NEW! Pioneer SE-MJ751 Bass Head headphones unboxing & impressions (updated)
Nov 8, 2012 at 4:46 AM Post #76 of 101
Quote:
Hi mate. Sorry for the late reply, I didn't check back to this thread till now. Here is the youtube link (maybe the guy got a defective one?)- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3bL5eBIirQw

Well, it is possible that he got a defective pair somehow - but Pioneer's quality standards are generally pretty good so I doubt it.

I would like to just quickly note three things though: 
1.  Outside of that video, I've never heard anyone complain of leakage on these.
2.  I myself have never had anyone complain to me about leakage while wearing these.
3.  I would speculate that 100% volume would produce leakage in most (if not all) cans.

Since the bro likes Beats so much, he might want to know that they also leak pretty badly... and that problem is still present in their newer models.  For example, check this out:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17nAeqA2Ag4  And they're sitting a lot farther from the camera/mic too than he is.

Quote:
I want to hear what a dual driver hp sounds like. Wonder why there aren't many (any) more, or even triple driver hp's (excluding IEM's obviously).

Ooh boy, that's a much larger discussion.  But here's the short of it.  Getting two drivers to work together coherently and clearly is a devilishly tricky thing to do.  So unless a manufacturer wants to put in the costly engineering time to get it right, it's gonna sound not so great as one would imagine.  With these, I feel that Pioneer definitely did a good job - which makes them all the more special in my book.

Nov 8, 2012 at 4:55 AM Post #77 of 101
Quote:

Well, it is possible that he got a defective pair somehow - but Pioneer's quality standards are generally pretty good so I doubt it.

I would like to just quickly note three things though: 
1.  Outside of that video, I've never heard anyone complain of leakage on these.
2.  I myself have never had anyone complain to me about leakage while wearing these.
3.  I would speculate that 100% volume would produce leakage in most (if not all) cans.

Since the bro likes Beats so much, he might want to know that they also leak pretty badly... and that problem is still present in their newer models.  For example, check this out:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17nAeqA2Ag4  And they're sitting a lot farther from the camera/mic too than he is.

Ooh boy, that's a much larger discussion.  But here's the short of it.  Getting two drivers to work together coherently and clearly is a devilishly tricky thing to do.  So unless a manufacturer wants to put in the costly engineering time to get it right, it's gonna sound not so great as one would imagine.  With these, I feel that Pioneer definitely did a good job - which makes them all the more special in my book.

Based on what you've said here, I might just do an impulse buy. How's the sound? I have the Beats Mixr's and I actually quite like their sound, despite being snobbed off en-mass in these forums. PS- I also own the m-80, sr840, m50 and various other Denon and Audio Technica, so I do know what good quality HP's should sound like. Do these Pioneer's land in the same ballpark as these?

Nov 8, 2012 at 5:11 AM Post #78 of 101
Quote:
Based on what you've said here, I might just do an impulse buy. How's the sound? I have the Beats Mixr's and I actually quite like their sound, despite being snobbed off en-mass in these forums. PS- I also own the m-80, sr840, m50 and various other Denon and Audio Technica, so I do know what good quality HP's should sound like. Do these Pioneer's land in the same ballpark as these?

I liked it quite a bit, and I was very sad to see mine go.  But a good friend was in need of headphones, and he liked those, so what could I do but give them up? 

I haven't heard the Mixrs, but I have heard the V-Moda M-80.  I would say that the MJ751, with its bass dial turned up about 15%~20%, sounds fairly close to the M-80.  With the bass dial at 100%, I would liken the sound to an V-Moda LP2.  As you can imagine, that gives you quite a bit of room to work with in terms of bass response.

But before you make a purchase, you should really try to coax HiFiGuy528 out of hiding (maybe with a PM?).  I know he has the Mixrs, and an M-80, and a couple of Denons, probably an A-T M50.  He'd be able to give you a much better comparison than I.

Nov 8, 2012 at 5:15 AM Post #79 of 101
BTW, tinyman posted a bunch of impressions here
smile.gif

Nov 8, 2012 at 5:20 AM Post #80 of 101
Quote:

I liked it quite a bit, and I was very sad to see mine go.  But a good friend was in need of headphones, and he liked those, so what could I do but give them up? 

I haven't heard the Mixrs, but I have heard the V-Moda M-80.  I would say that the MJ751, with its bass dial turned up about 15%~20%, sounds fairly close to the M-80.  With the bass dial at 100%, I would liken the sound to an V-Moda LP2.  As you can imagine, that gives you quite a bit of room to work with in terms of bass response.

But before you make a purchase, you should really try to coax HiFiGuy528 out of hiding (maybe with a PM?).  I know he has the Mixrs, and an M-80, and a couple of Denons, probably an A-T M50.  He'd be able to give you a much better comparison than I.

cheers mate, I will

Nov 8, 2012 at 5:23 AM Post #81 of 101
Quote:
cheers mate, I will

Cool!  Also, here's a related thread.  I just happened to have left some impressions there.  Wow, feels like so long ago...
smile.gif

Nov 8, 2012 at 5:41 AM Post #83 of 101
Quote:
Too late. I impulse bought one from Japan- $96 AUD delivered. Visiting Headfi is pure evil. Bah, it's only money right?

LOL!  Hey, that's a pretty good price!  I haven't checked the price on these lately, but I can promise you that mine were much more expensive at the time.  Good find!

HiFiGuy528, tinyman392, and I all bought these blind.  And to my knowledge, none of us have regretted it.  So welcome to the club!

And just in case no one has said it yet... welcome to Head-Fi.  Sorry about your wallet.

BTW, just to make sure that you will hate me for all of eternity, I'm going to show you two links that you will love/hate for the rest of your stay here...

1. http://www.head-fi.org/t/505970/the-deals-thread-beware-too-cheap-scam-or-fake-no-affiliate-links-permitted
  2. http://www.head-fi.org/t/518656/the-iem-portable-headphones-deal-alerts-thread-no-affiliate-links-permitted

Just go ahead and start from the latest post. 
very_evil_smiley.gif

Nov 8, 2012 at 5:56 AM Post #84 of 101
Quote:

LOL!  Hey, that's a pretty good price!  I haven't checked the price on these lately, but I can promise you that mine were much more expensive at the time.  Good find!

HiFiGuy528, tinyman392, and I all bought these blind.  And to my knowledge, none of us have regretted it.  So welcome to the club!

And just in case no one has said it yet... welcome to Head-Fi.  Sorry about your wallet.

BTW, just to make sure that you will hate me for all of eternity, I'm going to show you two links that you will love/hate for the rest of your stay here...

1. http://www.head-fi.org/t/505970/the-deals-thread-beware-too-cheap-scam-or-fake-no-affiliate-links-permitted
  2. http://www.head-fi.org/t/518656/the-iem-portable-headphones-deal-alerts-thread-no-affiliate-links-permitted

Just go ahead and start from the latest post. 
very_evil_smiley.gif

Don't worry, I always take full responsibilty for my vices. I also ordered the AKG K267's earlier today. In both cases I was also drawn by the tunable bass features. The 267's are advertised as being usable for both studio and hifi purposes.

Nov 8, 2012 at 8:23 PM Post #85 of 101
Hmm, then you might like the Beyer COP (Custom One Pro).  I haven't heard it, but HiFiGuy has one and he says it sounds pretty darn good.  And it has tunable bass.

Nov 8, 2012 at 11:12 PM Post #89 of 101
The only thing I'm worried about re: the COP's is they appear to be quite large, chunky and heavy. Almost all of my HP listening is done outside the home, so I want the cans to be as comfortable and discrete ,in appearance, as possible. Can't find too many pics on the web with people wearing them. I know appearance is a pretty feeble factor when choosing headphones, but I just don't want to stand out in public.

Nov 9, 2012 at 5:24 AM Post #90 of 101
Quote:
The only thing I'm worried about re: the COP's is they appear to be quite large, chunky and heavy.

Hmm, doesn't look too bad here... 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back