New Porcupine Tree today: first impressions?
May 12, 2007 at 6:34 PM Post #31 of 42
Let it be known, I love this band, love this CD and can NOT WAIT to see this band live in a couple weeks. BUT has anyone noticed that Steve tired to match Deadwing? I compare songs such as Lazarus and Trains, two incredible tracks to songs such as My Ashes & Sentimental. I hope I'm just trying to read too deep, but I can't help but seeing a pattern. Please let me know if I'm wrong or it's all in my head! By the way, Sleep Together is MIND BLOWING! This CD is incredible!

May 12, 2007 at 7:07 PM Post #32 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by jules650 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This album has turned me onto this band in a big way. I'm considering their back catalogue. Any recommendations, particularly on sound quality/mastering would be appreciated.

I noticed the UK release of In Absentia has 3 extra tracks, but the US version has a track called '3' on it. Choices, choices..
confused.gif

I'm pretty much in the same situation with the exception of that I tried to like Deadwing and could never get there. I really like this new one and wonder what elese they have that is similar to it?

May 12, 2007 at 7:27 PM Post #33 of 42
this band is AWESOME!!!!!!!

fear of a black planet is great, and anesthetize is a classic. this band is classic.

the more i listen to them, they better they get!

possibly the best band of my generation (im 16).

May 12, 2007 at 7:32 PM Post #34 of 42
I've just got my hands on this new PT CD. I like it just as much as the last 2 from them. This stuff just begs to be cranked LOUD with 2.1 speakers!

I'd love to hear them live.

May 13, 2007 at 6:13 AM Post #35 of 42
This album is fantastic! I simply can't pick a favorite between this, In Absentia, and Deadwing.. all different, all great.

I just saw them live last night, and they were incredible, especially with the tracks from Fear of a Blank Planet. Gavin Harrison was insanely good! They also did the best version of Blackest Eyes from In Absentia, among other great stuff. Everyone in the band was fantastic, and John Wesley (their other touring guitarist/singer) did a ripping solo in one of the early songs that tore it up.

Back to FoaBP though - Anesthetize is EPIC. I love My Ashes, what a beautiful song, and Sentimental is fantastic as well - I love how it starts and sounds like it is some completely crazy time signature, and it is just 4/4 (great rhythmic illusion on the drums coming in too). The synths on this album are fantastic as well, Richard owns the tone.

Good stuff.

May 13, 2007 at 6:20 AM Post #36 of 42
I have listened to this album a few times now. Being a new PT listener and having only one other album...I would have to say I like Deadwing more. This album just seems a little to drawn out in some places. It is a great work of musicianship but I would rather hear songs...not 15+ min pieces that are over extended

May 13, 2007 at 7:21 PM Post #38 of 42
Just picked this up at the record store on a whim today. Saw this thread awhile ago, didn't even read the comments, and saw and article today in a magazine about their music as a reference for audio enthusiasts. Even after just listening to the album in my car on the way home, I'm definitely loving it. All I kept thinking about was that "I couldn't wait to listen to this with my headphones...".
smily_headphones1.gif

May 13, 2007 at 8:44 PM Post #39 of 42
This album just gets better and better.
I didnt start liking it until maybe my 5th or 6th listen.

May 13, 2007 at 9:05 PM Post #40 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bleeding Spark /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The bonus tracks on the In Absentia and Deadwing DVD-A discs make them the definitive versions (for me at least). !

I decided to order "Fear..." DVD-A today, but it wasn't on their site or Amazon. What's the story with this?

May 14, 2007 at 8:00 AM Post #41 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by virometal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I decided to order "Fear..." DVD-A today, but it wasn't on their site or Amazon. What's the story with this?

It's rumoured to be released in September. Current versions of the album are the regular cd and a Ltd Edition cd/dvd-v w/dts 5.1 track & no extras. The DVD-A should contain some bonus material when it comes out!
icon10.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back