly regarded LM4562 just didn't sound as full and musical as the others. It was probably my least favorite, and should, according to the specs, be one of the best. I also found this to be the case when I tried it in my Xin LE.

Aug 29, 2007 at 2:54 AM Post #680 of 2,626
Quote:

Originally Posted by cooperpwc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
On order - with a lead time of 201 days or less. Apparently they are hard to come by.

I can make up some OPA2111 or AD8066/AD8397 sets, if folks find it difficult to locate their own. I don't really want it to become a full-time job though!
600smile.gif

Aug 29, 2007 at 3:04 AM Post #681 of 2,626
Ron,
Which one is your favorite with AD8397s after OPA2111? Do you prefer AD8620 or AD8066?

Quote:

Originally Posted by HiFlight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I found that just changing the LR opamp made some change, but not a great one, with some opamps sounding a bit better than others. After changing the buffers to the AD8397s and replacing the opamp with the OPA2111, the difference was astounding. The buffers make MUCH difference. The sound was also very good with the AD8599 and AD8620. The 8066 has excellent imaging and soundstage, similar to the OPA2111, but the highs are not quite as smooth and detailed. (to my ears!) The highly regarded LM4562 just didn't sound as full and musical as the others. It was probably my least favorite, and should, according to the specs, be one of the best. I also found this to be the case when I tried it in my Xin LE.

Aug 29, 2007 at 3:18 AM Post #682 of 2,626
Quite close, but overall probably the AD8599. Followed by the 8066. I think the 2111 just provides an exquisite sense of realism. For that reason, I put it #1. IMHO, the AD8397 buffers bring out the best in all the opamps I tried. I would guess that most folks would be happy with any of the opamps that I listed in my trials. I still have some different ones yet on the way, but I would be surprised if they will better the present configuration.

Aug 29, 2007 at 3:36 AM Post #684 of 2,626
Quote:

Originally Posted by itsborken /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The difference between the move and stock d1 *amp* is not subtle. The move is much more musical, fluid. I find the D1's bass end to be a little too pronounced. I like bass but it can't overpower the mids/highs. The D1 bass overpowers the midrange. For that matter, the move is more musical/fluid than the Hornet M too to give you a frame of reference.

Actually, the D1 DAC is very nice for some genres (jazz) but I don't like how it puts you back in the 5th row on rock tracks vs the move. The move has you right up front and coupled with its fluidity, it just sounds better to my ears.

Now if you claim the D1 amp sounds the best after opamp rolling, please tell us what opamps you are plugging in that specifically outperform move and in what areas. I assume you are a move owner and not making baseless statements, no?

Note: I dont own neither the D1 nor the MOVE.
biggrin.gif

blink.gif
I'm more concerned with the DAC part of both the amps actually, thats why I ask about the two setup. It's clear that the *stock* D1's amp is inferior to the MOVE's amp, I dont know if opamp rolling on the D1 amp can help it to "outperform" the MOVE amp, but from all the replies I'm sure it can shrink the gap between them.

After that, (which I think)the DAC part comes into play, IF the D1's DAC is significantly better than the one in the MOVE, it should sound better than the MOVE.(as source plays a big part in the sound)
tongue.gif

my 0.02

Aug 29, 2007 at 3:45 AM Post #685 of 2,626
Thanks! Looks like AD8066 it is, as soon as I figure out how to solder it inot the adaptor.

Aug 29, 2007 at 3:46 AM Post #686 of 2,626
I think after the changes in devices, the D1 DOES sound better than the Move, with or withuut the DACs being used. The one thing that I didn't think to mention previously is that the D1s sound is just as rich and detailed at low volume levels as it is at higher listening levels. This is not often the case with most amplifiers. The bass impact and detail is not at all sacrificed by lowering the volume level.

The downside is that any deficiencies in the upstream source or the recording itself are glaringly apparent!

Aug 29, 2007 at 4:29 AM Post #687 of 2,626
Quote:

Originally Posted by globiboulga /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is changing the buffer a simple operation, as for the opamp (pull them out and then place the new ones in)?

Yes.

One thing I noticed is that the D1 uses the new solder that has no lead. This solder is harder and takes a higher temp to melt and use and also, in my experience, takes longer to break in. Now for those who do not believe in break in/ burn in I can't help you but what I found out is that solder as part of the circuit can be a resistant agent and it can harbor other issues. I desoldered some caps and it was difficult to get the solder to flow until I combined it with some of my Cardas solder and it was still more difficult than normal. What this tells me is that for the number of solder points this dac/amp will take some time to continue to form. As I mentioned earlier today i pushed it hard today and noticed positive effects. When changing out opamps you don't have to worry about the solder on the board as you will not be doing anything with it.

Aug 29, 2007 at 4:38 AM Post #688 of 2,626
Quote:

Originally Posted by HiFlight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think after the changes in devices, the D1 DOES sound better than the Move, with or withuut the DACs being used.

I wish more people could try this out and give their opinion. Ron, could you go into more detail on what you think the D1 out does the MOVE?

Aug 29, 2007 at 6:32 AM Post #689 of 2,626
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sieg9198 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Note: I dont own neither the D1 nor the MOVE.
biggrin.gif

It's clear that the *stock* D1's amp is inferior to the MOVE's amp...

Hmmm, I must have missed something. I think the only thing that's clear to me at this point is that only maybe a handful of folks have heard a fully burned-in and fully-formed D1, and even fewer (1?) have conducted any direct comparisons with the Move, so I've yet to read anything approaching a conclusive impression. So I think the jury's still out on this one.

Aug 29, 2007 at 7:02 AM Post #690 of 2,626
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dexdexter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmmm, I must have missed something. I think the only thing that's clear to me at this point is that only maybe a handful of folks have heard a fully burned-in and fully-formed D1, and even fewer (1?) have conducted any direct comparisons with the Move, so I've yet to read anything approaching a conclusive impression. So I think the jury's still out on this one.

I bet they are actually not that different, but it's just head-fi business to make subtleties into exaggerations
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back