New Porcupine Tree today: first impressions?
May 1, 2007 at 12:00 AM Post #17 of 42
I've only listened to it once so far, but it's not grabbing me like In Absentia and Deadwing did.

Must listen more.

May 1, 2007 at 10:01 AM Post #18 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by 3DCadman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've only listened to it once so far, but it's not grabbing me like In Absentia and Deadwing did.

Must listen more.

It didn't grab me either on first listen but now I've went it through 4-5 times and it gets better all the time. It's definitely not my favorite album by PT but very good one. Actually they don't have bad albums at all.
cool.gif

May 2, 2007 at 2:52 AM Post #20 of 42
I hesitated in buying it as the reviews have been mixed. I own all their other albums... and after several passes today.. I would have to rank this one up there as one of their best.

Totally digging this album, best enjoyed from begining to end IMO.

May 2, 2007 at 1:01 PM Post #21 of 42
My Ashes is my favourite track on that album so far. I started listening to Porcupine Tree after reading a thread on head-fi, so thanks for the recommendation. I've got a whole back catalogue to get into now..

May 3, 2007 at 1:13 AM Post #22 of 42
There new album was quite pleasing and A little unexpected after deadwing. Deadwing just didn't seem as cohesive of an album and this one is. Its nice dark. I think Steve Wilson textured this album perfectly. And the drums are some of the best I have heard from PT. It would be hard for me to pull this Album out of my player but Dimmu's album and Dark Tranquillitys album both came out the same day. But yeah PT has not disappointed me with this album.

May 3, 2007 at 4:49 AM Post #23 of 42
its been mentioned before, but the drumming peformance on Anesthetize is nothing short of amazing.. in fact the whole track all 17m:42s of it... is impressive. It sure has the signature of an all time classic...

Nice to see PPT doing so well these days.

May 3, 2007 at 8:59 AM Post #24 of 42
To me the songs on Deadwing undergo more changes or 'sections', whereas the songs on Fear of a Blank Planet seem more linear and reach their logical conclusions w/o meandering or changing. I am only speaking about all songs other than anesthetize. That song is a different animal altogether. I don't know which I like better, as it took me a while to like DW, but it ended up becoming one of my all time favorite discs.

This has been a pretty kick ass time for music; new Porcupine Tree, Nine Inch Nails, Rush and Linkin Park. Wow.

May 8, 2007 at 8:22 AM Post #25 of 42
Wow!
evil_smiley.gif

I got this record few weeks ago, but because of mr. Murphy my CD-player broke down the very same day
frown.gif

So yesterday I got my first real chance to give this record a go. Man, it was a very good thing I didn't know how good the record was while I had no CDP. It really was everything I ever expected and more.
cool.gif

I love heavy music and on this record PT is heavier than ever. On the other hand I love PT for it's versatility and boy are they versatile on this one. Also love the constantly changing rythms(drums) and inventive guitar riffs. All these things are blended so well especially into Anesthezise, which is simply put, a mastyerpiece.

However, I don't think it is the only song on the CD. Just love the title track, enjoy the solo on 'Way out of here' and the atmosphere on 'Sleep together'. The rest of the songs also work well and I really have nothing to complain here. Well, maybe the songs would't have to last 17 minutes, but that's just nitpicking.
wink.gif

May 8, 2007 at 9:47 AM Post #26 of 42
This album has turned me onto this band in a big way. I'm considering their back catalogue. Any recommendations, particularly on sound quality/mastering would be appreciated.

I noticed the UK release of In Absentia has 3 extra tracks, but the US version has a track called '3' on it. Choices, choices..
confused.gif

May 8, 2007 at 4:26 PM Post #27 of 42
Don't want to comment on the SQ, but for anyone interested in earlier production of PT the 'In Absentia' really is a must. It is my favorite PT album of all time. It is closely followed by this new one and 'Stupid dream'.

I think that 'In Absentia' has some catchy tunes and is most melodic. The new one is probably the heaviest, but also at the same time very mellow. The word versatile really describes it well. The 'Stupid Dream' offers incredibly emotional atmosphere. People also like the 'Deadwing' a lot as do I, but I feel it's a bit "lamer" than the others.
tongue.gif

This is my intake on the PT albums. I would like to hear your thoughts too.
cool.gif

May 8, 2007 at 4:42 PM Post #28 of 42
I really enjoy there earlier works. Pick up Signify among the others named. I would also get Warszawa (Live album) and Stars die - the delirium years. It gives you a good alround feel about PT and then lets you focus on Individual albums afterwards.

May 9, 2007 at 8:33 AM Post #29 of 42
Though I'm usualy one of the only, I'd also say Signify. The non-instrumental songs are all both catchy and subtly written, and while I didn't like many of the instrumentals at first, they've really grown on me. Dark Matter and Sever are two of my favorite songs the band's ever done. I have the non-remastered version, and the sound is very natural; I've heard the remastered one's a bit compressed, but nothing too horrible.

And since you mentioned caring about production, there's a caveat to In Absentia and Deadwing: they're mastered acceptably hot and ridiculously hot respectively, though even the latter still sounds aight. Plus, a few of the quieter parts on each have this harsh, high-frequency hiss that always bothers me if I'm listening on headphones. Not sure if it's a mastering thing, Wilson getting too ambitious with vocal altering, or just him getting a bit too intimate with the mic... all I know is that I hate it
rs1smile.gif

May 11, 2007 at 9:11 PM Post #30 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by jules650 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This album has turned me onto this band in a big way. I'm considering their back catalogue. Any recommendations, particularly on sound quality/mastering would be appreciated.

I noticed the UK release of In Absentia has 3 extra tracks, but the US version has a track called '3' on it. Choices, choices..
confused.gif

Their three best albums are all available as DVD-A releases; Deadwing, In Absentia, and Stupid Dream (the reissue of Stupid Dream is a CD/DVD-A two disc edition).

The bonus tracks on the In Absentia and Deadwing DVD-A discs make them the definitive versions (for me at least). Even if you don't have a 5.1 system, the high resolution stereo program sounds fantastic.

The digipak reissues of some of the older albums (Signify, Coma Divine, The Sky Moves Sideways, and Up The Downstair) all sound great. There really isn't a bad sounding Porcupine Tree album.

Even if you can't track down the DVD-A discs, grab In Absentia and Deadwing ASAP!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back